Driver Watched Touchscreen ; Pedestrian Died

it doesn't natter ...look at the video--a driver could not see her in time...this is obvious
...you can't stop people from being stupid----and she was stupid--totally her fault...if she was not crossing there, she would be alive........
Jaywalking - FindLaw
it was dark out!!! and she is crossing a 45mph road--this is like begging to get hit
Nobody is condoning the pedestrian's action. In fact, in the OP, I mentioned that she was partially to blame too,

PS - do you play the harmonica ?

JUst because people with their eyes on the road get in crashes, that doesn't mean that crashes can't be caused by eyes being off the road too long. I feel silly even having to respond to something so silly. Of course it matters if your eyes are on the road, or not.

You are trying to make a point on a case that the correlation is spurious. The only thing that mattered was that the pedestrian moved in front of a MOVING CAR.

it doesn't natter ...look at the video--a driver could not see her in time...this is obvious
...you can't stop people from being stupid----and she was stupid--totally her fault...if she was not crossing there, she would be alive........
Jaywalking - FindLaw
it was dark out!!! and she is crossing a 45mph road--this is like begging to get hit
Nobody is condoning the pedestrian's action. In fact, in the OP, I mentioned that she was partially to blame too,

no she was totally to blame
the same thing would've happened if a driver was paying attention

Jaywalking - FindLaw

harmonica from the movie Once Upon a Time In the West

it was the jackass with the bike's fault, not the driver/car
at night walking across a 45mph road
FALSE! Both were at fault, especially the driver whose eyes were off the road waaaay too long. This is the danger of screen technology in motor vehicles.
no--there is no way any driver could've stopped in time --even if his eyes were on the road
I’ve slaughtered plenty of animals that have seemed to come out of no where to cross the path of my vehicle.

It’s difficult to know for sure if an alert driver would have avoided this accident. An alert driver may have seen the lady off to the side of the road in time for some defensive driving before she even started to cross.

You are trying to make a point on a case that the correlation is spurious. The only thing that mattered was that the pedestrian moved in front of a MOVING CAR.
ABSOLUTELY FALSE, as well as IDIOTIC. I shouldn't even be dignifying something as dumb as this, with a response.

If the driver had been watching the road, as required, she could have seen the pedestrian moving toward her path from a distance and swerve or stopped.

This is a cultural matter that seems to be most problematic with younger people, who can't seem to get their noses out of their smart phone screens, and touchscreens. They're a menace.

They need to stop manufacturing these dopey, dangerous toys.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE, as well as IDIOTIC. I shouldn't even be dignifying something as dumb as this, with a response.

If the driver had been watch the road, as required, she could have seen the pedestrian moving toward her path from a distance and swerve or stopped.

Even if he was watching the road, he can't control what the pedestrian does... LIKE WALKING IN FRONT OF A MOVING CAR.

Are you fucking stupid?

I’ve slaughtered plenty of animals that have seemed to come out of no where to cross the path of my vehicle.

It’s difficult to know for sure if an alert driver would have avoided this accident. An alert driver may have seen the lady off to the side of the road in time for some defensive driving before she even started to cross.
Of course. Sometimes you can stop. Sometimes you can't. But you'll never stop in time, if you're not looking at the road. People who take their eyes off the road, shouldn't be driving >> period.

Even if he was watching the road, he can't control what the pedestrian does... LIKE WALKING IN FRONT OF A MOVING CAR.

Are you fucking stupid?
No, but you damn sure are. The driver (a she) may have been able to stop in time, if she was paying attention, as stated in posts # 25, 26, 28.

Playing games on your cell phone toy while you're driving ? Or maybe it's your dash screen ? If so, get the hell off the road, and stay off it.

Dumb F...n kids. .... F..n brats.

IS UBER relying on cams alone? Radar would have caught that...might not have got fully stopped ...Woman doesn't seem to even flinch...either she wasnt attentive or she did this on a regular basis forcing drivers to cater to her and found one who didnt

It still doesn't matter. People with their eyes on the road hit people all the time... when the people are dumb enough, or not paying attention, that walk in front of a moving car.
It matters. You're talking silly too

Silly? No I am talking common sense. Are you allergic to that?

"In 2015, 5,376 pedestrians and 818 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Traffic Safety Facts). These two modes accounted for 17.7 percent of the 35,092 total U.S. fatalities that year. Here are more facts and figures on pedestrian and bicycle crashes:"

Pedestrian & Bicycle Information Center

How many incidents involved people under the influence of drugs, alcohol or smart phones?

IS the Tesla relying on cameras alone??? Radar would have caught that...might not have got fully stopped ...Woman doesn't seem to even flinch...either she wasnt attentive or she did this on a regular basis forcing drivers to cater to her and found one who didnt
Of course she wasn't attentive. Video shows her looking at the touchscreen. Those things shouldn't be looked at while the car is moving.

Are you fucking stupid?
No, but you damn sure are. The driver (a she) may have been able to stop in time, if she was paying attention, as stated in posts # 25, 26, 28.

Playing games on your cell phone toy while you're driving ? Or maybe it's your dash screen ? If so, get the hell off the road, and stay off it.

May have been able to? I already showed you people get hit by cars all the time. The woman walked in front of a moving car.

Your argument in this thread would be like a family complaining to an airline company about the seat belts of a plane that their relative died in a plane crash from 30,000 feet.

IS the Tesla relying on cameras alone??? Radar would have caught that...might not have got fully stopped ...Woman doesn't seem to even flinch...either she wasnt attentive or she did this on a regular basis forcing drivers to cater to her and found one who didnt
Of course she wasn't attentive. Video shows her looking at the touchscreen. Those things shouldn't be looked at while the car is moving.
Pedestrian never flinched

Are you fucking stupid?

People getting hit by a car because of a person on their cell phone doesn't compare. Why? Because they aren't in a self-driving car.

May have been able to? I already showed you people get hit by cars all the time. The woman walked in front of a moving car.

Your argument in this thread would be like a family complaining to an airline company about the seat belts of a plane that their relative died in a plane crash from 30,000 feet.
FALSE (and ridiculous) analogy. The plane passenger has no control over the plane crashing. The car driver HAS control, IF she pays attention.

My point has already been made by me and others, no need to repeat.

And YEAH, may have been able to. That's right.

Last edited:
Usually if I see someone along the side of a secondary road while I’m driving, I will drive toward the other side of the road if there is not another car coming.

Defensive driving entails having an awareness of what nearby pedestrians and vehicles are doing and reacting accordingly.

Are you fucking stupid?

People getting hit by a car because of a person on their cell phone doesn't compare. Why? Because they aren't in a self-driving car.
Self-driving has nothing to do with it. Eyes on or off the road is the thread topic ,and what matters.

Usually if I see someone along the side of a secondary road while I’m driving, I will drive toward the other side of the road if there is not another car coming.

Defensive driving entails having an awareness of what nearby pedestrians and vehicles are doing and reacting accordingly.
Excellent point, and that defensive driving that you, and I, and many drivers do, requires attentiveness to the road, not being distracted.

Forum List

Back