"Eff you, old man. Now clean it up."

Not an issue. I have spent the last 40 years developing a very specific set of skills.

When I was growing up, my parents emphasized to me the importance of education, because I didn't want to be "digging a ditch" when I grew up. To them, that was the lowest of the low.

So if you are sixty years old, and your one skill set is cleaning up after yuppy spawn, and one of them is rude to you so you quit, that says a lot about your bad choices.

Again, I've heard the other side of it. Disinterested teachers who know they can't be fired, or teachers who are burned out and just giving up.

“I have spent the last 40 years developing a very specific set of skills.”

Stealing movie lines? That’s hardly a skill.

But if you walk off your job working with children because a child was rude to you, maybe you don't need that job that badly.
And maybe you are far too defensive of the failed liberal culture that dominates our public schools

I was born in a very working class background

So, no, I'm not going to have a lot of sympathy for an underachiever doing a menial job

Do realize those lowly menial workers built this country Joe

every road you walk down, every building you walk into.....

collectively we've achieved quite a lot

~S~

JFC. What an asshole.

You sound like that little shit in the story - that needed his head caved in with instant corporal punishment. You must be what happens when that crap festers.
We must not instill fear into our kids, even though it might someday save their lives. They are better off dead but fearless. Maybe that's why so many kids are dying, they're fearless.

Last edited:
I'd argue the problem is more to do with parents. The teachers didn't raise a bastard, his parents did.

But if you walk off your job working with children because a child was rude to you, maybe you don't need that job that badly.

Yes, if you are so fragile that you quit your job because a child disrespected you, then you really don't deserve much respect.

Of course, we don't know the whole backstory. Maybe this janitor was a creeper who the kids all hated. Maybe this kid comes from a troubled home and was acting out. It's why I don't take anything at face value.

I was born in a very working class background. My dad was a sheet metal worker (who died at 56 because he got to suck in asbestos at work all day for 30 years) and my mom was an art teacher at the Catholic Prison Camp I attended for 8 years. (I don't call it a school, I call it a prison camp.) So, no, we weren't wealthy by any means.

So you know what I did? I worked hard in school so I wouldn't "dig ditches". I joined the Army Reserves to pay for college because my parents were too busy being dead to pay my tuition. I worked two minimum wage jobs to afford the rest of it. Then I went active duty for six years after college. And after I got out of the service, I walked smack dab into George H. Bush's recession and the best job I could get was working in a warehouse. I realized that despite my education and veteran status, I really needed more skills, so I went back to school and got them. When the jobs I finally got didn't really pay that well after old Dubya decided to top his dad by REALLY wrecking the economy, I started a side business that grew into something substantial.

So, no, I'm not going to have a lot of sympathy for an underachiever doing a menial job, who quits in a huff because a child was mean to him.
Perhaps he quit because the school disrespected him. The kid's unpunished behavior was the last straw. But if he openly blamed the school he might not get another job in that district. So, blaming the kid was a smart move on his part.

“I have spent the last 40 years developing a very specific set of skills.”

Stealing movie lines? That’s hardly a skill.
Most serious people develop their skills, no matter how 'low skilled' their jobs are.

Um, yeah, because the custodian is always a respected position.

Wow, Islamophobic Twit is shocked to find out...kids are little bastards! And if you lock a bunch of them in a place they don't want to be for seven hours a day with people they don't want to spend time with, they are going to be abusive to each other and the staff.

All that said, I would hope that the kid in question was sent to detention, but I doubt it.

He better get used to it, because he will be in a jail or prison soon, under those exact same conditions.

Uh, let's get real, here, if the best job you could get was cleaning up after little yuppie spawn for 27K a year, you failed at life, and even High School kids know it.

Of course, the only reason why those jobs are desirable is because unions make sure they are paid well, so I'm not sure what he is bitching about.

I found school to be a miserable experience... you put people through miserable experiences, they will frequently be miserable themselves.

You should know, you are probably the most miserable creature on this board.
$27K a year? I guarantee most custodians do not make that much!

I wish I could say this is unheard of--I mean people walking out mid-day, or mid-year. But even in my very good school, we have lost four staff members this way.

What is wrong with kids today? A few years, I heard that an English teacher I had in Highschool was assaulted by a student…punched. She would have been elderly then. WTF. I never heard of that happening before. Things have changed.

Not an issue. I have spent the last 40 years developing a very specific set of skills.

When I was growing up, my parents emphasized to me the importance of education, because I didn't want to be "digging a ditch" when I grew up. To them, that was the lowest of the low.

So if you are sixty years old, and your one skill set is cleaning up after yuppy spawn, and one of them is rude to you so you quit, that says a lot about your bad choices.

Again, I've heard the other side of it. Disinterested teachers who know they can't be fired, or teachers who are burned out and just giving up.
What a fucking asshole clown ^^^^^^^^.

I wish I could say this is unheard of--I mean people walking out mid-day, or mid-year. But even in my very good school, we have lost four staff members this way.

This is what happens when kids think they are entitled to treat others badly and there will be no consequences for their actions. Let me guess: the kid was a white, male athlete???
One side of their mouths: "if a child has a meltdown in your class and kicks, hits, screams, shouts, throws things and bites, you should *empathize* with the child. Behavior is communication."

On the other, in secondary school: "If you see something, say something. Any violent threats, any violent deeds"

What kind of a mess is that?

A "meltdown" or a mental health crisis where an autistic child is overwhelmed, is not a "lack of discipline", nor will it result in the behaviour of the entitled asshole in your OP. Consequences imposed will have absolutely no impact on the austistic child's behaviour,

Lack of consequences, or even responsible parents who taught their son the "Golden Rule", are the source of this young man's behavioural problems.

This is what happens when kids think they are entitled to treat others badly and there will be no consequences for their actions. Let me guess: the kid was a white, male athlete???

What a fucking douche bag assumption.

I made the mistake of seeing who the "ignored comment" was and was treated to this--a liberal democrat once again hating on the working man. Tell us, please do, why custodians don't deserve our respect? Why we shouldn't be teaching kids to respect those who clean our buildings?

God help you. He's the only one who can.

You need better reading comprehension skills. Joe expressed no disrespect to the custodian whatsoever. Just that an arrogant jerk like the student in your story would think he could abuse the janitor with impunity. By chance was the student white, and the janitor a visible minority?

Forum List

Back