Does Sitting Up While On A Ventilator Seem Correct ?

Monk-Eye

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
" Does Sitting Up While On A Ventilator Seem Correct ?"

* Atypical Behavior *

While actually not having been on a ventilator for Covid-19 disease , is it peculiar to anyone else that individuals on ventilators are set in an inclined upright position ?

When having had a cold or a flu , a basic tactic for me in trying to keep it out of my lungs or to clear my lungs is to put a pillow under my rib cage to keep my head pointed down and let gravity work .

Sleeping in such a manner and occasionally flipping over is less comfortable and makes for restless sleep , but at least one lung is somewhat clear when waking up to clear the other lung that has become filled .

It is not uncommon for me to get up and set my entire upper body pointing down and forcibly cough as much phlegm out as possible rather then waiting for nature to clean it up .

The sheer strain of coughing causes me abdominal cramps , thus it is puzzling how an elderly individual would be able to keep up trying to expel fluids against gravity .

If a patient is setting in an inclined upright position , although they may be " comfortable " , how is that helping when their lungs are being flooded ?

Perhaps there is a reason they they are not , but should beds of Cov-19 disease patients on ventilators be set on an incline with their upper body lower than the rest of their body ?

Last edited:
" Does Setting Up While On A Ventilator Seem Correct ?"

* Atypical Behavior *

While actually not having been on a ventilator for Covid-19 disease , is it peculiar to anyone else that individuals on ventilators are set in an inclined upright position ?

When having had a cold or a flu , a basic tactic for me in trying to keep it out of my lungs or to clear my lungs is to put a pillow under my rib cage to keep my head pointed down and let gravity work .

Sleeping in such a manner is less comfortable , but at least one lung is somewhat clear though waking up to clear the other lung and flipping over makes for restless sleep .

It is not uncommon for me to get up and set my entire upper body pointing down and forcibly cough as much phlem out as possible rather then waiting for nature to clean it up .

If a patient is setting in an inclined upright position , although they may be " comfortable " , how is that helping when their lungs are being flooded ?

Perhaps there is a reason they they are not , but should beds of Cov-19 disease patients on ventilators be set on an incline with their upper body lower than the rest of their body ?

"setting up" is the establishment or creation of something. Are you sure you don't mean, "sitting up?"

" Patient Figurines "

* Poised To Fail *

"setting up" is the establishment or creation of something. Are you sure you don't mean, "sitting up?"
Sitting up would be more correct , but they look set up to me .

Last edited:

* Atypical Behavior *

Sleeping in such a manner and occasionally flipping over is less comfortable and makes for restless sleep , but at least one lung is somewhat clear when waking up to clear the other lung that has become filled .

It is not uncommon for me to get up and set my entire upper body pointing down and forcibly cough as much phlegm out as possible rather then waiting for nature to clean it up .

The sheer strain of coughing causes me abdominal cramps , thus it is puzzling how an elderly individual would be able to keep up trying to expel fluids against gravity .

Yes, sitting up does make sense. Don't know if you've ever watched somebody in a hospital bed with lung congestion but lying down is not conducive to ridding oneself of that congestion. Basically it sits at the back of the lungs instead of dropping to the bottom as they're designed.

* Atypical Behavior *

It's easier to breathe sitting up.

Don't know if you've ever watched somebody in a hospital bed with lung congestion but lying down is not conducive to ridding oneself of that congestion.
yup, they actually don't want to lie down......

~S~

I have read that COVID patients on vents set at the highest oxygen setting are still air starved. Sitting upright helps alleviate that somewhat.

" Demanding That Those Least Able Work Against Gravity "

* Expectoration Takes Considerable Effort *

Basically it sits at the back of the lungs instead of dropping to the bottom as they're designed.
Maybe they should not be on their backs but lay face down with their head pointed down ; maybe they need massage therapy tables more than medical beds .

The last it seemed to me , it was easy to fill up a pitcher of water when it was setting upright but much more difficult to fill it up when it is tilted down .

If one goes to sleep while their lungs filling up , they can try to pump in as much air as they like with a respirator , none is going in .

Perhaps apply methamphetamine to keep them awake for three days to a week so that they do not slip off to sleep and drown or collapse due to exhaustion from coughing .

Last edited:
" Diverting Flood Wall "

* Actively Drowning Their Patients *

When I have a bad cough, I sleep better sitting up
How much active coughing occurs to clear the lungs when sleeping and where is the fluid expected to go if coughing does not occur ?

The tool discovered several surprising indicators that were most strongly predictive of who went on to develop so-called acute respiratory disease syndrome (ARDS), a severe complication of the COVID-19 illness that fills the lungs with fluid and kills around 50 percent of coronavirus patients who get it.

* Atypical Behavior *

When one is intubated there is no way to expel what is in the lungs

* Atypical Behavior *

When one is intubated there is no way to expel what is in the lungs

the patient is suctioned frequently.

" Expectorant Going Nowhere "

* Good Luck With Keeping Up With That *

the patient is suctioned frequently.
Has any tried placing a patient face down on an inclined massage therapy table with an oxygen mask and possibly a dentists vacuum to drain and allow the patient to cough out the fluids themselves , or would it undermine the intelligence of practitioners to try something new ?

Add an Iron lung - Wikipedia if need be , but get the fluid out .

Clinicians must weigh the impact of potential mucosal injury or other problems at a high vacuum level, or using repeated suction passes when a lower vacuum pressure is utilized.2 It is now generally recommended to use the lowest vacuum pressure to avoid the incidence or degree of hypoxia, atelectasis, and tracheal mucosa injury .
If a suction catheter is too large for the ETT, and/or there is too much vacuum pressure, massive atelectasis may occur.
During open endotracheal suctioning (OES), the patient is temporarily removed from the ventilator to breathe freely, or manually ventilated, while ETS is performed.1,2 Some studies have shown that there is more secretion removal with OES.2,3

Conversely, with closed system suctioning (CSS), the patient remains attached to the ventilator, or their supplemental breathing device, and a reusable inline (enclosed) catheter is used for ETS.1-3 Remaining connected to the ventilator helps prevent both the loss of positive end expiratory pressure (PEEP) and the loss of lung volume.3 One bench test study of CSS showed that the high inspiratory flow from the mechanical ventilator pushes the secretions away from the suction catheter and further into the lungs.2,3.
<< ON AND ON >>

When someone has an infection, I’m used to seeing the normal colors you’d associate with it: greens and yellows. The coronavirus patients with ARDS have been having a lot of secretions that are actually pink because they’re filled with blood cells that are leaking into their airways. They are essentially drowning in their own blood and fluids because their lungs are so full. So we’re constantly having to suction out the secretions every time we go into their rooms.

The ventilator should have been doing the work of breathing but he was still gasping for air, moving his mouth, moving his body, struggling. We had to restrain him. With all the coronavirus patients, we’ve had to restrain them. They really hyperventilate, really struggle to breathe. When you’re in that mindstate of struggling to breathe and delirious with fever, you don’t know when someone is trying to help you, so you’ll try to rip the breathing tube out because you feel it is choking you, but you are drowning.

Forum List

Back