Factors that have made this country so darn divided

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt. "We all" implies insecurity. It's also agenda driven, and shows how you're not a thinker, you're a follower.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows? This statement, especially along with your thread demonstrates you're a hypocrite.

I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented. Did you know Democrats have entered more wars than Republicans? Other than that, you've proven like many youth you're liberal, but you have never wised up to the error in your ways.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans: I can't wait.

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate. OK

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.). What the Obama admin. has done is FAR worse than any Clinton impeachment process. You ignore the present and refer to something less harmful.

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us. Still hung up on the past huh?

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are. As are the liberals who flag the race card anytime someone disagrees with them. You're a big part of the problem. You people ARE NOT deep thinkers. You operate on emotions. Reference never grew up.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena. Too late for that. It's really an ignorant statement considering the facts in front of us. Sorry.

sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted. That's incorrect, and you contradicted yourself with your statement about the Bush Admin. and about "dodging Trump".

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.
No need for so many words. You want to know how we got here? Look in the damn mirror.

By this time tomorrow, we can all safely state that we have "dodged a bullet" in rejecting the Trumpster...of that many of us have no doubt.

But what has made this country so divided, as many right wingers on this microcosm of a forum clearly shows?
I have lived through the turbulent 1960s, felt heartbroken over the many assassinations of our leaders, and have marched against useless and bloody wars that costs us so many lives and treasure. Yet, the meanness that this forum has often shown is unprecedented.

For myself, I "blame" 3 factors that in my long life seem to have precipitated this huge division among our fellow Americans:

1. The proliferation of social media, coupled with the anonymity that such media allow, has given a "voice" to the most strident fringe of our electorate.

2. The whole impeachment process of Bill Clinton also showed us how vengeful politics have become (and I'm not exempt form this because I would readily admit that I simply hated the GWB administration.)

3. Most of all I blame the factor that a mere 16 years ago, we had to have a supreme court appoint a president for us, where a cabal of just 5 people told us who would lead us .

I'm not even going to bring out that the Obama election also brought out the latent racism that fermented in some people hearts, since I believe that many who resented Obama were not necessarily racists, although many certainly were and are.

I sincerely hope that Wednesday we will witness a peaceful transfer of power; a factor that has made us great as a country and as a paragon of how other countries should behave in the political arena; sure there will be disappointments and bitterness in many minds that wanted a different direction for our country...but, once the electorate has spoken in a majority voice, the results MUST be accepted.

:clap2:

I agree but believe it's mostly the internet and most definitely social media.

In the past, before the internet, most fringe types had no outlet to vent their rage and connect with their like minded brethren. At best, they might create a newsletter and over time, create a group. That ,no doubt, took quite a while and remained relatively small.
Thanks to the internet, they can now accomplish what may have taken months or years with a single post. I'm not entirely sure if it's the anonymous nature of the internet or the community of support that encourages the extremes we see hear around us, or something deeper that is only now allowed to show itself.
I remain optimistic as reason almost always wins the day. I suppose it's just the growing pains that come with such rapid advances in technology. The hope lies in reason and as crazy as this election cycle has been, reason is still winning.
Reason is still winning? We've got an unindicted criminal psychopath running for president with the entire MSM covering up her crimes, the DOJ running defense for her and an FBI agent that just rolled over and dropped an ironclad case against her and you say reason is still winning? What color is your sky?

^Unreasonable.

You articulate my point far better than I ever could. Thank you.

My own view is that the Reagan tax cuts, followed by the "W" further tax cuts, are what have divided the Nation.

Now you have the very rich who pay relatively little tax (like Romney -- 14% on $20 million per year) and everyone else who cannot make ends meet after they have paid their taxes.

Gore throwing the election into chaos was the beginning of the end.

He conceded, then someone called him and ordered him to rescind his concession.

Who called him?

My own view is that the Reagan tax cuts, followed by the "W" further tax cuts, are what have divided the Nation.

Now you have the very rich who pay relatively little tax (like Romney -- 14% on $20 million per year) and everyone else who cannot make ends meet after they have paid their taxes.

You have the Dem base as life long freeloaders, that's the real problem

Left wingers are the reason this country is divided. Pitting one group against another is what they do.
More partisan drivel from the head Douchebag.

