Drone Strikes Are Act of Self-Defense...?!

The GOP can't even commit to an AUMF against ISISBOOMBAH, they are such hypocritical cowards. I've never seen such a large number of balless pussies.

After One Year of War on ISIS, No AUMF in Sight
The war against ISIS began with airstrikes a year ago this week and lawmakers have spent significant time in the last 12 months debating the strategy and, in many cases, criticizing the way the Obama administration is conducting the fight. But one thing members of Congress have yet to do is have a vote – or even a substantive debate – over authorizing the military campaign.

Instead, President Obama has relied on past authorizations for the use of military force (AUMFs) against al-Qaeda in 2001 and in Iraq in 2002 as the legal justification for the current campaign against the terrorist organization operating mostly in Iraq and Syria. Despite the White House’s insistence, lawmakers are split on whether they agree. Some believe the president is operating within a legitimate legal framework. Others don’t.

Bitch that the president isn't doing enough. Bitch that the president is doing too much.

Textbook symptoms of Obama Derangement Syndrome.
That's the Gnu Right's way: "Whatever Obama is doing, we're against it."

God forbid they would ever say what they think should be done or commit to anything.

[QUOTE="g5000, post: 12799945, member: 34052]

Funny how the Right didn't seem troubled by that under Bush, eh? They had to invent the term "detainee" and not use "POW" so they could violate the Geneva conventions and torture them.[/QUOTE]

Terrorists are not a part of any formal military. International law did not recognize terrorists as 'POW's. They were considered 'Unlawful Combatants' . The terms 'Unprivileged Combatant' and 'Unprivileged Belligerent' (under Obama) has been used to avoid using the term for which they are - 'Terrorists'.

As CiC the President doesn't need Congress to launch a military strike anywhere in the world.
The President has the authority to use military power for a certain length of time according to the War Powers Act; however, after that certain amount of time is up the Constitution makes it clear the President must go before Congress and officially request permission to continue to use the military in a campaign....

Congress has already authorized the President to use Military force. They could revoke that authorization if they choose.....but it would be better if they were to reaffirm their commitment, but with the GOP in the majority that would be too much like giving President Obama a victory wouldn't it?

Obama is having to move forward in an environment where if he succeeds, the Right won't give him credit, but if he fails they will howl for years and years.

It takes a lot of guts to work in that kind of political environment, surrounded by gutless enemies who would rather see America fail than see Obama succeed.

That's the Gnu Right's way: "Whatever Obama is doing, we're against it.".
See, again, it's stupid 'generalized' comments, with little intelligent thought behind it, that prevents from having a serious intelligent conversation. I am all for striking terrorists, for example. Good on him! I do think, however, that a more comprehensive foreign policy is needed than just 'drone strike ISIS'...and I believe we should be doing more than just striking them with drones.

Congress has already authorized the President to use Military force. They could revoke that authorization if they choose.....but it would be better if they were to reaffirm their commitment, but with the GOP in the majority that would be too much like giving President Obama a victory wouldn't it?
Please provide the link to the document in which they gave him authority to carry on an entire military campaign against ISIS.... thank you.

Funny how the Right didn't seem troubled by that under Bush, eh? They had to invent the term "detainee" and not use "POW" so they could violate the Geneva conventions and torture them.

Terrorists are not a part of any formal military. International law did not recognize terrorists as 'POW's. They were considered 'Unlawful Combatants' . The terms 'Unprivileged Combatant' and 'Unprivileged Belligerent' (under Obama) has been used to avoid using the term for which they are - 'Terrorists'.
Once again, learn how to use the fricking quote function. It isn't that difficult.

While you were in a coma, the Bush Administration did pretzel twists with the Geneva Conventions to avoid trying the terrorists as criminals because the Gnu Right would shit their pants at the mere prospect of a terrorist being on US soil in a US court and going to a US supermax prison.

Now that the baton has been passed to Obama, the Gnu Right has conveniently found problems with this process.

Very amusing.

Please provide the link to the document in which they gave him authority to carry on an entire military campaign against ISIS.... thank you.
See post 61.

You're welcome.

