Fine. Stop Working.

150 people falls a bit short of your tens of thousands claim. And a number of those falsely confessed. So no sale.
A study conducted by Ohio State University estimates 10,000 innocent people PER YEAR are locked up. The most common reason: Eyewitness misidentification.

https://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/ronhuff.htm

Studies have been done that say between 2.5 and 5 percent of people arrested are innocent. For every percent, that is 10,000 people.

How Many People Are Wrongly Convicted? Researchers Do the Math.

The staggering number of wrongful convictions in America

Studies have shown, estimates are, blah blah blah. The facts YOU posted don't support your statements.

I often wonder why we have prison industries at all. They take jobs away from non criminal workers.

As for the strike itself, the justice system is a travesty and needs overhaul from front to back. It will go nowhere until someone with influence is incarcerated and is treated like just another arrestee.

Facility I worked at was on 3,000 acres, and, until bleeding hearts got involved, had 1500-2000 of it planted in corn, wheat, and vegetables. it had cows, pigs, and a slaughter house.

It was self sufficient, didn't cost the state a dime to feed 2,000+ inmates.

Wife keeps in contact with friends back there, and it seems that after 100 years, they have closed down all farming.

Seems a waste to me

They should shutdown all prison industries. Put law abiding Americans to work.

Great idea

Just leave those poor misunderstood felons with nothing to do but pump iron, watch television, and plan ways to escape.

Makes a lot of sense.:cuckoo:

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Therefore my plan makes a lot more sense than yours. But then again....outsmarting you is no great feat.

Dear candycorn
Why not create jobs for VETS to mentor and supervise each inmate or former inmate to work to pay back restitution for the costs of debts and damages they owe?

For 50K a year to send an inmate to prison,
that can pay for Veteran to have a full time job supervising and mentoring
that person. They can be taught how to work for the money to pay for their room and board while they save money up to pay for restitution commensurate with the crime abuse or violation they committed.

NOTE: for trafficking and racketeering
the RICO laws allow for victims and communities affected by trafficking
and organized crime to RECLAIM property as restitution that was used in the racketeering. Who is going to fix up the drug and slave houses to be community centers? Vets can have paid jobs supervising the convicted felons to do the work.
As part of restitution.

We can pay Vets and that would provide security when dealing with people in recovery from crime, especially drug and human trafficking.

150 people falls a bit short of your tens of thousands claim. And a number of those falsely confessed. So no sale.

A study conducted by Ohio State University estimates 10,000 innocent people PER YEAR are locked up. The most common reason: Eyewitness misidentification.

https://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/ronhuff.htm

Studies have been done that say between 2.5 and 5 percent of people arrested are innocent. For every percent, that is 10,000 people.

How Many People Are Wrongly Convicted? Researchers Do the Math.

The staggering number of wrongful convictions in America

Last year, a study I co-authored on the issue was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It shows that 4.1 percent of defendants who are sentenced to death in the United States are later shown to be innocent: 1 in 25.

If you support this and think this is ok, you are nothing more than a murder loving republican who is just as guilty as the person who actually killed someone. Because if you support the state killing an innocent man, then you mine as well support the murderer doing the same. Killing innocent people is not better when done under the auspices of a "death sentence."[/QUOTE]I'm not a Republican and you're an idiot. You haven't asked what my opinion was on the death penalty, you just ran your stupid clueless cyber mouth.

I'm all for it if 100% certainty can be determined. And your posts still don't back up your outlandish claims. I think it's too emotional for you.

Great idea

Just leave those poor misunderstood felons with nothing to do but pump iron, watch television, and plan ways to escape.

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Therefore my plan makes a lot more sense than yours. But then again....outsmarting you is no great feat.

So prisoner slaves are bad, but Chinese slaves are good?
Must be...they make Trump's wardrobe.

The real jobs Americans are losing are going to China, not the local prison.
What is the difference between a "real" job and one in your imagination?

But you lefties sure made it clear you don't want Trump to bring back those jobs.

Now that's funny. He never had a specific plan that would bring back one job to the nation. Only fools believe you.

They are called tariffs. Trump was very specific. They work like a charm.
You can think if it has stopping the tax breaks for companies that moved production overseas.

They rarely work except at driving prices for consumer up. The reason the material is being imported--dumbass--is because people here are purchasing them.

But while you're riding the crazy train, please give us a figure; how much do you think the IPHONE would have to costs before Apple decided to have it made here. Just ballpark it.

Of course goods will cost more if you don't use slave labor. Maybe people will learn they don't need to upgrade an iPhone every freakin year. You can't pay American workers high salaries and expect the product to be as cheap. The question is, would you rather use slaves to make your dumb phone so it's cheap, or pay an American worker?

Typical little Candycorn logic. Pick a product made by a company with billions of dollars in the bank, and a lot sitting overseas untaxed to make your liberal point. You are such a dimwit. The people buying $700 phones are not the ones you liberals are suppose to care about. Do your liberal friends just ask you to shut your mouth when they are debating a Trumpster?

Love it when I'm told "who I should care about". #1 its me. I love my Iphone, My I Pad and my Mac. Loved my Ipod back when it had a use unique to it's self. Windows is the best salesman Apple ever had.

