Does this frustrate all NFL fans when they watch a NFL game?

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
The slimy refs who wait to see if a certain receiver catches a pass and if he doesn't then the ref will throw a flag so the drive can stay alive. I know every NFL fan has had this bogus call hurt their team chances to win a game and that's my main criticism of watching a NFL game. And it really pisses me off when my team's defense is on a 3rd and 14 and has to stay on the field because the ref wants the drive to stay alive

Is this what frustrates all NFL fans the most?

It's not just a defensive holding thing. It happens all over the field. Flags being tossed right at or actually after the end of a play for things that happened much earlier in the play. Offensive and Defensive Holding seem to be the biggest ones, but you'll occasionally see it for other things too.

It's going to be WORSE this year with the new "emphasis" on Defensive Backs use of hands and excessive "contact".

The slimy refs who wait to see if a certain receiver catches a pass and if he doesn't then the ref will throw a flag so the drive can stay alive. I know every NFL fan has had this bogus call hurt their team chances to win a game and that's my main criticism of watching a NFL game. And it really pisses me off when my team's defense is on a 3rd and 14 and has to stay on the field because the ref wants the drive to stay alive

Whining about the refs is the last vestige of a loser

Why do the calls ALWAYS go against us?

Whining about the refs is the last vestige of a loser

Why do the calls ALWAYS go against us?

I strongly believe the refs are members of the mafia. They have to be with all the stuff that goes on

I've never actually seen this happen during a game. Sorry.

Well that means you never watched a NFL game

I watched my first NFL on TV back in 1964. It was the NFL Championship Game between the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Colts. The Browns stunned the Colts, 27-0.

I am quite sure I have watched MANY more NFL games than you have, Bunky.

What "frustrates" me is when fair-weather Seahawk "fans" attempt to defend and legitimize the RIDICULOUS end zone call made by a "replacement" official, that went against the Green Bay Packers.

Now quit whining about the refs cheating your favorite team (whoever that is), man up, and save your allowance so you can stock up on chicken wings and non-alcoholic beer.

Well that means you never watched a NFL game

I watched my first NFL on TV back in 1964. It was the NFL Championship Game between the Cleveland Browns and the Baltimore Colts. The Browns stunned the Colts, 27-0.

I am quite sure I have watched MANY more NFL games than you have, Bunky.

What "frustrates" me is when fair-weather Seahawk "fans" attempt to defend and legitimize the RIDICULOUS end zone call made by a "replacement" official, that went against the Green Bay Packers.

Now quit whining about the refs cheating your favorite team (whoever that is), man up, and save your allowance so you can stock up on chicken wings and non-alcoholic beer.

Its actually wings, and pizza

Does this frustrate all NFL fans when they watch a NFL game?

I hate it when the flag gets thrown and the bean bag part of it bonks the defensive guy on the head and he gets a concussion... THEN gets another flag for delay of the game cuz he is so dissoriented that he can't find a sideline..

wonder has there ever been a NFL game where no flags were thrown

wonder has there ever been a NFL game where no flags were thrown

"No penalties were assessed in these four NFL games.

Interesting two of them included the same referee. Oct. 28, 1934 – Brooklyn Dodgers 21, Pittsburgh Pirates 3 (at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn). Perhaps the wintry-like conditions played a role in why referee Tom Thorp never dropped a flag. The Dodgers cruised through the afternoon and snapped a three-game losing streak thanks in part to Jack Grossman’s 75-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter.

Sept. 27, 1936 – Boston Redskins 14, Brooklyn Dodgers 3 (at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn). The Redskins used a dynamic passing game and also got help from Hall of Famer Cliff Battles who scored the contest’s first points on a 68-yard touchdown run to earn a road victory. On record as the referee for the game was William Halloran who headed the four-man officiating crew.

Oct. 9, 1938 – Cleveland Rams 14, Chicago Bears 7 (at Cleveland Stadium). The Rams upset the Bears and handed Chicago its first loss of season. Chicago was the last of the unbeaten teams in the NFL that season. The deciding touchdown came on a fumble recovery on a punt and returned 23 yards by Carl Littlefield for the score. Ed Cochrane was the referee of this crew that also included umpire Bobbie Karch, Linesman George Brown and field judge J.J. Ritter.

Nov. 10, 1940 – Pittsburgh 7 vs. Philadelphia 3 (at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh) Perhaps referee William Halloran was sparing the sparse crowd at Forbes Field by not calling any penalties during this day.The Steelers and Eagles entered the game with a combined one win among them and the Steelers crowd included 3,000 children admitted for free. The two teams trudged back-and-forth in rainy conditions and the only touchdown of the day came courtesy of third-string halfback Coley McDonough."

History Story » Fact or Fiction? There's never been a NFL game without any penalties

The slimy refs who wait to see if a certain receiver catches a pass and if he doesn't then the ref will throw a flag so the drive can stay alive.
And it really pisses me off when my team's defense is on a 3rd and 14 and has to stay on the field because the ref wants the drive to stay alive
That's impossible.

That would mean that NFL games are rigged and we know that only Boxing is rigged.

I've seen it. But what really annoys me is how they treat certain QBs. If you even breath on em you get a whistle. And the refs will let these certain QBs talk em into throwing a flag.

The reason I stopped watching football was because if a person breathed on the QB too hard, he might get a flag.

Don't hit him in the back, don't hit him above the shoulder pads, don't hit him below the knees, don't hit him in the groin, In other words, spin the QB around, if you are behind him and then make sure you hit him in the numbers.

JEEZZ. I miss the days when men played football instead of whiney little QB's

The reason I stopped watching football was because if a person breathed on the QB too hard, he might get a flag.

Don't hit him in the back, don't hit him above the shoulder pads, don't hit him below the knees, don't hit him in the groin, In other words, spin the QB around, if you are behind him and then make sure you hit him in the numbers.

JEEZZ. I miss the days when men played football instead of whiney little QB's

A flag will always kill a team's momentum which is why I believe the refs do it on purpose

I've actually seen it happen in at least two Super Bowls.

If my team is on defense and on 3rd and 15 and the pass is incomplete, I am so scared to look at the TV screen because I always feel it would be a flag:badgrin:

That's why you should get the ref report early in the week, to find out which ones will be calling the games.

Once you find out who's calling which games, you can then break it down even further and find out the calls the individual refs have penchants for calling.

How many defensive pass interference calls has he made this season?

How many offensive holding calls has he made?

How many offensive pass interference calls?

Knowing that will help you to digest some of the antics of the zebs every week, as you'll have better ideas of what to expect. :thup:

Referees in ALL sports have a very tough job, and the vast majority of the referees take a lot of pride in what they do, and do not favor one team or one player over another.

Hell, Little League baseball games can be difficult to umpire. I umpired and coached for many years. Both are difficult to do, not because of the players, but because of the PARENTS.

Forum List

Back