Serious Golfers: A Driver "Situation."

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Like most people, as I have aged, my driver swing speed has slowed with age. There are published charts that list driving distances for a given swing speed, and believe it or not, those charts have always pretty much reflected the distance of my drive. Right now, my swing speed is about 80mph*, and the charts tell me I should expect my drive to go about 205 yards, including both carry and rollout. That is exactly what I get on the course.

Parenthetically, the charts don't mention BALLS, SHAFT FLEX, or SPECIFIC DRIVERS, which begs the question: How can the charts be correct with the infinite variety of clubs, balls, and shafts? Does this mean that if I bought one of those $600 drivers it wouldn't significantly increase my length?????? By the way, my personal PGA Pro tells me that I should be using a "REGULAR" shaft.

In any event, to get to the point...

My wife has a swing speed of 65mph, and her drives don't go anywhere near as far as the charts indicate they should (about 170 yards). She hits it about 125 yards, right down the middle every time.

What could explain this discrepancy?

(Getting a new driver will be a bit of a "task." She is short in stature and Left Handed, so it won't be an off-the-shelf club).

Like most people, as I have aged, my driver swing speed has slowed with age. There are published charts that list driving distances for a given swing speed, and believe it or not, those charts have always pretty much reflected the distance of my drive. Right now, my swing speed is about 80mph*, and the charts tell me I should expect my drive to go about 205 yards, including both carry and rollout. That is exactly what I get on the course.

Parenthetically, the charts don't mention BALLS, SHAFT FLEX, or SPECIFIC DRIVERS, which begs the question: How can the charts be correct with the infinite variety of clubs, balls, and shafts? Does this mean that if I bought one of those $600 drivers it wouldn't significantly increase my length?????? By the way, my personal PGA Pro tells me that I should be using a "REGULAR" shaft.

My wife has a swing speed of 65mph, and her drives don't go anywhere near as far as the charts indicate they should (about 170 yards). She hits it about 125 yards, right down the middle every time.

(Getting a new driver will be a bit of a "task." She is short in stature and Left Handed, so it won't be an off-the-shelf club).

Basically 3 things affect distance: clubhead speed, missing the middle of the clubface and slicing or hooking badly. My guess is your contact is pretty good while your wife is probably mishitting the ball.

A driver optimized for your swing might get you 10 more yards with an 80 mph swing speed. For a comparison when I went to an Epic driver from my old Callaway I picked up 15 yards. My average driver swing speed is 100 mph per Trackman.

If it's for your wife? Because she hit's it so consistently the quickest way to get more distance is increase the length of her driver...the longer it is the bigger her swing arc will be and the faster her club head speed will be. She doesn't need a new driver to accomplish that...just have any club repair person add an extension to the butt end of the club. That will only run you about $20 and the price of whatever you put on for a grip.

Just so everyone knows... If you hit a driver on the "sweet spot" generally speaking you aren't going to get any difference between a five year old driver and a new $600 driver! The manufacturers don't want you to know that but think about it logically! According to USGA rules they can only make a driver face so hot. If it's hotter than that then it's not conforming and isn't legal. The advantage of the newer drivers is the size of the sweet spot. They've made it less penal if you hit an inch out on the toe or the heel. The new drivers WILL give you a better result in that case!

If it's for your wife? Because she hit's it so consistently the quickest way to get more distance is increase the length of her driver...the longer it is the bigger her swing arc will be and the faster her club head speed will be. She doesn't need a new driver to accomplish that...just have any club repair person add an extension to the butt end of the club. That will only run you about $20 and the price of whatever you put on for a grip.
you would be lucky to get 2 mph faster.

