Expanded playoffs proposed as a "cure" for low ratings for the College Football Championship.

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
The ratings were certainly down, due to the fact that it was 2 SEC teams. It becomes a de facto regional game.

And I am all for an expanded playoff. Mainly because it means more college football. But will it help ratings for the final game? Playing it on a Monday night didn't help the ratings. And if there had been 8 teams in the playoff, I seriously doubt anyone else would have won and made the final game. Low ratings or not, it was the two best teams playing for the championship.

One thing that stands out in the article is:
"The game averaged 22.6 million viewers and was ahead of only last year’s championship game between Alabama and Ohio State – which drew 18.7 million at the end of a taxing pandemic season."

If the problem is that it was two SEC teams, why were the ratings lower for the Championship game between Alabama and Ohio State?

And yes, the season was taxing because of covid. But also, the viewers were far more likely to be home than they would have in previous years.

The ratings were certainly down, due to the fact that it was 2 SEC teams. It becomes a de facto regional game.

And I am all for an expanded playoff. Mainly because it means more college football. But will it help ratings for the final game? Playing it on a Monday night didn't help the ratings. And if there had been 8 teams in the playoff, I seriously doubt anyone else would have won and made the final game. Low ratings or not, it was the two best teams playing for the championship.

"The game averaged 22.6 million viewers and was ahead of only last year’s championship game between Alabama and Ohio State – which drew 18.7 million at the end of a taxing pandemic season."

If the problem is that it was two SEC teams, why were the ratings lower for the Championship game between Alabama and Ohio State?

And yes, the season was taxing because of covid. But also, the viewers were far more likely to be home than they would have in previous years.
How would expanding the playoffs prevented the two teams from playing that brought such horrible ratings?

It seems to me that the issue is a lacking parity between college football and the two generic best teams in the SEC.

College football is a huge, un-funny joke, that should be summarily abolished.

The good thing is, the fiction that "college" football has anything to do with "higher education" is rapidly fading from view. First, "they" should pay the players - all of them, not just the stars. Then they should eliminate the silly requirement that the players enroll in the schools, let alone attend a few classes. Seriously, what is the point?

Next, sever the financial ties between the college football, basketball, and baseball teams and the institutions that appear on their uniforms. Make them operate completely independent of the colleges, sending back some small percentage of their profits. If they don't make a profit then they should just fold, as any other business would.

The other preposterous sports that were created under Title IX (e.g., Field Hockey) should revert to "club" status, with the players themselves and boosters (if any) funding their teams, travel, etc. Bye bye scholarships.

There could still be teams called, "Texas A&M" but they would have nothing to do with that fine educational institution. Just like the Dallas Cowboys have nothing to do with the municipality by that name.

With the complete elimination of college sports, our colleges and universities could operate the same way as they do in every other country in the world. Maybe focus on EDUCATION, perhaps?

Then, have an 18 game schedule, tons of sections, conferences, and whatnot, and eight rounds of playoffs, just like our other professional sports.

Cool, right?

I don’t think 4 or 8 will make much of a difference
There is not that much parity

But a championship that does not get over until midnight when people have to work makes no sense

But a championship that does not get over until midnight when people have to work makes no sense
No question. I went to bed at halftime, maybe early into 3rd quarter, and it was a FG fest up until bedtime. Everything happened when I was asleep.

Yeah, the late hour does mess with the fans. Especially on a week night.

How would expanding the playoffs prevented the two teams from playing that brought such horrible ratings?

It seems to me that the issue is a lacking parity between college football and the two generic best teams in the SEC.

Not sure how Bama and Georgia are generic, but ok.

The lack of parity is an issue. The other top teams need to step up.

If you want ratings, play it on Saturday and have it on Free TV over the air, not just ESPN.

I can’t believe the College Championship is not covered on network TV

NCAA Basketball is

Nowadays there are too many pointless bowl games in college football, and college football was a lot more popular before they had a national championship.

A number of teams could end the season on a high note and that would be that.

Going back to a 10 game season with 8 or 10 bowl games that end of 1 January would be fine in my view.

It could be no one wants to see bama win again.

They should have had Michigan and Cincinnati play for bronze.

otherwise college football is perfect. At least it worked out perfectly this year. I could see a scenario where a couple teams get screwed.