But again, since it is the most glaring example of the triumph of globalization, I'll ask you, how much of a tariff needs to be placed on the I-phone to force Apple to open a plant in California--what does the sticker price have to say to make the jobs come back???

Why not attempt to answer a question instead of just showing us how dim you are?

You are contracting yourself. You are the one that was calling for an end to "prison slavery" to give jobs back to "non-criminal Americans". You don't think that will raise the price of whatever they are manufacturing? Of course you only think of yourself and your products. Typical selfish liberal.

Typical little Candycorn logic. Pick a product made by a company with billions of dollars in the bank, and a lot sitting overseas untaxed to make your liberal point. You are such a dimwit. The people buying $700 phones are not the ones you liberals are suppose to care about. Do your liberal friends just ask you to shut your mouth when they are debating a Trumpster?

Love it when I'm told "who I should care about". #1 its me. I love my Iphone, My I Pad and my Mac. Loved my Ipod back when it had a use unique to it's self. Windows is the best salesman Apple ever had.

But again, since it is the most glaring example of the triumph of globalization, I'll ask you, how much of a tariff needs to be placed on the I-phone to force Apple to open a plant in California--what does the sticker price have to say to make the jobs come back???

Why not attempt to answer a question instead of just showing us how dim you are?

You are contracting yourself. You are the one that was calling for an end to "prison slavery" to give jobs back to "non-criminal Americans". You don't think that will raise the price of whatever they are manufacturing? Of course you only think of yourself and your products. Typical selfish liberal.

Never said it wouldn’t. Maybe we wouldn’t have so many people incarcerated if there was not a profit motive involved in making sure you had enough bodies to run a box or broom factory

I often wonder why we have prison industries at all. They take jobs away from non criminal workers.

As for the strike itself, the justice system is a travesty and needs overhaul from front to back. It will go nowhere until someone with influence is incarcerated and is treated like just another arrestee.

Facility I worked at was on 3,000 acres, and, until bleeding hearts got involved, had 1500-2000 of it planted in corn, wheat, and vegetables. it had cows, pigs, and a slaughter house.

Wife keeps in contact with friends back there, and it seems that after 100 years, they have closed down all farming.

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Dear candycorn
Why not create jobs for VETS to mentor and supervise each inmate or former inmate to work to pay back restitution for the costs of debts and damages they owe?

For 50K a year to send an inmate to prison,
that can pay for Veteran to have a full time job supervising and mentoring
that person. They can be taught how to work for the money to pay for their room and board while they save money up to pay for restitution commensurate with the crime abuse or violation they committed.

NOTE: for trafficking and racketeering
the RICO laws allow for victims and communities affected by trafficking
and organized crime to RECLAIM property as restitution that was used in the racketeering. Who is going to fix up the drug and slave houses to be community centers? Vets can have paid jobs supervising the convicted felons to do the work.
As part of restitution.

We can pay Vets and that would provide security when dealing with people in recovery from crime, especially drug and human trafficking.

While I’m happy to consider alternatives, this is a bit beyond the pale. Texas, for example, has about 160,000 people in state prison (not counting the other 600,000 in county jails. The mathematics of what you’re suggesting is something like 8 billion dollars or roughly doubling or tripling the current amount they spend per year on corrections.

A good prison system reforms people into becoming honest hard working members of society when they get out. Teaching people crafts and trades is a big part of that. And just working hard for 8 hours on basic tasks is a big part of that process.

Do you think we have a “good” prison system now?
America has a terrible prison system. There some prisons that are better, but as a whole they fail in the purpose they are supposed to accomplish.

By your definition, we have a “good” system; we try to rehab these thugs who have no interest in rehab. Which is why I say, let them read old textbooks. If they need to get a diploma, televise a teacher into the class and use scan/e-mail technology for them to examine and grade… Beyond that; we shouldn’t be spending a dime helping these folks get a leg up on students who can’t afford/don’t have access to training like the prison industries give these people for free.
Your ignorance is noted.

My ignorance? You say that we should be rehabilitating people who have no interest in rehabilitation. So I’ll take your indignation as a badge of honor.
My ignorance? You say that we should be rehabilitating people who have no interest in rehabilitation.
I made no such statement. The thread is there for all to see.
But the purpose of prison is to people to repent and do better when they get out. Prison is derived from the word penance.

Do you think we have a “good” prison system now?
America has a terrible prison system. There some prisons that are better, but as a whole they fail in the purpose they are supposed to accomplish.

By your definition, we have a “good” system; we try to rehab these thugs who have no interest in rehab. Which is why I say, let them read old textbooks. If they need to get a diploma, televise a teacher into the class and use scan/e-mail technology for them to examine and grade… Beyond that; we shouldn’t be spending a dime helping these folks get a leg up on students who can’t afford/don’t have access to training like the prison industries give these people for free.
Your ignorance is noted.

My ignorance? You say that we should be rehabilitating people who have no interest in rehabilitation. So I’ll take your indignation as a badge of honor.
My ignorance? You say that we should be rehabilitating people who have no interest in rehabilitation.
But the purpose of prison is to people to repent and do better when they get out. Prison is derived from the word penance.

