Factors that have made this country so darn divided

This country is divided because the left is following the instructions of their idols and leaders, Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Alinsky, Lenin, Marx, and most recently Clinton and our corrupt media.

Divide the country by race, religion, ethnicity, income (especially income), geography, age, sex, sexual preference. Divide and conquer is not a new concept.

The founders understood it and wrote our constitution to give each citizen an equal vote. It worked for over 200 years. Now, we have let the far left zealots who hate the constitution take power and rule this country. If Hillary Clinton becomes president, the USA as a free democratic representative republic is over. The rule of law will be ignored and she will rule by personal vendetta and continue to eliminate anyone who dares challenge her absolute power.

We are at a tipping point. We will know today if the country will survive.

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.

I blame the rise of rightwing media and the internet over the last thirty years

It is a media intent on establishing and enforcing an extreme conservative agenda. There is no room for compromise, a win-win agreement means the other guy was allowed to win and can't be allowed

There is no middle ground in politics anymore. Those who are willing to compromise are attacked in the media and driven from the party.

Our Government was built on the idea of compromise and working together

Our government is broken

A factor to substantiate the lack of "middle ground" is that for us on the left, we don't seem to really have that term used by the right......and that is, RINOs.
Neo liberal is the term I would use for those on the left that bought into Bill Clinton's New Democrats - Wikipedia policies, which have been accepted by democrats as the norm.

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.

It is a media intent on establishing and enforcing an extreme conservative agenda. There is no room for compromise, a win-win agreement means the other guy was allowed to win and can't be allowed

There is no middle ground in politics anymore. Those who are willing to compromise are attacked in the media and driven from the party.

Our government is broken

A factor to substantiate the lack of "middle ground" is that for us on the left, we don't seem to really have that term used by the right......and that is, RINOs.

when Harry Reid sat on over 300 bills passed by the house, was he looking for compromise, was he looking for the middle ground?

Were the dems who passed Obozocare by dem only votes in the middle of the night looking for compromise?

You are full of shit if you think the dems were not responsible for this division.

This country is divided because the left is following the instructions of their idols and leaders, Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Alinsky, Lenin, Marx, and most recently Clinton and our corrupt media.

Divide the country by race, religion, ethnicity, income (especially income), geography, age, sex, sexual preference. Divide and conquer is not a new concept.

The founders understood it and wrote our constitution to give each citizen an equal vote. It worked for over 200 years. Now, we have let the far left zealots who hate the constitution take power and rule this country. If Hillary Clinton becomes president, the USA as a free democratic representative republic is over. The rule of law will be ignored and she will rule by personal vendetta and continue to eliminate anyone who dares challenge her absolute power.

A fine example of why the rhetoric on the right has become so bizarre

It is no longer good enough to say you disagree with a political position. The rightwing crazies (deplorables) demand that the opposition be treated as truly evil, un-American, commies.......how can you ever compromise with someone who you consider evil?

when Harry Reid sat on over 300 bills passed by the house, was he looking for compromise, was he looking for the middle ground?

Were the dems who passed Obozocare by dem only votes in the middle of the night looking for compromise?

You are full of shit if you think the dems were not responsible for this division.

Bills rejected by Republicans since Obama took office:

1. Tax on Companies that ship jobs overseas- A bill that would have eliminated a tax break that companies get when they ship jobs overseas. Republicans blocked this, allowing companies to keep the tax break they receive when they ship jobs to other countries.
  2. Political Ad disclosure bill- Would have required all donors to political campaigns to reveal themselves. Republicans blocked this, not once but twice.
  3. Subpoena Power for the Committee investigating the BP Oil Spill – Give subpoena power to the independent committee responsible for investigating BP’s roll in the oil spill. Republicans attempted to block this.
  4. The Small Business Jobs Act -would give LOCAL, community banks access to billions of dollars to loan to small businesses. Republicans blocked this, then attempted to block it a second time and failed.
  5. The DREAM Act- Gives immigrant youth who were brought here as children a path to citizenship by earning a college degree or serving the military for 2 years. Republicans blocked this.
  6. Repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”- Would have repealed the law that forces gay and lesbian services members to lie about their sexuality and gives the military the right to discharge soldiers based on their sexuality. Republicans blocked this many times and Democrats were finally able to pass it with the support of just 2 Republicans.
  7. Senator Franken’s Anti-Rape Amendment to the Defense Appropriations Bill – Makes it so that women raped overseas while working for foreign contractors have the right to have their case heard in an American court instead of having their case mediated by the company they work for. Only Republican men voted against this, but it passed.
  8. Benefits for Homeless Veterans- Would have expanded benefits to homeless veterans and homeless veterans with children. Republicans blocked this.
  9. Affordable Health Care For America Act- Prevents insurance companies from discriminating against you on the basis of “pre-existing conditions”. Requires that insurance companies spend 85 cents of every dollar that you pay on your actual health care. Limits health insurance companies profit margins. Republicans blocked this for months before it finally passed and have vowed to repeal it if they are elected.
  10. Health Care for the 9/11 First Responders who got sick from being at Ground Zero- Would provide billions of dollars in health care to help the 9/11 First Responders who were at Ground Zero on 9/11 and are now sick because of it. Republicans blocked this.
  11. The Jobs Bill- Offsets the payroll tax for 1 year for companies that hire new employees, or people receiving unemployment insurance. Also gives other tax incentives to companies hiring new employees. Republicans attempted to block this.
  12. Wall Street Reform- Puts stricter regulations on the banks, preventing them from becoming “too big to fail”. Curbs reckless spending practices that caused the banking crisis. Republicans attempted to block this.
  13. American Recovery and Reinvestment Act- Pumped billions of dollars into state and local Governments to prevent us from sinking into a second Great Depression. Republicans opposed this but now want to take credit for the parts of it that we know are successful.
  14. Oil Spill Liability- Raises the liability on what companies can be made to pay to clean up after an oil spill. Republicans blocked this.
  15. Immigration Reform- Republican suggested comprehensive immigration reform until Obama supported it. Now they’re rabidly opposed to it and even voted against their own legislation. Republicans blocked this.
  16. Unemployment extension bill HR-4213- Would provide additional aid to the millions of Americans still on unemployment who are just trying to support themselves and their families. Republicans blocked this bill for 8 weeks before it finally passed. Republicans blocked this for 8 weeks before it finally passed.
  17. Fair Pay Act of 2009- Also called the Lily Ledbetter bill. Requires that women receive equal compensation to men for doing the same work. Republicans attempted to block this.
  18. No permanent military bases in Afghanistan.
  19. Report identifying hybrid or electric propulsion systems and other fuel-saving technologies for incorporation into tactical motor vehicles.
  20. Protection of child custody arrangements for parents who are members of the Armed Forces deployed in support of a contingency operation.
  21. Improvements to Department of Defense domestic violence programs.
  22. Department of Defense recognition of spouses of members of the Armed Forces.
  23. Department of Defense recognition of children of members of the Armed Forces.
  24. Enhancements to the Troops-to-Teachers Program.
  25. Fiscal year 2011 increase in military basic pay.
  26. Improving aural protection for members of the Armed Forces.
  27. Comprehensive policy on neurocognitive assessment by the military health care system.
  28. Authority to make excess nonlethal supplies available for domestic emergency assistance.
And those were just some of the progressive provisions. On the conservative side, there are these, and more:

• Prohibition on the use of funds for the transfer or release of individuals detained at United States Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
  • Prohibition on the use of funds to modify or construct facilities in the United States to house detainees transferred from United States Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
  • Prohibition on use of funds to give Miranda warnings to Al Qaeda terrorists.

Our government is broken

All Republicans needed to do was stop filibustering existing Democratic legislation. Reid would have gladly put Republican bills come up for a vote if Republicans would allow Democratic bills to come to the floor

It is no longer good enough to say you disagree with a political position. The rightwing crazies (deplorables) demand that the opposition be treated as truly evil, un-American, commies.......how can you ever compromise with someone who you consider evil?

the corrupt left led by the corrupt Hillary and her compliant corrupt media are truly evil.

Putting someone in the white house who has violated national security laws, used a foundation to launder money into her personal account, who has enabled the perversions of her husband, and who has found ways to eliminate (murder/suicide) her enemies is the personification of evil.

No, we should not compromise with those who seek to destroy this nation and all it stands for.

I have been a life-long Republican, and if someone told me even years ago, that there was this much ignorance, anger, hate, fear, bigotry, misogyny and extremism within the party, I would have never believed it. I have seen it with my own eyes know, and have switched my party status to Independent and voted for Hillary Clinton to insure that the most incompetent, unqualified, DANGEROUS, immature, emotionally unstable candidate, Donald Trump, never gets within a 500 mile radius of the Oval office.

But to add to your comment--you forgot to mention FOX NEWS and every single Reich wing talk shows place in this. Who have fed their audiences 3 or more daily hours of Reich wing hyperbole, half truths and enough conspiracy theories to fill the capital building from floor to ceiling. They are required to keep their audiences at a certain level of hysteria for those ratings and obscene profit breaks. They are mostly responsible for this hate, and they are also responsible for shattering the Republican party into pieces.

rush+limbaugh+and+stupid+people.png

This shows how corrupt they really are.

Our government is broken

All Republicans needed to do was stop filibustering existing Democratic legislation. Reid would have gladly put Republican bills come up for a vote if Republicans would allow Democratic bills to come to the floor

bullshit, and you know it

I blame you, you blame me.
congress laughs in utter glee.
A short term job is now for life
Secured for them in ignorant strife

Our fingers we wag our teeth we gnash
While off they run with bags of cash
Crooks have put these rifts in place
So wipe that sleepy look right off your face....

