Donovan appreciation thread

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I have always liked Donovan, and whenever I mention him with pretty much anyone... it's all too often met with "Donovan who??"
Donovan is like The Hollies. Too many people never heard of him, but know many of his songs.
Probably my all time favorite, and re-recorded by other artist many times is Season of the Witch.

And then after that Hurdy Gurdy Man

Also... Sunshine Superman

Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Jeff Beck, John Lennon, Beatles... you can go on and on with all of the artists who lists Donovan as an influence and used chord combinations and picking styles he developed in their songs.

I even like his occasional pieces.

People I spoke to in St Albans UK remember him in the folk clubs and busking in the area as a young man. He's the real deal.

Hurdy Gurdy Man has my vote.
You listen to Hurdy Gurdy with a good sound system it is mind blowing.
I had a pair of Jensen Triaxles in my first car, that I might not have paid for... heh... anyway this song was playing on the radio and I freaking loved it. This was 1981, no internet. Took me awhile to learn what was the song I heard and who it was by.
I bought the cassette and played it, then discovered the rest of the album. It was hard to imagine then that he was not really playing anymore at the time.

You listen to Hurdy Gurdy with a good sound system it is mind blowing.
I had a pair of Jensen Triaxles in my first car, that I might not have paid for... heh... anyway this song was playing on the radio and I freaking loved it. This was 1981, no internet. Took me awhile to learn what was the song I heard and who it was by.
I bought the cassette and played it, then discovered the rest of the album. It was hard to imagine then that he was not really playing anymore at the time.

True, I had a good system in the 70s 80s.

He had a handle on life that was earthy...and penetrating...

Greg

He indeed was the real deal. And it cost him.
By the 80s, "hippie shit" wasn't appreciated anymore. Folky music wasn't either.
Donovan refused to change, and had no interest in recording anything else. And he faded fast.

By the 80s, "hippie shit" wasn't appreciated anymore. Folky music wasn't either.
Donovan refused to change, and had no interest in recording anything else. And he faded fast.
I liked his hippy shit but REALLY liked his folk stuff. Fortunately we had his records. This is one I really liked as well.

Greg

"on the quilted battlefield of soldiers, dazzling, made of toy tin. the big bomb like a childs hand could sweep them dead, just so to win
as you polish off your guns your real self be reflected
your thought they are of harlequin, your speeches of quicksilver"

He was very popular in our home for 15 years which isn't a bad run. Then off to uni and life but he was always there. As a folky I guess I didn't stop encountering his music on records. As music became more shallow those pools remained as a reminder.

Greg

"on the quilted battlefield of soldiers, dazzling, made of toy tin. the big bomb like a childs hand could sweep them dead, just so to win
as you polish off your guns your real self be reflected
your thought they are of harlequin, your speeches of quicksilver"

He was very popular in our home for 15 years which isn't a bad run. Then off to uni and life but he was always there. As a folky I guess I didn't stop encountering his music on records. As music became more shallow those pools remained as a reminder.

Greg

Reminds me of this song, most men die for other men in power to profit.

Forum List

Back