No. the purpose of prison is to punish criminals.

Your ignorance is noted.

That's how some see it.
That's why 90% go back to crime.

Your ignorance is noted.

That's how some see it.
Oh bullshit! I worked with those guys. The one who go back want to go back. Idiots like you will only create more crime and dead bodies.

Your ignorance is noted.

That's how some see it.
Oh bullshit! I worked with those guys. The one who go back want to go back. Idiots like you will only create more crime and dead bodies.
Show me where I claimed career criminals don't exist.
But the purpose of a good prison system is to get people to repent and learn to lead honest productive lives when they get out.

You will not reach everyone, but those that you do are good citizens. Those that you don't are the career criminals that should be segregated in a good prison system.

You may think cruelty will get people to become better, but it just makes them worse.

That's how some see it.
But the purpose of a good prison system is to get people to repent and learn to lead honest productive lives when they get out.

You will not reach everyone, but those that you do are good citizens. Those that you don't are the career criminals that should be segregated in a good prison system.

You may think cruelty will get people to become better, but it just makes them worse.

You can't understand simple statements without blathering out libtard bullshit can you? I never said you said shit! I posted form my experience working in a prison and that's a fact. You have no facts, period!

That's how some see it.

You can't understand simple statements without blathering out libtard bullshit can you? I never said you said shit! I posted form my experience working in a prison and that's a fact. You have no facts, period!
You're obviously calling me at best, wrong. And the only point you make is there are career criminals who will not change.

You either need to read or point out where I was inaccurate.

Never said it wouldn’t. Maybe we wouldn’t have so many people incarcerated if there was not a profit motive involved in making sure you had enough bodies to run a box or broom factory
Maybe we wouldn't have so many people incarcerated if people stopped committing crimes. It's not difficult to stay out of prison. Seems to be the progressive Agenda to want to free most of the prison population so they can wreck havoc on law abiding citizens.

Maybe we wouldn't have so many people incarcerated if people stopped committing crimes. It's not difficult to stay out of prison. Seems to be the progressive Agenda to want to free most of the prison population so they can wreck havoc on law abiding citizens.

Whatever. Most people are there for drug crimes. One of which, marijuana, is less lethal than alcohol or cigarettes.

As for not having people in jail…
Can’t have that. If they legalized drugs tomorrow, we’d start imprisoning dead beat dads and people who drive without insurance. The system now needs people to support it’s costs. It’s no longer about public safety. Like many think that the Miranda warning says that the charged get free representation. Not the case. A lawyer is assigned to you. The accused has to pay for it. The accused has to pay for parole officers, drug testing associated with parole, court costs, etc… And if they don’t pay? More jail time… It’s a fully functioning collection agency for the States at this point. The first people to tell you that would be the police officers who regularly arrest the same people time and again.

I'm guessing you have had no personal interaction with the criminal element in this country, nor have you visited one of our penal institutions.

So, that pretty much makes you distinctly unqualified to pass judgement, don't you think?

You'd guess wrong but don't feel bad; you're usually wrong when you're not guessing also.

But just as an example of what I'm talking about...a guy is arrested for criminal trespassing because he's homeless. Now that he has a misdemeanor on his record, he can no longer go to many shelters. So he's homeless and not able to go to the Salvation Army for example. They let him out on a PR bond and he's wandering the streets until his court date comes about. He doesn't show up (hard to find a calendar or a tree to hang it on) and is now hit with an FTA on top of the original charge when he's arrested again. This time the judge sentences him to time in the clink so now the original criminal trespass has blossomed into jail time at taxpayers expense.

Just one of several examples of how out of whack the system is.

The only thing out of whack is your manipulation of the feasibility of such a scenario.

1) Your guy is arrested for criminal trespassing. He doesn't have a misdemeanor on his record YET, so all the rest of the folderol about calendars, Salvation Army, etc. don't apply.

2) You have created an impossible scenario that can't happen ...

3) It is extremely unlikely that a homeless person would actually be charged. No one in the judicial/prosecutorial system is interested in clogging up the process with cases that have no resolution. In fact, the only time you will see DAs move forward on a case like this is if they can figure out a way to help the guy .... getting him dried out, off the weed, or hospitalization.

4) Your scenario is fictitious... as is your feigned concern for the homeless guy.

Seems a waste to me

Great idea

My plan saves jobs.
Your plan costs jobs.

Actually, your plan is nonsense ... it saves no jobs. Linear thinking is one thing, tunnel vision is something else.
The guys at Aramark would differ with you but then again, they know what they are talking about. You? Don't be silly.
Michigan cancels Aramark contract to provide food service at state prisons

Next time, why don't you actually read your reference?

Aramak lost the contract to another company ... no jobs were eliminated. They were taken over by a different company, who have the same number of slots - most of which are invariably filled by workers already in place (former Aramak employees).

This, of course, had absolutely nothing to do with your supposition that prisoners shouldn't be required to work because they are taking jobs from other people.

That's how some see it.

Kiss them on the cheek, pat them on the ass ... and send them back out.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Forum List

Back