Eight YEARS of CO2 Emissions Built Into Every Tesla Model S..

There have now been over 540,000 electric vehicles sold in the U.S.

Electric vehicle sales in the U.S. are higher than they’ve ever been, according to a report published by ChargePoint, which operates more than 31,000 electric vehicle chargers in the U.S.

Between November 2015 and November 2016, more than 130,000 plug-in hybrid or battery-powered EVs were sold, bringing the total number of EVs on the road in the U.S. and Canada to close to 535,000. In the U.S. alone, 542,000 EVs have been sold to date.

Put in context, that’s more than seven times the 73,000 EVs that were sold in the U.S. in 2012. That’s not just concentrated in places like California. While California is still in the lead as the state with the most EVs, Utah is the fastest growing and saw a 60 percent increase in EV registrations.

The Tesla Model S topped the chart with the most vehicles sold between January and November 2016. In the second spot was Chevy Volt with more than 21,000 vehicles, followed by the Tesla Model X and then the Ford Fusion. At the bottom of the list was the Toyota Prius Plug-in — only 52 were sold.

I see Tesla's on a daily basis. Quite a lot of them here in Portland. A couple of people at work own Leaf's. And there are quite a number of the e-Smart cars running around, also. Even a couple of Think's. The EV's are going to eat the ICE's lunch in less than a decade.

I wonder what percent are still running.
Consumer Reports On Electric Vehicle Reliability: "In General, Electric Cars Have Been Stellar"

In its annual reliability survey of 1.1 million vehicles, Consumer Reports stated that it expects “reliability of new models to be 60% above average” for the Nissan LEAF and that the Tesla Model S fared well, despite problems with squeaks, rattles, body hardware and door handles that don’t always pop out. The Model S scored well in the areas that matter most, including drive system, electrical system, suspension, brakes, paint and so on.

Design News notes:

“To be sure, feedback on pure electrics is still sparse, with the Ford Focus EV, Chevy Spark EV, Honda Fit EV, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, and Toyota RAV4 EV failing to appear in the survey because of insufficient data. Early indications, however, point to pure EVs having a reliability advantage over hybrids and conventional vehicles, at least for now.”

And Fisher concludes:

“The electric vehicle looks good from a maintenance and reliability standpoint. There’s just less to worry about.”

60% above average reliability is a pretty strong statement. And, as the EV's become more common, the reliability will increase.

But they won't their hey day was in the 1800s.

You will never convince the real working men of this country to buy a clown car
LOL Sounds like that CEO of GM that stated that the American car buyer would never buy those funny little foreign cars. LOL

Driving a Tesla is like driving a large sewing machine with 4 wheels. Smooth, quiet, and boring. Forget that. .... :eusa_hand:

I want a real car with a big V8 and plenty of horsepower. Where you can feel the engine vibrating in your bones; the rumbling exhaust note is like a symphony to your ears; and the visceral feeling of being being glued to your seat as the beast accelerates from the stop light. ... :thup:

Tesla Gives the California Power Grid a Battery Boost

Just off a freeway in Southern California, 396 refrigerator-size stacks of Tesla batteries, encased in white metal, have been hastily erected with a new mission: to suck up electricity from the grid during the day and feed it back into the system as needed, especially in the evening.

The installation, capable of powering roughly 15,000 homes over four hours, is part of an emergency response to projected energy shortages stemming from a huge leak at a natural gas storage facility.

The project, which officially came online Monday but began operating at the end of last year, is an important and surprising demonstration of how utilities can use enormous collections of batteries in place of conventional power plants.

It is also an indication of how rapidly Tesla is moving to transform itself from a maker of luxury electric cars into a multifaceted clean-energy

https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...h-australia-meets-competition-presents-upside

Summary
South Australia announces two pronged strategy involving 100MW battery storage and new gas facility to resolve its energy crisis.

Expression of interest for 100 MW grid-connected battery released yesterday with two weeks response time - South Australian Premier invites Tesla to tender.

At least three tenderers likely to compete with Tesla for the battery opportunity.

Battery installation will be a high profile test of renewable energy stability, not just in Australia but internationally. This is a substantial business opportunity for Tesla.

A battery proposal, perhaps with solar PV for additional power generation, will compete with the need to build new gas - big implications for gas as a bridge fuel.

There has been a lot of heat generated in the energy debate in South Australia and last week Australian billionaire and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes threw a grenade into the debate by calling Elon Musk on a claim that Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) could fix a high profile stoush about South Australia's energy stability with a battery offering that TSLA would install within 100 days or provide it for free. I wrote about the emerging story four days ago.

There has been a lot of activity over the weekend and at the start of this week, with general support for the idea of getting out of the fossil fuel fixation to look at modern solutions to the issue.

Nothing happening with grid scale batteries, eh?

The installation, capable of powering roughly 15,000 homes over four hours,

:rolleyes:

Lmfao 15,000 homes with four hours?

