Ex-"Marlboro Man" dies of CPD at age of 72

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
marlboro-man-638x359.jpg

Ex-Marlboro man dies from smoking-related disease

Eric Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72.

Lawson died Jan. 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said Sunday.

Lawson was an actor with bit parts on such TV shows as "Baretta" and "The Streets of San Francisco" when he was hired to appear in print Marlboro ads from 1978 to 1981. His other credits include "Charlie's Angels," ''Dynasty" and "Baywatch." His wife said injuries sustained on the set of a Western film ended his career in 1997.

A smoker since age 14, Lawson later appeared in an anti-smoking commercial that parodied the Marlboro man and an "Entertainment Tonight" segment to discuss the negative effects of smoking. Susan said her husband was proud of the interview, even though he was smoking at the time and continued the habit until he was diagnosed with COPD.

"He knew the cigarettes had a hold on him," she said. "He knew, yet he still couldn't stop."

Kismet. Simply Kismet.

marlboro-man-638x359.jpg

Eric Lawson, who portrayed the rugged Marlboro man in cigarette ads during the late 1970s, has died. He was 72.

Lawson died Jan. 10 at his home in San Luis Obispo of respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, his wife, Susan Lawson said Sunday.

Lawson was an actor with bit parts on such TV shows as "Baretta" and "The Streets of San Francisco" when he was hired to appear in print Marlboro ads from 1978 to 1981. His other credits include "Charlie's Angels," ''Dynasty" and "Baywatch." His wife said injuries sustained on the set of a Western film ended his career in 1997.

A smoker since age 14, Lawson later appeared in an anti-smoking commercial that parodied the Marlboro man and an "Entertainment Tonight" segment to discuss the negative effects of smoking. Susan said her husband was proud of the interview, even though he was smoking at the time and continued the habit until he was diagnosed with COPD.

"He knew the cigarettes had a hold on him," she said. "He knew, yet he still couldn't stop."

Kismet. Simply Kismet.

Given the avg life expectency in the US for men is now 69 (yes that's down a lot from previous decades) 72 is better than the average. If he died from being hit by a bus would we link it to cigs? :)

Everyone dies eventually from soemthing. But post hoc ergo propter hoc arguements are bad science. Just because you die of some condition and smoked, doesn't mean you developed the condition BECAUSE you smoked. Pleanty of smokers greatly outlive their non-smoking brethren. But it's equally bad to say they lived longer because of smoking. It's a matter of genes, if you hva ethe 3 or more genes linked to longevity you'll probably live to a very old age. Whereas if you don't you'll die "young."

There are still idiots out there who will insist that smoking doesn't cause cancer.

It doesn't. If it did then everyone who smoked would develop cancer. Not every smoker does. Instead it's merely one of hundreds of contributing factors to cancers.

72 isn't such a bad age to die. That's how old my wife's father was when he died and he never smoked a day in his life.

72 isn't such a bad age to die. That's how old my wife's father was when he died and he never smoked a day in his life.

Is if you're 71. :) When your life expectency is still along ways off it's easy to say that kind of thing. But the closer it gets the harder it becomes to say. My aim is to live long enough my brain gets soft and I don't fear dying any more. As it stands right now, I'm totally against the idea. :) Maybe in 60 or so years I wont care as much or even look fowards to it.

marlboro-man-638x359.jpg

Kismet. Simply Kismet.

^^^that^^^

It's very difficult to stop. I've known people who laid a pack of cigarettes down and never smoked again, and said they didn't miss it or have any desire to light up. I've known far more people who said they'd give their left nut to be able to stop.

My heart goes out to his family. That's far too young, IMO.

It is quite young, but it's not so much about how long we live as it is about how well we live, especially in our later years. I imagine his later years were not so enjoyable. That is the biggest reason I chose to quit.

73 is old. An old man died.

It's old in what way? 93 is old. My father is 76 and still works close to full-time. My mother is 82. She's had some battles but she's still hanging in there. My father is still on top of his game mentally and he is doing okay physically. I know quite a few in their 70's who are in fantastic shape and look like they are in their 50's. 70's is old for lifelong smokers but not so old for non-smokers.

Forum List

Back