Actually, no, they don't

This could continue for a few more decades

Ohio State did it in the first round of the playoffs in 2014/2015.

Clemson has beaten Alabama twice to win the national championship.

Ole Miss, LSU, Texas A&M and Utah have all beaten Alabama.

Nowadays there are too many pointless bowl games in college football, and college football was a lot more popular before they had a national championship.

A number of teams could end the season on a high note and that would be that.

Going back to a 10 game season with 8 or 10 bowl games that end of 1 January would be fine in my view.
Bowls used to mean something
Rose Bowl, Cotton Bowl, Orange Bowl

Now, any 6-6 team in a no-name conference can qualify for the Buttfuk.com Bowl

There are far too many teams in the Div 1 FBS. 130 if Im not mistaken. Only about 20 have any real chance of winning the championship and that's being generous. They should divide the FBS up into 4-5 divisions with 25-30 teams in each. Tiers 1-5. Have them play each other within the division and run a playoff similar to the FCS or the NFL. The top X number of teams in each tier below 1 will move into the higher tier the following year and a corresponding number of teams at the bottom will be regulated to the next lower tier. It would increase the number of "bowl games" and make them mean something. With the added bonus that the regular season would be much more interesting as we wouldn't have to wait until December to see marquee match ups. We also wouldn't have to suffer through Alabama or OSU playing East Tennessee State.

Well, here is my version again... Using the 2021 calendar.

12 Games with a bye week.
  1. September 4
  2. September 11
  3. September 18
  4. September 25
  5. October 2
  6. October 9
  7. October 16
  8. October 23
  9. October 30
  10. November 6
  11. November 13
  12. November 20
  13. November 27
December 4. Championship Week/Weekend

Pick 6 heritage bowl games (Cotton, Orange, Sugar, Rose, Peach, Fiesta or any ones you want). Rotate them each year but for 2021...

December 10. The 3 seed and the 6 seed play in the Peach Bowl. The 4 seed and the 5 seed play in the Cotton Bowl.
December 11. The 1 seed and the 8 seed play in the Rose Bowl. The 2 seed and the 7 seed play in the Orange Bowl.

December 18. Re-seeding takes place determined by same system that gives us the previous seeding... The 1 seed and the 4 seed play in the Fiesta Bowl. The 2 and 3 seeds play in the Sugar Bowl.

New Year's Day, you play the championship game at a rotating site--Lucas Oil Field, AT&T Stadium, Old Trattford (jk).

When I was growing up the great thing was that it was all over on New Years day...it was a special day, dependable...you knew it was on that day.... They should return to that.

My plan is you have a 16 team bracket play off with the winner playing Alabama for the championship

It is going to end up that way anyway

Well, here is my version again... Using the 2021 calendar.

12 Games with a bye week.
  1. September 4
  2. September 11
  3. September 18
  4. September 25
  5. October 2
  6. October 9
  7. October 16
  8. October 23
  9. October 30
  10. November 6
  11. November 13
  12. November 20
  13. November 27
December 4. Championship Week/Weekend

Pick 6 heritage bowl games (Cotton, Orange, Sugar, Rose, Peach, Fiesta or any ones you want). Rotate them each year but for 2021...

December 10. The 3 seed and the 6 seed play in the Peach Bowl. The 4 seed and the 5 seed play in the Cotton Bowl.
December 11. The 1 seed and the 8 seed play in the Rose Bowl. The 2 seed and the 7 seed play in the Orange Bowl.

December 18. Re-seeding takes place determined by same system that gives us the previous seeding... The 1 seed and the 4 seed play in the Fiesta Bowl. The 2 and 3 seeds play in the Sugar Bowl.

New Year's Day, you play the championship game at a rotating site--Lucas Oil Field, AT&T Stadium, Old Trattford (jk).

When I was growing up the great thing was that it was all over on New Years day...it was a special day, dependable...you knew it was on that day.... They should return to that.
Better than what we currently have. It still doesn't solve the one of (IMO) biggest problems. 130 teams in Div 1 FBS. Maybe 20 have any chance of competing for let alone winning a championship. And that's not in any individual year that's ever. So 85% of the teams in the "league" will never even sniff a chance at even making the playoffs even if you expanded it to 16.

Forum List

Back