View attachment 136124

The sad part is -- I've already told GoldyRocks that that facility purpose is NOT grid storage, but synchronization of different feeds and power conditioning. Lots of stuff on the grid besides wires and transformers.

But he STILL calls it -- Grid Scale Storage...

Driving a Tesla is like driving a large sewing machine with 4 wheels. Smooth, quiet, and boring. Forget that. .... :eusa_hand:

I want a real car with a big V8 and plenty of horsepower. Where you can feel the engine vibrating in your bones; the rumbling exhaust note is like a symphony to your ears; and the visceral feeling of being being glued to your seat as the beast accelerates from the stop light. ... :thup:
Dumb, de dumbdumb. The P100D will beat almost every one of those V-8's in the quarter mile, absolutely stock. As far as the noise, after 50+ years in heavy industry, I have had all the noise I care to hear.

Electric vehicle sales in the U.S. are higher than they’ve ever been, according to a report published by ChargePoint, which operates more than 31,000 electric vehicle chargers in the U.S.

Between November 2015 and November 2016, more than 130,000 plug-in hybrid or battery-powered EVs were sold, bringing the total number of EVs on the road in the U.S. and Canada to close to 535,000. In the U.S. alone, 542,000 EVs have been sold to date.

Put in context, that’s more than seven times the 73,000 EVs that were sold in the U.S. in 2012. That’s not just concentrated in places like California. While California is still in the lead as the state with the most EVs, Utah is the fastest growing and saw a 60 percent increase in EV registrations.

The Tesla Model S topped the chart with the most vehicles sold between January and November 2016. In the second spot was Chevy Volt with more than 21,000 vehicles, followed by the Tesla Model X and then the Ford Fusion. At the bottom of the list was the Toyota Prius Plug-in — only 52 were sold.

I see Tesla's on a daily basis. Quite a lot of them here in Portland. A couple of people at work own Leaf's. And there are quite a number of the e-Smart cars running around, also. Even a couple of Think's. The EV's are going to eat the ICE's lunch in less than a decade.

Consumer Reports On Electric Vehicle Reliability: "In General, Electric Cars Have Been Stellar"

In its annual reliability survey of 1.1 million vehicles, Consumer Reports stated that it expects “reliability of new models to be 60% above average” for the Nissan LEAF and that the Tesla Model S fared well, despite problems with squeaks, rattles, body hardware and door handles that don’t always pop out. The Model S scored well in the areas that matter most, including drive system, electrical system, suspension, brakes, paint and so on.

Design News notes:

“To be sure, feedback on pure electrics is still sparse, with the Ford Focus EV, Chevy Spark EV, Honda Fit EV, Mitsubishi i-MiEV, and Toyota RAV4 EV failing to appear in the survey because of insufficient data. Early indications, however, point to pure EVs having a reliability advantage over hybrids and conventional vehicles, at least for now.”

And Fisher concludes:

“The electric vehicle looks good from a maintenance and reliability standpoint. There’s just less to worry about.”

60% above average reliability is a pretty strong statement. And, as the EV's become more common, the reliability will increase.

LOL Sounds like that CEO of GM that stated that the American car buyer would never buy those funny little foreign cars. LOL

Remind us again what is the best selling vehicle in America?

Dumb, de dumbdumb. The P100D will beat almost every one of those V-8's in the quarter mile, absolutely stock. As far as the noise, after 50+ years in heavy industry, I have had all the noise I care to hear.

Tow something like a boat , snowmobile, ATV.

Watch you won't make it 10 miles

Just off a freeway in Southern California, 396 refrigerator-size stacks of Tesla batteries, encased in white metal, have been hastily erected with a new mission: to suck up electricity from the grid during the day and feed it back into the system as needed, especially in the evening.

The installation, capable of powering roughly 15,000 homes over four hours, is part of an emergency response to projected energy shortages stemming from a huge leak at a natural gas storage facility.

The project, which officially came online Monday but began operating at the end of last year, is an important and surprising demonstration of how utilities can use enormous collections of batteries in place of conventional power plants.

It is also an indication of how rapidly Tesla is moving to transform itself from a maker of luxury electric cars into a multifaceted clean-energy

https://seekingalpha.com/article/40...h-australia-meets-competition-presents-upside

Summary
South Australia announces two pronged strategy involving 100MW battery storage and new gas facility to resolve its energy crisis.

Expression of interest for 100 MW grid-connected battery released yesterday with two weeks response time - South Australian Premier invites Tesla to tender.

At least three tenderers likely to compete with Tesla for the battery opportunity.

Battery installation will be a high profile test of renewable energy stability, not just in Australia but internationally. This is a substantial business opportunity for Tesla.

A battery proposal, perhaps with solar PV for additional power generation, will compete with the need to build new gas - big implications for gas as a bridge fuel.