That's the Gnu Right's way: "Whatever Obama is doing, we're against it.".
See, again, it's stupid 'generalized' comments, with little intelligent thought behind it, that prevents from having a serious intelligent conversation. I am all for striking terrorists, for example. Good on him! I do think, however, that a more comprehensive foreign policy is needed than just 'drone strike ISIS'...and I believe we should be doing more than just striking them with drones.
Try finding the GOP policy on this.

Good luck with that.

And I'm sorry, but you have to be stone blind not to notice the "Whatever Obama is doing we are against it" single-minded herd mentality of the Gnu Right on this forum.

Obama is having to move forward in an environment where if he succeeds, the Right won't give him credit, but if he fails they will howl for years and years.

It takes a lot of guts to work in that kind of political environment, surrounded by gutless enemies who would rather see America fail than see Obama succeed.
WHO THE HELL cares about 'credit', other than F*ed up politicians?!

There is so much 'political' in your comment, accusatorily as well as the potential in a response....however, I am going to try to work around those...

The handling of ISIS has been bad...from arming them from Benghazi, to letting them flow freely into Iraq, to the proxy war against Assad while giving ISIS 'lip service' instead of our full attention. I am not blaming Obama, because there are a LOT of people who have played a part in the decision making, the foreign policy development, and the execution.

ISIS is the biggest problem...not Assad. All of our attention should be in taking out ISIS....we should NOT be jerking around - drone strikes. One thing we should have learned from past wars is if you are going to fight a war, bring the full might of the US military down against them in decisive fashion to destroy them as quickly as possible, to WIN as quickly as possible. If you're not going to do that either DO SO, DON'T START IT, or GET OUT!

We're screwing around right now....

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-107publ40/html/PLAW-107publ40.htm

<<NOTE: President.>> In General.--That the President is
authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those
nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized,
committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11,
2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any
future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such
nations, organizations or persons.

It was never rescinded and now President Obama is the Decider.

See post 61. You're welcome.

Thank you for proving my point - OBAMA IS WAGING HIS OWN WAR AGAINST (ASSAD) ISIS WITHOUT SPECIFIC AUTHORIZATION FROM CONGRESS TO DO SO.

It says it right in the link you gave me:

"But one thing members of Congress have yet to do is have a vote – or even a substantive debate – over authorizing the military campaign.

Instead, President Obama has relied on past authorizations for the use of military force (AUMFs) against al-Qaeda in 2001 and in Iraq in 2002 as the legal justification for the current campaign against the terrorist organization operating mostly in Iraq and Syria. Despite the White House’s insistence, lawmakers are split on whether they agree. Some believe the president is operating within a legitimate legal framework. Others don’t."

You just gave e the passage that states OBAMA DOES NOT HAVE THE CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY TO WAGE WAR AGAINST ISIS, AND HE IS DOING SO ANYWAY- UN-CONSTITUTIONALLY - BY JUSTIFYUNIG HIS ACTIONS BASED ON AUTHORIZATIONS GIVEN TO HIM FOR PAST OPERATIONS...NOT THE CURRENT ONE!

Thank you for that awesome link and data!

(And here's where the legal wrangling and justification comes in....'it was never rescinded'. Obama claims that authorities given to him for another operation, not this one, is his authority to take military action elsewhere. Gotta love politicians and Presidents - not JUST Obama - that bend, twist, warp, obfuscate, and do whatever they have to in order to do what they want...)

See post 61. You're welcome.

Thank you for proving my point - OBAMA IS WAGING HIS OWN WAR AGAINST (ASSAD) ISIS WITHOUT SPECIFIC AUTHORIZATION FROM CONGRESS TO DO SO.

It says it right in the link you gave me:

"But one thing members of Congress have yet to do is have a vote – or even a substantive debate – over authorizing the military campaign.

Instead, President Obama has relied on past authorizations for the use of military force (AUMFs) against al-Qaeda in 2001 and in Iraq in 2002 as the legal justification for the current campaign against the terrorist organization operating mostly in Iraq and Syria. Despite the White House’s insistence, lawmakers are split on whether they agree. Some believe the president is operating within a legitimate legal framework. Others don’t."

