Eagles Concert - Personal Review

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

I may have been the only Boomer in the U.S. who had not seen the Eagles live. I corrected that oversight last night, in Pittsburgh's PPG Paints Arena. The schedule called for Don Fagen/Steely Dan to play up front, but Fagen is not well, and it didn't go as planned.

For the past 6 years or so, Vince Gill has been replacing Glenn Frey as the main/lead singer of the Eagles, and since he was available and willing, he performed in place of Steely Dan to start the event. He apologized in advance for not being Steely Dan, and he prophetically announced, "If you are not a country music fan, this may be the longest hour of your life." He was pretty much on the money. I, for one, had never heard any of the songs and although everyone on stage was undoubtedly talented, they did nothing for me. In the next-to-last song, he showcased one of his backup singers, who sang a stylized version of The Ode to Billy Joe, and she did an excellent job of it. The audience gave him what is often called, "polite applause," and he dutifully said at one point, "We are doing the best we can." One guitarist flew in from Ireland for the gig. Good for him.

With the Eagles, one expects near perfection, and they did not disappoint. Two solid hours of the hits that all seventeen thousand of us knew by heart, with audience participation at a high level. Joe Walsh sang three of his own hits and was a clear crowd favorite, with a few fat chicks screeching, "We LOVE you Joe!" throughout the performance. Don Henley never skipped a beat, but age is affecting his voice and he is starting to sound like a resident of Munchkin Land.

Vince Gill is about as good as Frey ever was, and none of his songs disappointed. He even did Randy Meisner's Take It to the Limit in fine form. Deacon Frey filled in on a few songs and he was much better than I had heard on recordings made shortly after Glenn's demise.

I hope this really is their final tour. While they can still Bring It, they are looking seriously decrepit. Walsh and Schmidt could work in a Halloween Fright House without makeup. If Walsh was not under the influence of controlled substances, he did a good imitation of it.

I can remember as a child, seeing my parents enjoy watching the musical stars of their youth (e.g., Guy Lombardo). The performers were in their 60's at the time and I thought it was pathetic that they were still culturally living in the past.

Now I understand. But it is pathetic that so many of us Boomers still claim that no good music has been produced since 1980. It is a conceit that has little basis in reality.

If Walsh was not under the influence of controlled substances, he did a good imitation of it.
He's a goofy kind of guy and has been in AA for about 3-4 decades. Also an incredible guitar player. Seeing them tomorrow night in Cleveland.

Nice review, thanks.

But it is pathetic that so many of us Boomers still claim that no good music has been produced since 1980. It is a conceit that has little basis in reality.

What I find remarkable is how many young kids have an appreciation of 50+ year old Rock and Roll

I may have been the only Boomer in the U.S. who had not seen the Eagles live. I corrected that oversight last night, in Pittsburgh's PPG Paints Arena. The schedule called for Don Fagen/Steely Dan to play up front, but Fagen is not well, and it didn't go as planned.

For the past 6 years or so, Vince Gill has been replacing Glenn Frey as the main/lead singer of the Eagles, and since he was available and willing, he performed in place of Steely Dan to start the event. He apologized in advance for not being Steely Dan, and he prophetically announced, "If you are not a country music fan, this may be the longest hour of your life." He was pretty much on the money. I, for one, had never heard any of the songs and although everyone on stage was undoubtedly talented, they did nothing for me. In the next-to-last song, he showcased one of his backup singers, who sang a stylized version of The Ode to Billy Joe, and she did an excellent job of it. The audience gave him what is often called, "polite applause," and he dutifully said at one point, "We are doing the best we can." One guitarist flew in from Ireland for the gig. Good for him.

With the Eagles, one expects near perfection, and they did not disappoint. Two solid hours of the hits that all seventeen thousand of us knew by heart, with audience participation at a high level. Joe Walsh sang three of his own hits and was a clear crowd favorite, with a few fat chicks screeching, "We LOVE you Joe!" throughout the performance. Don Henley never skipped a beat, but age is affecting his voice and he is starting to sound like a resident of Munchkin Land.

Vince Gill is about as good as Frey ever was, and none of his songs disappointed. He even did Randy Meisner's Take It to the Limit in fine form. Deacon Frey filled in on a few songs and he was much better than I had heard on recordings made shortly after Glenn's demise.

I hope this really is their final tour. While they can still Bring It, they are looking seriously decrepit. Walsh and Schmidt could work in a Halloween Fright House without makeup. If Walsh was not under the influence of controlled substances, he did a good imitation of it.

I can remember as a child, seeing my parents enjoy watching the musical stars of their youth (e.g., Guy Lombardo). The performers were in their 60's at the time and I thought it was pathetic that they were still culturally living in the past.

Now I understand. But it is pathetic that so many of us Boomers still claim that no good music has been produced since 1980. It is a conceit that has little basis in reality.
Good report. Not surprising, The Eagles performed studio quality work on their hits. It was like that on the Hell Freezes Over Tour when they first got back together, an amazingly good show, down to the note.
I can take or leave country music, but not a surprised, the reception, when they bought tickets with Steely Dan as the front group and got Vince Gill, a great, but not Steely Dan, though I have been to a Steely Dan concert and the one I attended would be a mix approval.

the Hell Freezes Over Tour in 95 was awesome

The Hell Freezes Over show was recorded and presented as a special on HBO. It was incredible, and I have no doubt that seeing it live would have been gooder.

TANGENT: Is there an African American counterpart to the Eagles? A group where all the main players can not only sing, but are better than passable on at least one musical instrument...and have stood the test of time.

I can't think of any group that is remotely comparable. The longstanding Black groups - the Temptations, Four Tops, etc. - are made up of vocalists who play no instrument.

He's a goofy kind of guy and has been in AA for about 3-4 decades. Also an incredible guitar player. Seeing them tomorrow night in Cleveland.

Nice review, thanks.

And he does "Life's Been Good", too.

That's all he really needed to do.

And he does "Life's Been Good", too.

That's all he really needed to do.

Great tune!! He performed it in Cleveland, too. I saw him at a local high school (St. Joe's) back in 1970 with the James Gang before they made it nationally. Joe Walsh grew up in greater Cleveland somewhere and spent a whole lot of time at Kent State way back when. Love the guy!

I listen to alternative rock with new artist, I started in the latter ninties because I was burned out on the seventies and eighties rock.

They still sound good then ???
They still sound like the EAgles

Can they replace the voice of Glen FREY

Forum List

Back