I blame the rise of rightwing media and the internet over the last thirty years

It is a media intent on establishing and enforcing an extreme conservative agenda. There is no room for compromise, a win-win agreement means the other guy was allowed to win and can't be allowed

There is no middle ground in politics anymore. Those who are willing to compromise are attacked in the media and driven from the party.

Our Government was built on the idea of compromise and working together

Our government is broken

Wherever Globalists grab the power they have the nation divided.

Same thing has happen in my home country of Ukraine after they pulled out a coup and started breeding Nazis. Same thing has happened in the ME, where they keep breeding, financing and supplying weapons to the terrorists.
Divide and conquer, it seems to have become more acute here in the US. The propaganda campaigns of mis/disinformation has the populace more confused than ever. The confusion is manifest on this board everyday by both the right and left. A confused populace is unable to make moral value judgments. As a result we allow our government to commit horrible acts against different societies for the benefit of those who wish to control resources for personal gain.......at any cost, human or otherwise. All the while Americans just sit back, disconnected from the truth, watch it happen and point fingers at each other.

Great post. It's one in its nature that encourages me to spend time contemplating. I'm sure most of that will be subconscious as thoughts will pop up as I watch the talking heads explain what took place today.

Ironically, you start off a post about division blaming everything on your political opponent. No need to read anything more.

The Left wagging their finger at US about division. Were their no division, the Left would not be as successful as they are. They need division, racial strife, and class envy.....these are like vitamins for their success. Look how they always accentuate racism even when it is not there? Look how they are always pitching the need to stop income inequality.....something that is prevalent everywhere worldwide! Instead, the focus should be on the raising the the tide for all ships instead of focusing on the size of everyone's ships being equal.

Let me offer my perspective.

1. First was the rise of talk radio which started to take off in the very same year that GHWB took office. I started listening to it in 1993 and couldn't believe the sheer nonsense being passed off as erudition. And since controversy gets attention, the hosts of these shows were often not motivated by anything more than high ratings and money. Therefore, it shouldn't have surprised anyone that the truth was sacrificed in the process.

2. The rise of Newt Gingrich and his hyperbolic and destructive statements which lowered the level of discourse while also raising the volume of people speaking past each other instead of to one another in an effort to score political points while winning nothing in the process except increasing division and resentment.

3. The fact that elected representatives stopped living in Washington and interacting with each other. Instead, they left to go back to their districts every weekend and consequently didn't have much in the way of any meaningful personal relationships with members of the opposing political parties.

4. While both parties shifted right over the years, both parties increasingly lost the moderate middle (conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans) who could ultimately be counted on to come together to make deals when the more extreme wings of each party were unable to work together. This ultimately led to the nonsensical notion that compromise was a bad thing. That only led to increasing gridlock which frustrated everyone, none more than the American electorate itself.
(As an aside, I once heard a conservative say that he would not compromise with Democrats. Instead, Democrats would have to compromise with him. That's truly a nonsensical statement if I ever heard one.)

5. The rise of social media which too often pushed paranoid conspiracy theories which some politicians were too often willing to exploit to get the base to the polls in election years.

6. The fact that conservative talk radio hosts eventually turned on the leadership of the Republican Party when they were unable to live up to an absolutist all-or-nothing approach to governance.

Enter Trump...

WELL STATED!!!!

Sure, maybe "building that wall"along the Mason-Dixie line????

My only response for today:

This country has been divided since it founding, and you believe the division is greater today than it was then!?!

No, today divide is focused on more but let be factual this country is far from it second civil war and is not as divided when the First Republican President was elected ( Lincoln )...

Sure some radical will call for all out armed rebellion but will then slink into their dwelling and become keyboard commando's while writing about their wish for a second Civil War...

How did Trump come so far?

Simple, White America is pissed...

They feel their voices are not heard and Donald John Trump the great salesman he is sold them on the idea that he alone can make America great again and they believe it...

Are they foolish to buy his sales pitch?

Yes, but the alternative to most of them is having Hillary Clinton for the next four years which is not acceptable to them...,

Now what has Hillary Clinton done to bridge the divide and attempt to unite the American people?