Where you can really optimize your driver performance is with the shaft that's in the club. You need to have a shaft that you can "load". If it's too stiff it would be like a pitcher throwing a pitch without snapping their wrist. It will go straight but you'll lose massive amounts of distance. The other major factors are club loft and kick point. Drivers today are designed to be high launch with very little spin. When your pro is checking your swing on his Track Man what he should be looking for is a driver shaft that gives you optimum carry and roll out. You can literally buy something that will help you get more height if you hit a low ball or a more penetrating flight if you tend to balloon the ball. Take advantage.

you would be lucky to get 2 mph faster.
If you choke up on a club an inch you will generally be taking anywhere from 5 to 10 yards off a shot. The reverse is also true. Don't believe me? Look at the driver length of some of the LPGA golfers from South Korea. They are short in stature but use drivers that are longer than standard for more distance off the tee.

• Funny
Reactions: iku
Just so everyone knows... If you hit a driver on the "sweet spot" generally speaking you aren't going to get any difference between a five year old driver and a new $600 driver! The manufacturers don't want you to know that but think about it logically! According to USGA rules they can only make a driver face so hot. If it's hotter than that then it's not conforming and isn't legal. The advantage of the newer drivers is the size of the sweet spot. They've made it less penal if you hit an inch out on the toe or the heel. The new drivers WILL give you a better result in that case!
There have been technology advances in the last 5 years that could definitely increase driver distance regardless of where you hit it on the face. And The right shaft is also a big key, not just flex but kick point, torque etc all factor in.

It's ALL about:

1). Hitting the Center of your Clubface.
2). Geometrically having a Square Face at Impact and NOT 'coming over the top'
3) Swing Speed, but you better have #1 and #2 correct, or swing speed means nothing.

There have been technology advances in the last 5 years that could definitely increase driver distance regardless of where you hit it on the face. And The right shaft is also a big key, not just flex but kick point, torque etc all factor in.
Think about it logically, Mike. If you hit it on the sweet spot the USGA will only allow that club face to be so hot. What club manufacturers do now is make the face hotter than allowable and then use some type of damping material in the head to keep it within allowable limits. The big advances are being made in off center hits. Taylormade's "twist face"...Calloway's variable face thickness...they're all designed to make off center hits cost you less distance and accuracy.

If you choke up on a club an inch you will generally be taking anywhere from 5 to 10 yards off a shot. The reverse is also true. Don't believe me? Look at the driver length of some of the LPGA golfers from South Korea. They are short in stature but use drivers that are longer than standard for more distance off the tee.
Very true, but do older women often do not have the strength to control a longer shaft. I've seen some ladies trying to hit longer shaft drivers and they tend to block everything right.

Very true, but do older women often do not have the strength to control a longer shaft. I've seen some ladies trying to hit longer shaft drivers and they tend to block everything right.
He's telling me that his wife hits everything right down middle, Mike. That tells me that she's a good candidate for a longer shaft if she's looking for an increase in distance. It's a simple fix and doesn't cost much because you're not replacing a driver.

It's ALL about:

1). Hitting the Center of your Clubface.
2). Geometrically having a Square Face at Impact and NOT 'coming over the top'
3) Swing Speed, but you better have #1 and #2 correct, or swing speed means nothing.
Golf tomorrow with the Boys.
10am PST.

Hoping to get #1 and #2 correct as often as possible.

I actually work as a Master Club Fitter here in Florida.
You clearly know what you are talking about. I do take issue with a blanket statement that a 5 year old driver struck perfectly will go just as far as a 2024 premium driver. It's not just the AI technology in the face, there are head shape changes, weighting changes etc also correct? For instance if I setup my 2019 Epic driver on an "Iron Byron" and compared to a 2024 AI Smoke driver and compare 10 perfect strikes with each, I would bet a large sum of money on the AI Smoke going farther.

Is she using a 17 degree driver?
This, and womens "balls" don't go as far. Ping drivers do hit the ball farther. I have a Calloaway Epic. and when I've used the Ping from friends I do hit the ball farther. Prov1x go about the farthest
You get what you pay for.
I'm 75 and I drive about 220 if this is any help

• Fact
Reactions: iku

Forum List

Back