Explain This...and you Win...umm...Something..

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
Think of a number 1 to 10. Now double it. Add 8 to it. Divide by 2. Subtract 1st number you thought of. The answer will be 4.

But did it work? How?

Think of a number 1 to 10. Now double it. Add 8 to it. Divide by 2. Subtract 1st number you thought of. The answer will be 4.
All smoke and mirrors. A trick.It works for all 10 numbers. I win a seegar.

W hy would you do that??? :crybaby:

It's a simple algebra equation. Let n be the number your thinking and y be the answer. So you take n times 2 that's 2n. Add 8 so that's 2n +8. Divide that by 2 that becomes (2n+8)/2. Subtract n so your equation is y = (2n +8)/2 - n. Now factor out the 2 so it looks like y = (n+4) -n. So n-n is zero and voila y = 4.

I used 4 and it worked out but now my brain is tired... I need a hug...:eusa_angel:

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
It's a simple algebra equation. Let n be the number your thinking and y be the answer. So you take n times 2 that's 2n. Add 8 so that's 2n +8. Divide that by 2 that becomes (2n+8)/2. Subtract n so your equation is y = (2n +8)/2 - n. Now factor out the 2 so it looks like y = (n+4) -n. So n-n is zero and voila y = 4.

Well, that made it all clear to me..... :lol: :eusa_liar:

let a = any number in the universe.
a x 2 = 2a, add 8 = 2a+8, divide by 2 = a+4, subtract your original amount (-a) and you are left with 4.

Your original amount (a) cancels itself out when it is subtracted (-a) so no matter what number you start with as (a), the equation always reduces to 8 divided by 2 = 4.

• Thanks
  1. (2x+8)/2 - 4 = x
  2. (2x+8)/2 = x + 4
  3. (2x+8) = 2(x+4)
  4. 2x+8=2x+8
  5. x can be any number
Like edthecynic said, but my algebra teacher back in '69 slap me across the head for skipping steps and not showing my work. So this is how we were forced to show it.

Last edited:
  • Thanks

Forum List

Back