Elizabeth Warren proposes canceling student loan debt and offering free public college

American poverty or global poverty? You said half of humanity lives of poverty so I assume you mean global poverty. People suffering from global poverty would love the opportunity to be in America.
Yes global. There certainly is plenty of poverty in the US, however.

I find it appalling that we have so much poverty, yet these billionaires continue to enrich and empower themselves without an iota of concern. Their only concern is making sure they are protected from the masses, should the masses wake up and knock down their doors.
I know. How dare those wealthy people steal all that money from the poor. As they get more wealth, the rest of us sink ever deeper into poverty:

declining-global-poverty-share-1820-2015.png

Well, at least if you ignore every iota of data that exists out there.

Billionaires wealth is growing ever faster. Ironically, the level of world poverty is dropping at an increased rate as well. I guess the fleecing argument is bullshit.
Yes everything is peaches and cream.

You think this absurd concentration of wealth is acceptable. I don’t know how that is possible.

In 2017 EIGHT MEN OWNED HALF THE WORLD’S WEALTH. EIGHT MFers!!!

define wealth.

Owning nothing.

So you are going to give everything you own away in order to be wealthy?

Continue to ignore this huge problem. You may be fine with eight men having as much wealth as half the world. I am not. We have people around the world trying to live on $2 a day, while these rich bastards do all they can to further enrich and empower themselves. It’s obscene.

It depends on how they got the wealth. This is where your argument needs to be more specific. I can't get behind an agenda that claims that merely having too much wealth is a crime. If the wealth is accrued through voluntary transactions, via people simply paying for the things they want and need, then any resulting income disparity is the will of the people, and should be honored as such.

If, on the other hand, wealth is the result of theft or fraud, or if it was amassed as a result of sweetheart deals with government - then yes, it is wrong and something should be done. I believe there are many, many examples of this that we can address. And if liberals focused on those cases, instead of promoting the general idea that it's wrong for someone to have "too much" money, they'd find real consensus with libertarians and (some) conservatives - enough to get real momentum for rooting out the corruption.
That is not the argument. I don’t care how they attained their wealth, though I think one can make a solid argument that all of them attained their massive wealth fraudulently. I base this on the fact that our central government is for sale, has been for decades, to the highest bidder. They all use government as a protection racket the Mafia can only dream of.

We don’t have free market capitalism with the huge transnational corporations. We have a Fascist system of cronyism. This is how the billionaires become billionaires.

The point is when we have millions if not a billion humans on the planet living in squalor, while a tiny select few humans live in unprecedented luxury, it is immoral.

This makes no sense to me. You (correctly, I think) identify the problem: our government is for sale. And that is the problem we should resolve. Harassing the buyers, or raising their taxes, or whatever scheme one might cook up to redistribute income, only gives government more power, more "services" to sell to wealthy interests.
Yes the immortality just means nothing to you.

Why though when we could borrow another trillion for bombing brown people instead? That's what real nationalism is about, right?

Anyway, sarcasm aside, this will be Donald's 2020 competitor. You better take her seriously. Calling her Pocahontas won't be good enough.

Elizabeth Warren proposes canceling student loan debt and offering free public college

The proposal would cancel up to $50,000 in debt for people with annual household income under $100,000. Beyond that income threshold, smaller amounts of debt would be canceled, but no one with more than $250,000 in household income would be eligible.

To keep students from accumulating more debt in the future, Warren also proposes making two- and four-year public colleges tuition free, according to a plan unveiled in advance of a Monday evening CNN town hall focused on issues of interest to young voters.

With a price tag of $1.25 trillion over 10 years, Warren’s higher-education initiatives up the ante on an issue that most 2020 Democratic presidential candidates have been trying to address in more modest ways.

Why though when we could borrow another trillion for bombing brown people instead? That's what real nationalism is about, right?

Anyway, sarcasm aside, this will be Donald's 2020 competitor. You better take her seriously. Calling her Pocahontas won't be good enough.

The proposal would cancel up to $50,000 in debt for people with annual household income under $100,000. Beyond that income threshold, smaller amounts of debt would be canceled, but no one with more than $250,000 in household income would be eligible.

To keep students from accumulating more debt in the future, Warren also proposes making two- and four-year public colleges tuition free, according to a plan unveiled in advance of a Monday evening CNN town hall focused on issues of interest to young voters.

With a price tag of $1.25 trillion over 10 years, Warren’s higher-education initiatives up the ante on an issue that most 2020 Democratic presidential candidates have been trying to address in more modest ways.

Seriously, she has got a lot of nerve calling for college loan forgiveness when she was one of the culprits. When she wasn’t checking the box for her 1/1,024th Cherokee Indian heritage, she was charging $300-$400 /hour to teach one class. Trump donates his $400k per year salary as President.

Elizabeth Warren does identify a serious problem that has serious implications for a consumer driven society. The Republicans are partially responsible for it. Republican governors have cut taxpayer dollars to state funded institutions. Republicans in Congress have moved towards loans and away from grants. They cannot ignore the problem.

