English Premier League and La Liga Football

la liga is back in business.

but serie a is on strike.

ha!

bundesliga is on schedule.

I enjoy the bundesliga.

Good to see la liga will be playing again.

Serie A can stay on strike indefinitely...

i agree. a lot.

Me too.

I like the Bundesliga a lot. The quality of football is more consistent than in many other leagues, while rarely hitting the highs of El Clásico or some of the Premiership duels, but I'm always happy to watch a game or two on satellite TV. My adopted German club is Hertha Berlin. I have friends who are season ticket holders and have been with them a couple of times. The Olympic Stadion generates a great atmosphere, even if the football I've seen there hasn't been from the top drawer.

[Both ManU and Liverpool don't have big debts because of losses incurred at the clubs. They have - or had in Liverpool's case since the club absolved it's debts through the courts - large debts because their owners foisted a huge amount of debt on the clubs to buy them. It wasn't because they were taking on big debts to fund losses to buy players with reckless abandon like ManCity and Chelsea. At the operating level, both Liverpool and ManU generated profits - £30 million and £50 million respectively. Chelsea have yet to make a profit since Roman bought the club, incurring losses of about £300 million in total. ManCity lost something like £100 million last year. ManCity has no debt because the sugar daddy owner eats the losses. The debts at Chelsea are to Roman himself, who will just write them off.

It is what it is, but the FFP rules came into being precisely because of firms like Chelsea and ManCity.

Do you know the legend of King Knut the Great? He tried to command the waves to stop breaking on the shore. I think the FFP rules will prove just as effective.

[Both ManU and Liverpool don't have big debts because of losses incurred at the clubs. They have - or had in Liverpool's case since the club absolved it's debts through the courts - large debts because their owners foisted a huge amount of debt on the clubs to buy them. It wasn't because they were taking on big debts to fund losses to buy players with reckless abandon like ManCity and Chelsea. At the operating level, both Liverpool and ManU generated profits - £30 million and £50 million respectively. Chelsea have yet to make a profit since Roman bought the club, incurring losses of about £300 million in total. ManCity lost something like £100 million last year. ManCity has no debt because the sugar daddy owner eats the losses. The debts at Chelsea are to Roman himself, who will just write them off.

It is what it is, but the FFP rules came into being precisely because of firms like Chelsea and ManCity.

Do you know the legend of King Knut the Great? He tried to command the waves to stop breaking on the shore. I think the FFP rules will prove just as effective.

Could be. We'll see. Money talks.

But with a Frenchman in charge and Ligue 1 second-rate, it could have staying power.

But with a Frenchman in charge and Ligue 1 second-rate, it could have staying power.
Personally, while I think the new rules have merit, I would like to see UEFA and FIFA addressing two more pressing issues: corruption within their own ranks and cheating on the field, especially by the Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and South American players. THOSE TWO topics are bringing the game into greater disrepute than wealthy owners throwing their cash around. Which is the greater disgrace, Manchester City spending a ton of money, legally btw, or the decisions of the awarding of the World Cup being bought using a corrupted voting system? WC in Qatar in mid-summer ffs, now that it has been proved that their main man was buying up votes with cash.

What is boring though are all these now rich premier league clubs,who pay far too much for players and often have totally corrupt owners.

Me I'm a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter through thick and thin.........I have met a lot of Man City,Chelsea and Liverpool supporters lately who have never been to an actual game.......what I call synthetic supporters of synthetic teams,you know the ones who have to buy any trophies that they might win.

Apart from Man U,who have the Greatest Manager in the World and have done for 30 years.I am not a Man U supporter but I do appreciate Brilliance and Sir Alex is that.!!!!!

thetor:razz:
We didn't. This is a thread about football. If you want to talk 'soccer', start your own.

It's 'soccer' here, and it's boring as hell. All this "beautiful game" nonsense is pure bullshit. Nothing 'beautiful' about some people jogging for two hours, pretending to get knocked down now and then, and maybe - MAYBE - scoring once during the whole time. No wonder the Europeans are always rioting at these 'games,' they've got nothing else to occupy their attention.

Nobody cares if you think soccer is boring.

!!!!!!!!Toro hate to tell you but Man U are $800 mill in debt..thetor:razz:

Could be. We'll see. Money talks.

Yeah its bad the FIFA corruption,but so was the underhand bribery the US used to secure the Olympics in Utah and others...........you must have forgotten Andaluz that you live in a glass house...just saying..thetor:razz:
Personally, while I think the new rules have merit, I would like to see UEFA and FIFA addressing two more pressing issues: corruption within their own ranks and cheating on the field, especially by the Spanish, Portuguese, Italian and South American players. THOSE TWO topics are bringing the game into greater disrepute than wealthy owners throwing their cash around. Which is the greater disgrace, Manchester City spending a ton of money, legally btw, or the decisions of the awarding of the World Cup being bought using a corrupted voting system? WC in Qatar in mid-summer ffs, now that it has been proved that their main man was buying up votes with cash.

I think you all mean Football,Association Football...........you know the original Football,not that pussy padded game played in the US...thetor:razz:

Since I'm a Liverpool fan, that makes me smile!