There has been a lot of heat generated in the energy debate in South Australia and last week Australian billionaire and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes threw a grenade into the debate by calling Elon Musk on a claim that Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) could fix a high profile stoush about South Australia's energy stability with a battery offering that TSLA would install within 100 days or provide it for free. I wrote about the emerging story four days ago.

There has been a lot of activity over the weekend and at the start of this week, with general support for the idea of getting out of the fossil fuel fixation to look at modern solutions to the issue.

View attachment 136124

The sad part is -- I've already told GoldyRocks that that facility purpose is NOT grid storage, but synchronization of different feeds and power conditioning. Lots of stuff on the grid besides wires and transformers.

And that is the beauty of grid scale storage, it does more than one thing.

I see. Electric motors are incapable of pulling a big load, is that what you are saying? LOL Again, Dumb de dumbdumb. Do you know how a diesel locomotive works? LOL

Design News notes:

And Fisher concludes:

Remind us again what is the best selling vehicle in America?

Remind us once again how many luxury sports EV's were on the road a decade ago.

I see. Electric motors are incapable of pulling a big load, is that what you are saying? LOL Again, Dumb de dumbdumb. Do you know how a diesel locomotive works? LOL

We are talking battery life idiot, don't you remember that cannon ball run you bragged about with a telsa?

They had to draft , not use A/C , not use the radio....

And you think that the batteries will not be vastly improved even 5 years from now? The Goodenough battery is just one of many new designs that promise to vastly increase the energy density of the batteries. A Tesla S that can go 900+ miles on one charge, or a Bolt that could could go 800 miles on a single charge will pretty much leave the ICE's in the dust.

Summary

View attachment 136124

And that is the beauty of grid scale storage, it does more than one thing.

The things you're quoting are NOT Grid Scale storage -- so that's the ONE thing they do not do..

To add the costs and waste streams and maintenance to do TRUE wind field or solar farm buffering would place solar and wind off limits as cost prohibitive.

The Japanese are the ONLY folks that REQUIRE a minimal amount of GSStorage for any wind/solar. And THAT is about 15 to 20 minutes of overage capacity. It has to be AT THE SOURCE.. You cannot OVERLOAD the grid to have it soaked up as a "distributed" storage.

I worked in heavy industry, oil/ coal fired power plants, and large factories, all of my adult life as a tech and later a mechanical engineer. So yea, I know about the deafening roar, vibrational pounding, and incessant hammering of manufacturing equipment. But the sweet sound of a finely tuned car is different.

So I guess that's why I love the combustion engine. They are a mechanical marvel that the average person can modify and customize to get increased performance and speed. A rolling work of art. .... :cool:

Last edited:
Battery's is as old as the Egyptians..

Think about that old rocks

download.jpg

And you think that the batteries will not be vastly improved even 5 years from now? The Goodenough battery is just one of many new designs that promise to vastly increase the energy density of the batteries. A Tesla S that can go 900+ miles on one charge, or a Bolt that could could go 800 miles on a single charge will pretty much leave the ICE's in the dust.
So far that battery is nothing more than a pipe dream that nobody who knows his physics believes till Mr.Goodenough actually proves his claims . So far this thing exists only in news releases
For his invention to work as described, they say, it would probably have to abandon the laws of thermodynamics, which say perpetual motion is not possible. The law has been a fundamental of batteries for more than a century and a half.and he avoids any and all questions.
If anyone but Goodenough published this, I would be, well, it’s hard to find a polite word,” Daniel Steingart, a professor at Princeton, told Quartz.
Goodenough did not respond to emails.
Helena Braga, the paper’s lead author, in an exchange of emails, insisted that the team’s claims are valid.
It’s what is not stated in the paper that has some of the battery community stumped. How is Goodenough’s new invention storing any energy at all? The known rules of physics state that, to derive energy, differing material must produce differing eletro-chemical reactions in the two opposing electrodes. That difference produces voltage, allowing energy to be stored.

The 94-year-old father of the lithium-ion battery says he's made another big breakthrough

Well I see much speculation on this thread but heres what we know for sure...........

With one or two exceptions, everybody posting in this thread will be a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time in their box by the time electric vehicles are a significant segment of the market. So really, the topic is kinda ghey.:popcorn:

Well I see much speculation on this thread but heres what we know for sure...........

With one or two exceptions, everybody posting in this thread will be a loooooooooooooooooooooooong time in their box by the time electric vehicles are a significant segment of the market. So really, the topic is kinda ghey.:popcorn:

Agree

This is like the 1970s all over again.

Oh really? In the 1970's we had American cars with 400 cu. in. engines that could not get out of their own way. And the Europeans bought the Bendix computerized injection, and stomped our ass. Small engines that got excellent mileage, were fast, and last 200K or more. And suddenly, in less than a generation we saw Japanese, German, and Swedish cars on all our highways.

Forum List

Back