You just gave e the passage that states OBAMA DOES NOT HAVE THE CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY TO WAGE WAR AGAINST ISIS, AND HE IS DOING SO ANYWAY- UN-CONSTITUTIONALLY - BY JUSTIFYUNIG HIS ACTIONS BASED ON AUTHORIZATIONS GIVEN TO HIM FOR PAST OPERATIONS...NOT THE CURRENT ONE!

Thank you for that awesome link and data!
The President is given authority to go after any organization that is planning a terrorist act against the US. ISIS has publically stated their intent to attack the US with terrorist attacks. Congress and America have given the President permission to fuck them up before they get the chance.

Good luck with that.

And I'm sorry, but you have to be stone blind not to notice the "Whatever Obama is doing we are against it" single-minded herd mentality of the Gnu Right on this forum.

That is part of my point...THERE IS NO POLICY...FROM ANYONE.

Obama began LYING about his 'successes' against ISIS in 2012 to make himself / things look good for the up-coming election. He declared 'the war on Terror is over' and 'Al Qaeda is on the run'. It was all B$! Obama didn't care about fighting / defeating terrorists - he wanted to 'look good in the shower' for the election.

Since then we have been focused on SYRIA and getting Assad out of office. WHO the HELL cares about Assad. HE is not a threat to us. So he's gassing his own people - Hussein did that and libs said we should stay the hell out of that...where are they out now with regards to Syria?! Putin and Iran are now in Syria, deeper than a Louisiana tick on a blood hound....'Taking Down Assad' is OVER!

ISIS is killing Christians and beheading / burning men, women and children. ISIS is threatening our allies. ISIS is vowing to send terrorists here. SO WHY THE HELL ARE WE TAP DANCING WITH ISIS? Drone Strikes? seriously? THAT is what the US military might has been reduced to?

Like I said - if we are going to fight ISIS, let's commit to doing it. kick their ass strongly and quickly then get out of 'Dodge'. If you aren't going to do that, pull our guys back, get out of the way, and let someone else do it.

The President is given authority to go after any organization that is planning a terrorist act against the US. ISIS has publically stated their intent to attack the US with terrorist attacks. Congress and America have given the President permission to fuck them up before they get the chance.

DHS (and more) is responsible for keeping us safe at home. Yes, we can take action against terrorists planning an attack...there is a difference between taking action against individual threats and 'A WAR'.

Good luck with that.

That is part of my point...THERE IS NO POLICY...FROM ANYONE.

Obama began LYING about his 'successes' against ISIS in 2012 to make himself / things look good for the up-coming election. He declared 'the war on Terror is over' and 'Al Qaeda is on the run'. It was all B$! Obama didn't care about fighting / defeating terrorists - he wanted to 'look good in the shower' for the election.

Since then we have been focused on SYRIA and getting Assad out of office. WHO the HELL cares about Assad. HE is not a threat to us. So he's gassing his own people - Hussein did that and libs said we should stay the hell out of that...where are they out now with regards to Syria?! Putin and Iran are now in Syria, deeper than a Louisiana tick on a blood hound....'Taking Down Assad' is OVER!

ISIS is killing Christians and beheading / burning men, women and children. ISIS is threatening our allies. ISIS is vowing to send terrorists here. SO WHY THE HELL ARE WE TAP DANCING WITH ISIS? Drone Strikes? seriously? THAT is what the US military might has been reduced to?

Like I said - if we are going to fight ISIS, let's commit to doing it. kick their ass strongly and quickly then get out of 'Dodge'. If you aren't going to do that, pull our guys back, get out of the way, and let someone else do it.
Obama never said the war on terror was over. You are just making crap up. The war on terror has continued and the allegations of our focusing on the rebel overthrow of Syria is unsubstantiated bullshit.
Your dumb ass hatred of Obama has convinced you to whine and complain about allowing our military and intelligence services of doing their jobs of protecting the country. See what hatred can do. It has made you of well lit obvious asshole.

The attacks are lawful acts of defense in the confines of the military situation. If bad guys put themselves where our troops can't get to them, and if they are a threat to America's defense, then, yeppers, they are lawful targets.

Can't wait for the far right wing to raise up in revolt in America.

They would then find out in about 24 hours how effective a converted fully auto AR15 is against a platoon of M1A1 tanks and a squadron of Apache helicopters.

The sound of thousands of AR15s hitting the ground after being dropped would be a cacophony.

Forum List

Back