Evolution of the Saxophone

In the eight sentence examples Bernstein gives, note the (prosody [italics]) involved (syllable accent) which makes clear the variety of forms that can be produced from the same sentence (@ 30:28).

In post #117 Concert Pitch on My Tenor Sax, Stevoreeno (8 years ago) says: "Honestly, I do not think you will find a fingering chart for tenor sax that will show (for example) first finger of your left hand as a "A". I'd be very surprised to see a "non-transposing" fingering chart anywhere."

But that first finger of the left hand is precisely thought of as "concert A" to the tenor player who has learned to think in concert pitch. Is the frequency of that "A" 440 Hz in the lower register? The answer to that question will be important when we begin to transcribe Coltrane's Resolution into amino acid sheet music. According to the sheet music, what is the name of and frequency of the highest note Coltrane plays at the Fm6/9 chord? What note did Coltrane think he was playing at that point?

Coltrane, Resolution

According to the sheet music, Coltrane was playing a concert F (octave 6), frequency 1396.91 Hz, except that the sheet music says 'tenor sax.'

Music Note Names
www.piano-keyboard-guide.com/music-note-names.html
(site not secure)
(scroll to "Ledger Lines" to see Coltrane's note depicted as concert F)

C Major Tenor Saxophone

@ timepoint :24, first finger of left hand is concert A (octave 4, 440Hz) for tenor sax, though two fingers are down in the chart and is being called an "A," which actually plays a concert pitch "G" (392 Hz) which has been written in the "A" space. Amino acid music eliminates most of these lines and spaces and thinks in concert pitch.

Next problematics are Coltrane's employment of fake notes, as we see him strive to attain in the other live video of this song, Resolution. In fact, the player will seldom use the "front F" key or alternate F# fingerings to achieve higher notes. Both the added "front F" and the newer F# are not original sax keys. That it is cumbersome to use the "front F" is unquestionable in real-world playing, because the finger must bounce awkwardly to and fro from the concert A key. Concert F# was traditionally a "fake note" achieved by alternate fingerings. The newly added F# key simplified this alternate fingering. Thus, we began amino acid assignments with the highest "legitimate" note, concert E flat (octave 6), frequency 1244.51 Hz.

'An hour later, it has happened! I am jubilant; Bart looks stunned. He knows he is beginning to read. All the wonderful world of books is within his grasp. He looks at me with a level gaze and asks, "How did I do that? What did I do?" He is, of course, quite right in saying that he did something, not that I did it. My answer is inadequate: "I don't know. I wish I did. I think I can help you do some more of whatever that was that you did." At that, Bart gives me a look of pure delight and trust, and the hairs on my arm stand up.

I really don't know what happened. But I was there when the glory happened, and I shall never be quite the same. I shall remain in debt to Bart, and I shall continue to search. That is it; I am still searching. That is what this book is all about.'
(Anita Griffiths, Teaching the Dyslexic Child)

To render the saxophone a complete alphabet typewriter, problematic letters are:

U (selenocysteine, 21st amino acid as a vowel)

O (pyrrolysine, 22nd amino acid as a vowel)

B

J

X

Z

There are seemingly no efficient parameters by which to assign isoelectric points to selenocysteine and pyrrolysine, thus placing them in sequence to the others (post #2). Nonetheless, two trajectories are,

2018 Isoelectric Focusing of Selenocysteine
Detection of Selenoproteins by Laser Ablation Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (LA-ICP MS) in Immobilized pH Gradient (IPG) Strips. - PubMed - NCBI

Jul 2019 Pyrrolysine
Anticipating alien cells with alternative genetic codes: away from the alanine world! - PubMed - NCBI

From the video, it's difficult to see if there are palm keys. Apparently, the Travel Sax does not have chord-making capability.

1 Mar 2019 Travel Sax

If the Travel Sax were only hollow, a didge could slip inside. That is why a didge switching harness either mounted on the didge or on a (hollow) skeleton frame is much less expensive as as a DIY project. It could be made just as small and still connect to the synthesizer. Currently an experiment with square brass tubing on which to mount the switches and serve as a conduit for wires is underway, the brass blends with the finish on the horn and will render a live sax sound on top of a live synth sound.

