'Empty shelves with absolutely no books': Students, parents question school board's library weeding process: Books published in 2008 or earlier remove

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
In Mississauga, Ontario, a public high school library removed every book that had been published in 2008 or earlier, under the justification of “inclusivity,” “anti-racism,” “equity” and “diversity.”

Gee, I always thought that the word “inclusivity” was about including things, not excluding things.

And I always thought the word “diversity” meant there should be more choices, not fewer.

And I’m not sure how getting rid of The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank contributes to the fight against racism.

book-burning.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/peel-school-board-library-book-weeding-1.6964332

‘Empty shelves with absolutely no books’: Students, parents question school board’s library weeding process

Books published in 2008 or earlier removed from school library amid confusion around new equity-based process

September 13, 2023

Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

Those are all examples of books Reina Takata says she can no longer find in her public high school library in Mississauga, Ont., which she visits on her lunch hour most days.

In May, Takata says the shelves at Erindale Secondary School were full of books, but she noticed that they had gradually started to disappear. When she returned to school this fall, things were more stark.

“This year, I came into my school library and there are rows and rows of empty shelves with absolutely no books,” said Takata, who started Grade 10 last week.

She estimates more than 50 per cent of her school’s library books are gone.

In Mississauga, Ontario, a public high school library removed every book that had been published in 2008 or earlier, under the justification of “inclusivity,” “anti-racism,” “equity” and “diversity.”

Gee, I always thought that the word “inclusivity” was about including things, not excluding things.

And I always thought the word “diversity” meant there should be more choices, not fewer.

And I’m not sure how getting rid of The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank contributes to the fight against racism.

View attachment 829939

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/peel-school-board-library-book-weeding-1.6964332

‘Empty shelves with absolutely no books’: Students, parents question school board’s library weeding process

Books published in 2008 or earlier removed from school library amid confusion around new equity-based process

September 13, 2023

Those are all examples of books Reina Takata says she can no longer find in her public high school library in Mississauga, Ont., which she visits on her lunch hour most days.

In May, Takata says the shelves at Erindale Secondary School were full of books, but she noticed that they had gradually started to disappear. When she returned to school this fall, things were more stark.

“This year, I came into my school library and there are rows and rows of empty shelves with absolutely no books,” said Takata, who started Grade 10 last week.

Peel has to be one of the worst if not the worst school board in Canada. One of my friends is a teacher with the Peel Board and we just roll our eyes at the what goes on.

If you read the article, they’re putting the older books back.

View attachment 829939

September 13, 2023

But in a statement Wednesday, the education minister said he has written to the board to immediately end this practice.

"Ontario is committed to ensuring that the addition of new books better reflects the rich diversity of our communities," said Lecce.

"It is offensive, illogical and counterintuitive to remove books from years past that educate students on Canada's history, antisemitism or celebrated literary classics."

But in a statement Wednesday, the education minister said he has written to the board to immediately end this practice.

"Ontario is committed to ensuring that the addition of new books better reflects the rich diversity of our communities," said Lecce.

"It is offensive, illogical and counterintuitive to remove books from years past that educate students on Canada's history, antisemitism or celebrated literary classics."

But the loons are still there, and still in charge. Your attempt at damage control sucks.

View attachment 829939

September 13, 2023

Getting rid of Anne Frank is important. It has already been updated and reimagined. Anne Frank is a black lesbian.

Last edited:
But the loons are still there, and still in charge. Your attempt at damage control sucks.
Damage control?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I quoted the OP's link.

I don't support the removal or banning of books, as I'm not a conservative.

View attachment 829939

September 13, 2023

Ahhh
Now thiers plenty of room for gay ****** books

ttfghbnn.gif

Damage control?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I quoted the OP's link.

I don't support the removal or banning of books, as I'm not a conservative.

Sure you do. Your gang supports denying free speech to anybody who your Hive tells you to 'cancel'. Quit lying; that ship has sailed for you gimps.

Many of the books are being rewritten to today's standards. The Diary of Anne Frank was rewritten to make Frank a black lesbian. Historical associations have asked the publisher to pull the book.

Forum List

Back