Finally, "The Little Mermaid", who is now black... Is in theaters!

Who really cares?

Everything has to be black, white, brown, yellow, etc etc

You're being played people
Conservatives care, obviously – hence the anger, fear, outrage, racism, bigotry, and hate.

A conservative can’t even go to the movies or watch TV without being forced to see characters and actors of color – it’s a facet of white grievance politics and racist replacement theory.

Which is why traditionally their movies for kids were under 90 minutes. Even Mulan was pushing it at 115 minutes. This thing went on for 135 minutes, which is another common review complaint is the bloat in the story that was not needed.

You got it.

Conservatives care, obviously – hence the anger, fear, outrage, racism, bigotry, and hate.

How about just admitting it is not all that great of a movie?

Hell, even NPR admits so.

I haven't really been a fan of Disney's recent live-action remakes of its most beloved animated titles — a practice that may make commercial sense, but feels increasingly like an artistic dead end. Even so, I tried to keep an open mind when I heard that The Little Mermaid, one of my favorite movies in the Disney canon, was getting the do-over treatment.

This kind of retread may be unnecessary, but unnecessary doesn't have to mean unenjoyable. And with that brilliant Alan Menken score and those ingenious Howard Ashman lyrics — and yes, I can sing the whole thing from start to finish — really, how bad could it be?

The answer is: not that bad, but also not that good. Like a lot of its fellow Disney remakes, this Little Mermaid too often feels like a dutiful cover version rather than an inspired reimagining.

But the characters who fare the worst this time around are probably Ariel's faithful critter friends. In the role of Scuttle, the raucous seagull, a little of Awkwafina's goofball shtick goes a long way. And Daveed Diggs, of Hamilton fame, struggles to make an appealing sidekick out of Sebastian, the worrywart crab who tries to keep Ariel out of trouble. That has less to do with his acting and singing than with just how unappealing the character designs are. What made Sebastian and Ariel's fish friend Flounder so memorable in the original film was their glorious cartoonishness; here, they look creepy and dead-eyed.

And that in general is what most have been saying. Not needed, bland, not the same movie or magic as the 1989 original.

A conservative can’t even go to the movies or watch TV without being forced to see characters and actors of color – it’s a facet of white grievance politics and racist replacement theory.

Blacks have a huge presence in movies and television these days. What's the problem? There's a lot of talent out there.

Blacks have a huge presence in movies and television these days. What's the problem? There's a lot of talent out there.

And as I have been saying, if one was really to get outraged, then where is the screaming about the movie coming out next week?

Is there any screaming about the next Spider-Verse movie? Was there any about the last Spider-Verse movie?

All this talk about "Conservative screaming" is largely in their own minds.

How about just admitting it is not all that great of a movie?

Hell, even NPR admits so.

And that in general is what most have been saying. Not needed, bland, not the same movie or magic as the 1989 original.

White grievance politics and racist replacement theory – the unwarranted fear that white Americans are being ‘marginalized,’ that white culture is ‘under attack,’ and that America is being ‘taken away’ from whites.

And popular entertainment is one of the methods the above will be accomplished: to take from white Americans their beloved cultural icons and touchstones – white characters portrayed as black.

Yes, that the racist right believes this nonsense is idiotic – of course, conservativism is fundamentally idiotic.

White grievance politics and racist replacement theory – the unwarranted fear that white Americans are being ‘marginalized,’ that white culture is ‘under attack,’ and that America is being ‘taken away’ from whites.

Where was the screaming that a Spider-Man movie was made with a black Spider-Man? Where is the screaming about a sequel coming out next week, with the same black Spider-Man, who will likely even kiss a white Gwen Stacy?

Well? If they were outraged over a mermaid, then they must be foaming at the mouth at that. Where is that outrage? And it is expected their romance evolves in the movie next week, like it has in the comics. So once again, where is the outrage?

^^^Republican fanfiction writers get so excited to write gay story lines. LOL!

😄

LOL

17SPOKANE2-superJumbo.jpg

Guess that's why I haven't gone to see a movie at the theater in at least 15 years, when this POS disney crap is the "best" they got!