To help further answer the dyslexia question concerning amino acid music, studies of Hulme and Duinmeijer link to nonword repetition tasks, of which amino acid music would be included. The idea of manually tracing (in the air or on paper) amino acid nonwords is this trajectory:

'The most important finding of this experiment was that tracing facilitated the learning of arbitrary names which were paired with a series of abstract patterns. This finding could not have been confidently predicted on the basis of any previous experiments, and provides further evidence to suggest that remedial teaching procedures which incorporate tracing are soundly based.'
(Hulme C, Reading Retardation and Multi-Sensory Teaching 1981, p. 154)

Hulme's current study links nonwords:
Verbal task demands are key in explaining the relationship between paired-associate learning and reading ability. - PubMed - NCBI

Duinmeijer's PhD thesis gives a Dutch language list of some nonwords, which are customized to the language as either being phonotactic or non-phonotactic (amino acid music could be both in any language):

' Low Phonotactic Probability Nonwords

weugof
veujoetup
fuiseuwoesut
fuugiwuinofep

High Phonotactic Probability Nonwords

raanom
loowaamas
saaviebeemer
baamerienooves '
(Duinmeijer I, Feb 2017 Persistent Grammatical Difficulties in Specific Language Impairment: Defects in Knowledge or in Knowledge Implementation?)

24 Jul 2019 Stafford's Acoustic Neuroma
Matthew Stafford’s challenging offseason went far beyond Lions’ struggles

A concert B (fifth octave) @ 987.77 Hz comes closest to this diagnostic resonance:

Acoustic Neuroma / 1000 Hz Tone Burst Evoked Response
Usefulness of 1000 Hz tone-burst-evoked responses in the diagnosis of acoustic neuroma. - PubMed - NCBI

Donald Fagen's Nightfly Chords
Songster

The first chord, Am9 is concert A C E G and B; amino translation is E F S I N. The second chord is Bm7, concert B D F sharp and A; amino N Q W E. For both of these chords, the problematic concert B, which is an open note on the tenor sax, must be actuated by an auxiliary key or switch. Low-note priority and combinations of keys must be remembered for decoding as the woodwind player enters the world of chord production. In this Fagen example, the melody can be sung (by using all of the keys in "chord mode") or played due to split-hand chord technique applied to the fingering of the sax (left hand melody, right hand chords). Crossing the octave-key boundary (which is precisely at the concert B note) using various chord voicings will dictate that extra keys or switches will be necessary for split-hand playing (melody and chords). One can think of this system as akin to the toggle system of the one-handed saxophone and its playing technique (youtube).

Aja sheet music is a confusing, eye-straining mess at the beginning of the song:

Aja
Steely Dan "Aja" Sheet Music in B Major (transposable) - Download & Print

Best Steely Dan Saxophone Solos
(site not secure)
somethingelsereviews.com/2014/11/23/five-best-steely-dan-saxophone-solos-steely-dan-sunday/

Zalem Delarbre, Prashumna

Beetles and Sound Story

One mating chirp of a bark beetle is at 237 Hz. In these reports, sounds of different species were mixed to disrupt infestations in trees. A 237 Hz sound compares to a concert B flat (octave 3) at 233.08 Hz (148.02 cm wavelength), a concert B (octave 3) is 246.94 Hz (139.71 cm wavelength).

Some sounds turned the beetles against each other.

1 May 2017 Pest Control
(site not secure)
www.fox10phoenix.com/news/arizona-news/pest-control-nau-scientists-find-way-to-deal-with-bark-beetle-infestation

The predator fungus Beauveria itself may have been stimulated by sound.

Would Be Bark Beetle Slayer Uses Fungus
Would-be bark beetle slayer uses fungus as his weapon
'....The beetles stopped mating, stopped eating. Some fled. And some not only stopped mating, they tore the female apart.'

Mikuskovics proves that the mind can be split as he performs three different rhythms at timepoint 4:21:

Forum List

Back