But they took on the debt so the Glazers could buy the club. It was debt free when they bought it. And, at least until this year, ManU had made money in the transfer market over the past three years. ManU hadn't invested the proceeds from the sale of Ronaldo until this year. Same with Liverpool. Until John Henry took over the club last year, Liverpool had made a net profit in the transfer market over the past three years. And the operating side of both clubs - net of transfers and interest payments - are very profitable.

Since I'm a Liverpool fan, that makes me smile!

But they took on the debt so the Glazers could buy the club. It was debt free when they bought it. And, at least until this year, ManU had made money in the transfer market over the past three years. ManU hadn't invested the proceeds from the sale of Ronaldo until this year. Same with Liverpool. Until John Henry took over the club last year, Liverpool had made a net profit in the transfer market over the past three years. And the operating side of both clubs - net of transfers and interest payments - are very profitable.

Man U is nothing but a credit card for the Glazer family. It is the only profitable bit of their "empire" and has been for years. If it was not for Man U, the Glazers would have been one of the first to go bankrupt in the credit crisis. The Glazer's should never have been allowed to buy the club since their intentions were clear from the start as well as the way they do business... highly dishonest and have ruined a great club. And now they are yet again trying to cash in by floating Man U on the stock exchange.. not in London, but in freaking Singapore.

As for Liverpool, we shall see. It is too early to see if the new owners are good or bad... it took over a year for the previous owners to show their true colours.

I have never trusted American owners of European football clubs as they have all pretty much been a disaster so far for the club they own. Their only motive is profit and football comes in last. At least with the Arab owners of Man City, profit comes last and trophies and personal prestige/fun comes first.

Thus far, John Henry has been a fabulous owner of Liverpool. He's been a good owner of the Boston Red Sox. At the very least, he has restored class and dignity to the club after the embarrassing circus of Hicks and Gillette. Henry is a different kind of owner than Hicks.

What is boring though are all these now rich premier league clubs,who pay far too much for players and often have totally corrupt owners.

Me I'm a Brighton and Hove Albion supporter through thick and thin.........I have met a lot of Man City,Chelsea and Liverpool supporters lately who have never been to an actual game.......what I call synthetic supporters of synthetic teams,you know the ones who have to buy any trophies that they might win.

Apart from Man U,who have the Greatest Manager in the World and have done for 30 years.I am not a Man U supporter but I do appreciate Brilliance and Sir Alex is that.!!!!!

thetor:razz:

You'll meet far more United fans who've never been to OT. Yes, Bacon Face is the second or third best manager in English football history, I'd still place Clough and Paisley above him.

City fans, while there might be a few band-wagon jumpers leaping aboard at the moment, have stuck with City through thin and thinner. Thirty thousand attendances for a team in the third division, don't forget. I think that's why the fans of other teams I meet, while hating all this big spending, don't begrudge the City fans their current salad days.

God forbid City supporters ever start to take success for granted or behave in the graceless and arrogant way United 'fans' have always behaved. If you dropped into a few of the City fan forums after the Community Shield match you would have read many, many Citizens praising the commitment and concentration of the United players; playing to the very end, never sitting back, never admitting defeat. I think our players learned a lot from that narrow defeat.

Yeah its bad the FIFA corruption,but so was the underhand bribery the US used to secure the Olympics in Utah and others...........you must have forgotten Andaluz that you live in a glass house...just saying..thetor:razz:
What glasshouse is that to which you refer? I'm not aware of Britain or Spain having won a major sporting event through corrupt voting. I could be wrong, of course.

Damn! I was answering you and just missed City's fourth against Spurs. Boy, are our lads looking good?!

What glasshouse is that to which you refer? I'm not aware of Britain or Spain having won a major sporting event through corrupt voting. I could be wrong, of course.

Damn! I was answering you and just missed City's fourth against Spurs. Boy, are our lads looking good?!

not as good as Man U :lol:

Bye bye Arsenal ....

not as good as Man U :lol:

Bye bye Arsenal ....

How very you, Pete. I think if you watched both games you'd admit that City winning away 5-1 against Spurs was every bit as good as ManUre's big home win. Edin Dzeko was certainly the best player between the two games. Spurs were bad, but Arsenal were absolutely appalling. Don't forget, United beat Spurs at home last week by only 3-0.

I'm as happy as happy can be. It looks like the Premiership might be decided by the Manchester derbies. Bring it on!

Last edited:
Arsenal are just dreadful.

I have always admired Arsenal, but they are getting ripped to shreds.

In the last 15 EPL matches, they have won 2 and drawn 7.

They will be mid-table unless they dramatically improve.

And Wenger should pay up and get Cahill FFS.

Arsenal are just dreadful.

I have always admired Arsenal, but they are getting ripped to shreds.

In the last 15 EPL matches, they have won 2 and drawn 7.

They will be mid-table unless they dramatically improve.

And Wenger should pay up and get Cahill FFS.

I used to admire Arsenal; I haven't for some time now. They have had a terrible defence for some time and have off-loaded their best players in favour of untried 'prospects'. When those prospects work, Wenger is hailed as a genius, but for every Fabregas there are two or three Chamakhs or Bendtners who are just not good enough for a team aspiring to the title.

Currently they are not even going to manage mid-table. Let's see how they get on against Swansea, Blackburn and Bolton. Anything other than 3 straight wins will confirm my suspicions that they are a busted flush. October 2nd will also be a key date, away at Spurs. A relegation battle so early in the season!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back