I can actually still remember the last movie I saw in the theaters. I was stuck in Richmond California with nothing to do, so went to see Avengers: Endgame. That was 2019. The movie before that was The Force Awakens and Pixels in 2015. Even the five minute short it was based on was better than Pixels, and I realized Force Awakens was just a remake of the original Star Wars. I used to see tons of movies in theaters, sometimes several a week. But the last times I went regularly was in the early 2000's. By the 2010s I realized there was really nothing coming out that I wanted to see. And that is reinforced even more now as if I wait just 2 months I can buy the movie at Walmart for the price I would have paid for admission to see it once.

And looking through the films to come out for the rest of the year, only a few even raise a little interest in me (but not enough to go to a theater). The new Spider-Verse, The Flash, then there is the Haunted Mansion. Good god, yet another Disney movie based on a ride? Yes, Pirates had an alright run. But Mission to Mars, The Country Bears, Tomorrowland, and Jungle Cruise did not teach them the lesson that movies based on their rides are more likely to fail than any others?

Expendables 4, maybe. But I will likely just wait to buy it. No interested in Kraven, I did not care much for the character in the 70s or 80s. Same with Dune 2. First was mediocre, the miniseries did it better I thought. No interest in The Marvels, nor the Hunger Games Prequel. But finally in November one I might see, Napoleon. No interest at all in Wonka, why not just do the actual sequel? Aquaman and the new Ghostbusters, maybe. But once again, much more likely to just wait the 2 months and buy it.

There really is just not much of interest for me to see in theaters anymore. This year we had a reboot of House Party (I liked the Kid n Play movie, just let it rest), yet another Teen Wolf reboot, yet another Magic Mike, Ant Man was OK, got it on DVD. Same with Shazam. But that just goes to show how pointless going to a cinema is, movies released in February and March are already on sale on DVD.

I can actually still remember the last movie I saw in the theaters. I was stuck in Richmond California with nothing to do, so went to see Avengers: Endgame. That was 2019. The movie before that was The Force Awakens and Pixels in 2015. Even the five minute short it was based on was better than Pixels, and I realized Force Awakens was just a remake of the original Star Wars. I used to see tons of movies in theaters, sometimes several a week. But the last times I went regularly was in the early 2000's. By the 2010s I realized there was really nothing coming out that I wanted to see. And that is reinforced even more now as if I wait just 2 months I can buy the movie at Walmart for the price I would have paid for admission to see it once.

And looking through the films to come out for the rest of the year, only a few even raise a little interest in me (but not enough to go to a theater). The new Spider-Verse, The Flash, then there is the Haunted Mansion. Good god, yet another Disney movie based on a ride? Yes, Pirates had an alright run. But Mission to Mars, The Country Bears, Tomorrowland, and Jungle Cruise did not teach them the lesson that movies based on their rides are more likely to fail than any others?

Expendables 4, maybe. But I will likely just wait to buy it. No interested in Kraven, I did not care much for the character in the 70s or 80s. Same with Dune 2. First was mediocre, the miniseries did it better I thought. No interest in The Marvels, nor the Hunger Games Prequel. But finally in November one I might see, Napoleon. No interest at all in Wonka, why not just do the actual sequel? Aquaman and the new Ghostbusters, maybe. But once again, much more likely to just wait the 2 months and buy it.

There really is just not much of interest for me to see in theaters anymore. This year we had a reboot of House Party (I liked the Kid n Play movie, just let it rest), yet another Teen Wolf reboot, yet another Magic Mike, Ant Man was OK, got it on DVD. Same with Shazam. But that just goes to show how pointless going to a cinema is, movies released in February and March are already on sale on DVD.

Other than must sees at IMAX, with the ability to stream just about any movie for free, not much reason to go to the theater.

I can actually still remember the last movie I saw in the theaters.

You're a better man than me. I can only guess that the last movie I saw in a theater might have been the last Batman movie where he fights a guy with a big steel mask on his face or maybe the first Chris Pine Star Trek movie.

Forum List

Back