You will try to rattle off your opinion of how she has extended her hand to the right but her words have shown she views those against her as deplorable and not worthy extending her hand to!

Is this nation more divided since the Civil War, or the days of Jefferson and the founding fathers?

In my personal opinion NO!

Has the Liberal and Conservative parts of our media hyped up the Division to the point to make you believe that it is at an all time high?

Yes!

You will know when this country is truly divided when armed rebellion bring on the next Civil War, but what is going on now is nothing but a bunch of childish brats bellyaching about how they want their way and when they can not get it they throw a temper tantrum thinking the nation is divided when it is the media blowing this divide out of proportion as usual!

Thank you for reading and will respond in the morning...

P.S.

Hillary Clinton will win and the Senate will stay red and many will be pissed because they did not get everything they wanted while not understanding that this nation was built on compromise and not dictatorship!

Let me offer my perspective.

1. First was the rise of talk radio which started to take off in the very same year that GHWB took office. I started listening to it in 1993 and couldn't believe the sheer nonsense being passed off as erudition. And since controversy gets attention, the hosts of these shows were often not motivated by anything more than high ratings and money. Therefore, it shouldn't have surprised anyone that the truth was sacrificed in the process.

2. The rise of Newt Gingrich and his hyperbolic and destructive statements which lowered the level of discourse while also raising the volume of people speaking past each other instead of to one another in an effort to score political points while winning nothing in the process except increasing division and resentment.

3. The fact that elected representatives stopped living in Washington and interacting with each other. Instead, they left to go back to their districts every weekend and consequently didn't have much in the way of any meaningful personal relationships with members of the opposing political parties.

4. While both parties shifted right over the years, both parties increasingly lost the moderate middle (conservative Democrats and moderate Republicans) who could ultimately be counted on to come together to make deals when the more extreme wings of each party were unable to work together. This ultimately led to the nonsensical notion that compromise was a bad thing. That only led to increasing gridlock which frustrated everyone, none more than the American electorate itself.
(As an aside, I once heard a conservative say that he would not compromise with Democrats. Instead, Democrats would have to compromise with him. That's truly a nonsensical statement if I ever heard one.)

5. The rise of social media which too often pushed paranoid conspiracy theories which some politicians were too often willing to exploit to get the base to the polls in election years.

6. The fact that conservative talk radio hosts eventually turned on the leadership of the Republican Party when they were unable to live up to an absolutist all-or-nothing approach to governance.

Enter Trump...

The timeline is absolutely correct and leads us to where we are today

There is no compromise anymore. Compromise is treated the same as defeat. In fact, Republicans would rather lose entirely than have to compromise with Democrats

Good post. If you would, permit me to bring out Obama's two elections. They both predicated the end of the United States of America. Hillary will finish what Obama started.
I can only hope. I've always been fond of success.
And after the destruction under Bush and the GOP? At least that's something Republicans can't deny. Not when they won't let him anywhere near any of their conventions.

Republicans wish Bush was deader than they want gays dead. And that's saying a lot.

I blame the rise of rightwing media and the internet over the last thirty years

It is a media intent on establishing and enforcing an extreme conservative agenda. There is no room for compromise, a win-win agreement means the other guy was allowed to win and can't be allowed

There is no middle ground in politics anymore. Those who are willing to compromise are attacked in the media and driven from the party.

Our Government was built on the idea of compromise and working together

Our government is broken

A factor to substantiate the lack of "middle ground" is that for us on the left, we don't seem to really have that term used by the right......and that is, RINOs.

Still harping on Bush winning. derpity, derpity, derp.....

There are many reasons but that's absurd.

the primary one is loss of ethics from Joe average all the way on up to the white house.

Right or wrong no longer matters as we scramble over one another for the power, glory and material gain of ME! ME! ME!

1. Sol stop being so "strident" .

2. We republicans had been told that even the appearance of sexual harassment was a serious matter. We did not know at that time that that was a lie, and that such outrage was merely a tool by the dishonest left to smear us.

3. When Al Gore demanded a SELECTIVE RECOUNT of just a few heavily democratic counties, he was trying to steal the election. He and his were the bad guys.

4. YOu constant insistence on demonizing your enemies is what is tearing this nation apart.

Forum List

Back