Fed recmomendation .05% Alc level..getting a little crazy?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
"Save more lives" - or just more over-reaching by the government?
You be the judge.
You weigh 180 lbs...eat dinner out with a good craft beer...finish that beer in less than an hour...you might go to jail.
Many craft brews have ABV between 7-9% ABV. About like drinking 1 1/2 crap yellow beers like Bud/Miller/Coors.
1 beer...or 1 1/2 beers in just under one hour. You could go to jail.
Too far?

I was a bit shocked by this and had the same thought.
You have 2 beers or some wine at a wedding reception out of town and are
not familiar with the area so you are driving a little slow.

It's been 3-4 hours since you had those drinks.
An officer sees out of town plates....

A few hrs later you are spending the weekend in jail....

What utter BS...

Bigger and bigger government.
Out of control government...

How long are the people going to tolerate this.

What utter BS...

If it's 3-4 hours since you had just two drinks, you'd be okay, wouldn't you? I don't think you'd still be .05 or above. It does depend on the individual, though.

I think if driving is compromised at .05...it should be illegal to drive at .05. Simple as that.

You be the judge.
You weigh 180 lbs...eat dinner out with a good craft beer...finish that beer in less than an hour...you might go to jail.
Many craft brews have ABV between 7-9% ABV. About like drinking 1 1/2 crap yellow beers like Bud/Miller/Coors.
Too far?

Getting a little crazy? Yes.

Going too far? Yes.

What utter BS...

If it's 3-4 hours since you had just two drinks, you'd be okay, wouldn't you? I don't think you'd still be .05 or above. It does depend on the individual, though.

I think if driving is compromised at .05...it should be illegal to drive at .05. Simple as that.

My feeling is that it's horse shit, and here's why.

I could be driving with a dog on my lap, loud music, on the phone, while reading a newspaper, drinking coffee and smoking a cigarette... Speeding and weaving between lanes, and wreck... And get a waiverable careless driving ticket.

Driving perfectly to a random drunk stop with a whopping two beers in my system, and I'm a criminal?

Your driving can be compromised if you drive in bad weather....
Are we going to get arrested for that now as well?...

After having a few I have no idea what my level is.

So what about the guy who has a bong hit and hits the road, how are they going to test him? What level of THC is considered incapacitated? Sad to think they pay all this attention the .03 difference and yet turn the cheek when it comes to the pot head.

Amazing! The Right is so paranoid that they are willing to compromise safety so they can exercise their right to get drunker than they should behind the wheel!

Big government over reaction?

No, more like a complete abrogation of personal responsibility and then claim it as a protected right. Ridiculous!

You be the judge.
Too far?

What I would like to know is the average BAC of someone who actually gets into an accident. I would guess its in the .15-.30 range most of the time, not .05 to .08

DUI BAC's are a needed "fudge factor" because of the simple fact that different people react to alcohol differently, and basing conviction on impairment is far to difficult than saying "if you are over "X" you are by statute impaired.

It is likely that most drunk drivers who cause accidents are bad drivers to begin with. A good driver with a .15 BAC is probably less of a risk than a bad one with a .02 BAC.

You be the judge.
Too far?

Never happen. The alcoholic beverage industry lobby won't let it. Too many people would stop drinking in restaurants all together and bars would shut down. Even Obama drinks beer. HE won't let THAT happen.

Amazing! The Right is so paranoid that they are willing to compromise safety so they can exercise their right to get drunker than they should behind the wheel!

No, more like a complete abrogation of personal responsibility and then claim it as a protected right. Ridiculous!

BAC and impairment are not perfectly scalable on a person to person basis. ON AVERAGE a person with a BAC over "X" is usually impaired with regards for driving.

I would put my driving at a BAC of .10 against a stone sober crappy driver any day of the week.

BAC and impairment are not perfectly scalable on a person to person basis. ON AVERAGE a person with a BAC over "X" is usually impaired with regards for driving.

I would put my driving at a BAC of .10 against a stone sober crappy driver any day of the week.
You're so responsible! Congratulations! Driving with a blood alcohol level over the limit shows just how considerate you are. Tel that to the next person who has lost a loved one to someone with the same level of concern and responsibility as you.

It would kill bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

It would force folks to stay home if they wanted to consume a couple of beers.

Home, where the government can better control you...

The problem is that if that crappy driver tangles with you well you've been drinking, it's you who will end up in jail.

You're so responsible! Congratulations! Driving with a blood alcohol level over the limit shows just how considerate you are. Tel that to the next person who has lost a loved one to someone with the same level of concern and responsibility as you.

Typical knee jerk legislation. .05 is a lie. Two beers in an hour is not impairment. If you think it is then you are stupid or a liar. If you are impaired at .05 then you were impaired BEFORE you drank ANY alcohol.

Wow, this is funny! I used to be a drinker and couldn't, for example, enjoy a nice dinner unless there was some alcohol involved.

You should hear yourselves. The rationalization is deafening. : )

Thank God I was able to find out there is life without alcohol. And thank God I was able to do it without the "help" of AA. : ) It's great to drive around now, and if a cop pulls up behind me I'm not going "Oh, shit!!!"

Those were NOT... the "good old days." lol

Last edited:

Forum List

Back