Serious Golfers: A Driver "Situation."

Like most people, as I have aged, my driver swing speed has slowed with age. There are published charts that list driving distances for a given swing speed, and believe it or not, those charts have always pretty much reflected the distance of my drive. Right now, my swing speed is about 80mph*, and the charts tell me I should expect my drive to go about 205 yards, including both carry and rollout. That is exactly what I get on the course.

Parenthetically, the charts don't mention BALLS, SHAFT FLEX, or SPECIFIC DRIVERS, which begs the question: How can the charts be correct with the infinite variety of clubs, balls, and shafts? Does this mean that if I bought one of those $600 drivers it wouldn't significantly increase my length?????? By the way, my personal PGA Pro tells me that I should be using a "REGULAR" shaft.

In any event, to get to the point...

My wife has a swing speed of 65mph, and her drives don't go anywhere near as far as the charts indicate they should (about 170 yards). She hits it about 125 yards, right down the middle every time.

What could explain this discrepancy?

(Getting a new driver will be a bit of a "task." She is short in stature and Left Handed, so it won't be an off-the-shelf club).

This, and womens "balls" don't go as far. Ping drivers do hit the ball farther. I have a Calloaway Epic. and when I've used the Ping from friends I do hit the ball farther. Prov1x go about the farthest
You get what you pay for.
I'm 75 and I drive about 220 if this is any help
I don't play anymore. I tore both rotator cuffs in 1990 and had surgery and rehab and I have never been the same.
Tore my left 2 more times as well and the final time they could not do surgery and I have limited movement.
I still have my 1965 Ben Hogan's though.

I don't play anymore. I tore both rotator cuffs in 1990 and had surgery and rehab and I have never been the same.
Tore my left 2 more times as well and the final time they could not do surgery and I have limited movement.
I still have my 1965 Ben Hogan's though.
Brett Metcalf at TOSH in Murray, utah is the best. Operates out of the same office as Rosenburg that operated on Tiger Woods.
I bet he can fix ya up

• Thanks
Reactions: iku
Brett Metcalf at TOSH in Murray, utah is the best. Operates out of the same office as Rosenburg that operated on Tiger Woods.
I bet he can fix ya up
Sometimes nothing can be done. If he's had that many torn rotator cuffs, there is probably nothing more they can do for him. If right handed, the left shoulder is the worse of the two to get an injury for golf purposes. I've had shoulder issues for decades which for periods of time completely prevent me from swinging a club. Ortho MRI'd it and said there was nothing wrong, Yeah right.

You clearly know what you are talking about. I do take issue with a blanket statement that a 5 year old driver struck perfectly will go just as far as a 2024 premium driver. It's not just the AI technology in the face, there are head shape changes, weighting changes etc also correct? For instance if I setup my 2019 Epic driver on an "Iron Byron" and compared to a 2024 AI Smoke driver and compare 10 perfect strikes with each, I would bet a large sum of money on the AI Smoke going farther.
Hitting it on the sweet spot? You might get a few yards, Mike but that's about it. I play the Taylormade M4 head. Have for quite some time. I hit all the latest and greatest when they come out but i still have the older club in the bag. Dustin Johnson keeps going back to the M5 head. He likes it better than Taylormade's Sim, Sim 2, Stealth and Stealth 2. I've switched out shafts but not the head. The manufacturers want us all to THINK that we're going to get another 15 yards with their new stuff but that's only going to happen if you've gone to a new flex or a kick point that brings down your spin rate by a bunch.

This, and womens "balls" don't go as far. Ping drivers do hit the ball farther. I have a Calloaway Epic. and when I've used the Ping from friends I do hit the ball farther. Prov1x go about the farthest
You get what you pay for.
I'm 75 and I drive about 220 if this is any help
I beg to differ. If you want distance in a Titleist...the ball that gives you that is the Velocity. About $30 a dozen instead of $55 for the Pro V's. You can't spin them because of the cover (Isomer instead of Urethane) but they go straighter and they go further.

Hitting it on the sweet spot? You might get a few yards, Mike but that's about it. I play the Taylormade M4 head. Have for quite some time. I hit all the latest and greatest when they come out but i still have the older club in the bag. Dustin Johnson keeps going back to the M5 head. He likes it better than Taylormade's Sim, Sim 2, Stealth and Stealth 2. I've switched out shafts but not the head. The manufacturers want us all to THINK that we're going to get another 15 yards with their new stuff but that's only going to happen if you've gone to a new flex or a kick point that brings down your spin rate by a bunch.
That's good to know. My driver is 5 years old but I still like it but if I ever crack it with my massive club head speed (LOL) I'll check out the M4/M5. I've actually been thinking about a mini Driver to fill the big gap between my 3 wood and driver. Does anyone even make a 2 wood other than some off brand?

That's good to know. My driver is 5 years old but I still like it but if I ever crack it with my massive club head speed (LOL) I'll check out the M4/M5. I've actually been thinking about a mini Driver to fill the big gap between my 3 wood and driver. Does anyone even make a 2 wood other than some off brand?
The M4 is such a good design that Taylormade just reissued it this past year, Mike. You can pick up a brand new club for $300 bucks.

I haven't seen a 2 wood in quite some time. Then again with adjustable drivers you can add up to 2 degrees of loft to most of them so you can turn your 10.5 into a 12.5 which is essentially a 2 wood.

Forum List

Back