Factors that have made this country so darn divided

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.

The divisiveness goes further back than that. In the 1980s and 1990s the Democrat party went through a process of purging all the conservative Democrats, middle Democrats, and political independents. What remained were the radical leftists.

The evidence is the Republican party dominating union workers votes in 2016. That would never have happened in the 80s or 90s.
You mean they voted for Reagancrap pie in the sky back then, and have been on a diet of New BS GOP bs propaganda ever since? see sig

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.

The divisiveness goes further back than that. In the 1980s and 1990s the Democrat party went through a process of purging all the conservative Democrats, middle Democrats, and political independents. What remained were the radical leftists.

The evidence is the Republican party dominating union workers votes in 2016. That would never have happened in the 80s or 90s.
You mean they voted for Reagancrap pie in the sky back then, and have been on a diet of New BS GOP bs propaganda ever since? see sig

Did you actually read my post? The people who voted Republican in the last election voted Democrat in the 1980s and 1990s. This is not rocket science. The purges worked.

Did you actually read my post? The people who voted Republican in the last election voted Democrat in the 1980s and 1990s. This is not rocket science. The purges worked.
What purges lol? They just got stupid...fell for bs. After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!!

[

Good- then they can get insured. When will the GOP allow an unfakable SS ID card so we can END the illegals problem?

A Social Security card is not an ID, franco hater dupe bot, it doesn't even have a picture..

The Commies keep getting dumber.
Ay caramba, brainwashed functional moron- that's why it's so easy to fake- it's an open invitation for illegals to come here and work. Thanks lying cheating GOP and the silly dupes...

How do you know they don't? How does anybody?

In Cali, they have motor voting. That means when you get (or renew) your drivers license, they automatically register you to vote unless you object to it. If they are assuming an American's identify, what's to stop them unless you live in a state with Voter-ID?

You can't just make up a SS number. You have to know who the person is that the number belongs to. Identity theft. Then you can do anything you want in this country unless you somehow get caught.

And remember, illegals are given drivers licenses here in the Peoples Republic. California has institutionalized voted fraud.
Good- then they can get insured. When will the GOP allow an unfakable SS ID card so we can END the illegals problem?

When did the libs ever suggest it?

[
Ay caramba, brainwashed functional moron- that's why it's so easy to fake- it's an open invitation for illegals to come here and work. Thanks lying cheating GOP and the silly dupes...

Again, moron hater dupe bot, an SS card is NOT ID. We need to make ID mandatory to vote, but you putrid pigs of the Soros Army (democrat) will not allow that.

Of course your ability to block common sense measures is falling fast...

In Cali, they have motor voting. That means when you get (or renew) your drivers license, they automatically register you to vote unless you object to it. If they are assuming an American's identify, what's to stop them unless you live in a state with Voter-ID?

You can't just make up a SS number. You have to know who the person is that the number belongs to. Identity theft. Then you can do anything you want in this country unless you somehow get caught.

And remember, illegals are given drivers licenses here in the Peoples Republic. California has institutionalized voted fraud.

2010 comprehensive immigration bill. Sorry you're on another New BS GOP planet, and all cowardly corporate media suqs...

[

Again, moron hater dupe bot, an SS card is NOT ID. We need to make ID mandatory to vote, but you putrid pigs of the Soros Army (democrat) will not allow that.

It's what you need to get a license, ID, everything, and it's a GOP joke, dupe. And of course you know NOTHING about the Dem 2010 Immigration bill that contained a good one and ended the illegal problem FOREVER. It's more important for the New BS GOP to have as a wedge issue for bigots/fools like you. Now a stupid wall that will do little. Great job! lol

[

ID based on a joke SS card? You're an IDIOT. lol. Make the SS card an ID card and we'll be finished with all this GOP bs, dupe.

2010 comprehensive immigration bill. Sorry you're on another New BS GOP planet, and all cowardly corporate media suqs...

Sure it did, along with providing illegals with dozens of benefits and services on the taxpayer dime. It also included that any illegal with children could not be deported, and gave them free medical care which many of our US citizens don't even have.

Last edited:

Your hatred of people that you disagree with is obvious, so much so it is obvious that you want to control those that you disagree with... Every aspect of their lives you want to control

Sure it did, along with providing illegals with dozens of benefits and services on the taxpayer dime. It also included that any illegal with children could not be deported, and gave them free medical care which many of our US citizens don't even have.
Total bs. It was blocked by the GOP duh. Pass the gd law with the card and END IT.

Total bs. It was blocked by the GOP duh. Pass the gd law with the card and END IT.

Yes, it was blocked by the GOP. Good for them.

We could have ended the illegal problem in 2010. Great job! Now it can go on forever, as it does with the GOP....

We could have ended the illegal problem in 2010. Great job! Now it can go on forever, as it does with the GOP....

You wouldn't have ended crap. DumBama set out to make an illegal amnesty move to keep those people here, and more would have been on the way. Remember what party stopped Kate's law that would have imprisoned illegal felons who returned back to this country after being deported. Does that sound like a party wanting to end illegals coming to this country?

Forum List

Back