Also many student loans carry a 7% interest rate. That is almost usurious in today's dirt cheap interest rates. Also many people who are paying loans were steered into programs which delayed payments but did allowed interest to build and were not told about income based plans. Instead of the government holding these companies accountable, they would allow them to continue. Crooked Republicans who favor big business over the ordinary person.

The best thing to do may be income based payments with loan forgiveness after 20 years.

Seriously, she has got a lot of nerve calling for college loan forgiveness when she was one of the culprits. When she wasn’t checking the box for her 1/1,024th Cherokee Indian heritage, she was charging $300-$400 /hour to teach one class. Trump donates his $400k per year salary as President.

Elizabeth Warren does identify a serious problem that has serious implications for a consumer driven society. The Republicans are partially responsible for it. Republican governors have cut taxpayer dollars to state funded institutions. Republicans in Congress have moved towards loans and away from grants. They cannot ignore the problem.

Also many student loans carry a 7% interest rate. That is almost usurious in today's dirt cheap interest rates. Also many people who are paying loans were steered into programs which delayed payments but did allowed interest to build and were not told about income based plans. Instead of the government holding these companies accountable, they would allow them to continue. Crooked Republicans who favor big business over the ordinary person.

The best thing to do may be income based payments with loan forgiveness after 20 years.

For an unsecured loan, that is a loan given with no collateral like a home or other property, 7% is damn reasonable

Continue to ignore this huge problem. You may be fine with eight men having as much wealth as half the world. I am not. We have people around the world trying to live on $2 a day, while these rich bastards do all they can to further enrich and empower themselves. It’s obscene.

It depends on how they got the wealth. This is where your argument needs to be more specific. I can't get behind an agenda that claims that merely having too much wealth is a crime. If the wealth is accrued through voluntary transactions, via people simply paying for the things they want and need, then any resulting income disparity is the will of the people, and should be honored as such.

If, on the other hand, wealth is the result of theft or fraud, or if it was amassed as a result of sweetheart deals with government - then yes, it is wrong and something should be done. I believe there are many, many examples of this that we can address. And if liberals focused on those cases, instead of promoting the general idea that it's wrong for someone to have "too much" money, they'd find real consensus with libertarians and (some) conservatives - enough to get real momentum for rooting out the corruption.
That is not the argument. I don’t care how they attained their wealth, though I think one can make a solid argument that all of them attained their massive wealth fraudulently. I base this on the fact that our central government is for sale, has been for decades, to the highest bidder. They all use government as a protection racket the Mafia can only dream of.

We don’t have free market capitalism with the huge transnational corporations. We have a Fascist system of cronyism. This is how the billionaires become billionaires.

The point is when we have millions if not a billion humans on the planet living in squalor, while a tiny select few humans live in unprecedented luxury, it is immoral.

This makes no sense to me. You (correctly, I think) identify the problem: our government is for sale. And that is the problem we should resolve. Harassing the buyers, or raising their taxes, or whatever scheme one might cook up to redistribute income, only gives government more power, more "services" to sell to wealthy interests.

That's not true at all. I just see no inherent immorality in one person having more money than another.

That's not true at all. I just see no inherent immorality in one person having more money than another.
He said immortality

I guess he thinks rich people will live forever

He said immortality

I assumed it was a typo. gipper ?

...,educating the masses will ensure the death of racism and bigotry ....

:lol:

Yes global. There certainly is plenty of poverty in the US, however.

I find it appalling that we have so much poverty, yet these billionaires continue to enrich and empower themselves without an iota of concern. Their only concern is making sure they are protected from the masses, should the masses wake up and knock down their doors.
I know. How dare those wealthy people steal all that money from the poor. As they get more wealth, the rest of us sink ever deeper into poverty:

Billionaires wealth is growing ever faster. Ironically, the level of world poverty is dropping at an increased rate as well. I guess the fleecing argument is bullshit.

You think this absurd concentration of wealth is acceptable. I don’t know how that is possible.

define wealth.

Owning nothing.

Exactly

You know who Warren's economic advisor is? This highly touted lefty economist who is on public record as being a huge supporter of the policies of.....ready for this.....Hugo Chavez! Name is Kinitz.....a real bozo.

Warren doesnt stand a chance anyway ( see beer stunt :113:)

define wealth.

Owning nothing.

Exactly

I guess you're nowhere near wealthy then since you seem to own a computer

define wealth.

Owning nothing.

Exactly

It’s a lifelong process.

Exactly

It’s a lifelong process.
So you'll be wealthy when you're dead and can't own anything

Now you’re getting it.

So might as well buy all the guitars I want now

Stupid is as stupid does.
I'll be damned before I pay more taxes so 100.000's of party-all-night / sleep-all-day kids can have a few years of prepaid room and board.
Failure rates are astronomical thanks to the government already providing grants/full paid scholarships regardless of grades.

He said immortality

I assumed it was a typo. gipper ?
Yes. Immorality

that tax bill and those deregulations arer really working wonders for this economy. we dont need you Pocahontas!

It is but we are still in Danger from Obama’s debts interest rates it’s about to take off pls Stop this run away Train or we won’t be able to pay the interest

Warren wants to raise taxes on the 'rich'.
The 'rich' are the job creators. Did any of you ever get hired by a 'poor' person?

Forum List

Back