I have been a life-long Republican, and if someone told me even years ago, that there was this much ignorance, anger, hate, fear, bigotry, misogyny and extremism within the party, I would have never believed it. I have seen it with my own eyes know, and have switched my party status to Independent and voted for Hillary Clinton to insure that the most incompetent, unqualified, DANGEROUS, immature, emotionally unstable candidate, Donald Trump, never gets within a 500 mile radius of the Oval office.

But to add to your comment--you forgot to mention FOX NEWS and every single Reich wing talk shows place in this. Who have fed their audiences 3 or more daily hours of Reich wing hyperbole, half truths and enough conspiracy theories to fill the capital building from floor to ceiling. They are mostly responsible for this hate, and they are also responsible for shattering the Republican party into pieces.

you are seriously confused.

I blame you, you blame me.
congress laughs in utter glee.
A short term job is now for life
Secured for them in ignorant strife

Our fingers we wag our teeth we gnash
While off they run with bags of cash
Crooks have put these rifts in place
So wipe that sleepy look right off your face....

your poem makes a very good case for term limits

But to add to your comment--you forgot to mention FOX NEWS and every single Reich wing talk shows place in this. Who have fed their audiences 3 or more daily hours of Reich wing hyperbole, half truths and enough conspiracy theories to fill the capital building from floor to ceiling. They are mostly responsible for this hate, and they are also responsible for shattering the Republican party into pieces.

Well, Mr. Tuna.....you're just underscoring just how pissed off you're going to be tomorrow.

Well, Mr. Tuna.....you're just underscoring just how pissed off you're going to be tomorrow.

yes, gnat. if my country puts the corrupt lying cheating Hillary Clinton in the white house I will be very pissed off and disappointed. Our country will have chosen dictatorial socialism over constitutional freedom and that will spell the beginning of the end of this great nation. Yes, I will be pissed, sad, disappointed, but I will go on and make the best of a bad situation. I have made my money in a free economy, my concern is for my kids and grandkids who will have to live in the mess that Hillary Clinton will create.

But with her serious physical and mental health issues, you are actually putting Tim Kaine in the white house, does that make you sleep well?

Career politicians are to blame for what we have now, and the puppet masters control the career politicians.
By the way, no matter who wins there is gonna be absolutely zero healing… LOL

yes, gnat. if my country puts the corrupt lying cheating Hillary Clinton in the white house I will be very pissed off and disappointed. Our country will have chosen dictatorial socialism over constitutional freedom and that will spell the beginning of the end of this great nation. Yes, I will be pissed, sad, disappointed, but I will go on and make the best of a bad situation. I have made my money in a free economy, my concern is for my kids and grandkids who will have to live in the mess that Hillary Clinton will create.

But with her serious physical and mental health issues, you are actually putting Tim Kaine in the white house, does that make you sleep well?

Putting aside the validity of your statement for a moment, do you not see the folly in putting Mike Pence in office.

the corrupt left led by the corrupt Hillary and her compliant corrupt media are truly evil.

Putting someone in the white house who has violated national security laws, used a foundation to launder money into her personal account, who has enabled the perversions of her husband, and who has found ways to eliminate (murder/suicide) her enemies is the personification of evil.

No, we should not compromise with those who seek to destroy this nation and all it stands for.

Thank you for once again demonstrating the extreme binary nature of todays Republicans, There is no gray...only black and white
No middle ground....only a demand for complete victory or nothing (why Republicans end up with nothing)

The language from the rightwing deplorables revolves around simplistic, grade school pronouncements.....They lie, they are corrupt, they are evil, they will destroy this nation

A fine example of why we got Trump

Putting aside the validity of your statement for a moment, do you not see the folly in putting Mike Pence in office.

not at all, Pence would be a very good president if something happened to Trump. Neither Clinton or Kaine would be a good president IMHO.

not at all, Pence would be a very good president if something happened to Trump. Neither Clinton or Kaine would be a good president IMHO.

You are not one of those people that rails against the establishment and defends Trump on those grounds I guess.

Thank you for once again demonstrating the extreme binary nature of todays Republicans, There is no gray...only black and white
No middle ground....only a demand for complete victory or nothing (why Republicans end up with nothing)

The language from the rightwing deplorables revolves around simplistic, grade school pronouncements.....They lie, they are corrupt, they are evil, they will destroy this nation

A fine example of why we got Trump

We got Trump because a very large sector of America (half or more) are fed up with the lying corrupt establishment in both parties. We are tired of being lied to by both parties, we are tired of corruption and incompetence in DC. We are fed up with politicians whose only goal is increasing their personal wealth at our expense. We are fed up with a government that is 20 trillion in debt.

Half of America sees Trump as a way to end that corruption and incompetence.

by late tonight we will know if the country is crashing into failed European socialism or returning to constitutional freedom.

The country deserves what it votes for.

Forum List

Back