Does a person need to be liberal to enjoy science fiction and believe humanity is destined for a future in space?

screenshot_301.png

And by sci fi I don't mean Star Wars or Star Trek. I mean masterpieces like these!
489336569.jpg

43462058._SX318_.jpg

5b4fc4ddb2739.image.jpg

A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep.bookcover.jpg

22747321.jpg
Definitely NOT, to answer your thread title question. I'm about as conservative and patriotic as they come and I LOVE the science fiction genre. I AM more of a fan of writers like Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, who didn't write "hard" science fiction. In fact, Harlan Ellison hated it when people referred to him as a science fiction writer. He called science fiction "Sciffy", and preferred that his writing be referred to as "speculative fiction". Harlan was quite a character and I had the great fortune of meeting him twice at book signings/lectures when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona. And he was quite generous in signing items. I have about 7 or 8 items signed by him, including the highly collectible and rare CD of Harlan reading his wonderful story, Paladin of the Lost Hour. Having recounted all this, I HAVE enjoyed several "hard" science fiction novels, as well. Especially Lucifer's Hammer, which was written in collaboration by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
"Lucifer's Hammer" is a damn good story. Another good Niven/Pournelle collaboration is "Oath of Fealty".
Thanks for the info on "Oath of Fealty". I'll check it out.
Also by the pair: "The Mote in God's Eye". They write so well together.
Thanks, again. I BELIEVE I either used to or still currently own a copy of "The Mote in God's Eye". I may have started reading it but put it aside. This had to be probably over 30 years ago. I most likely wasn't ready for that type of "hard" science fiction just yet. I probably WILL give it another shot.
It's a great first contact story, and yes, it is hard science fiction. The Moties are fascinating.

Comic book plots without the comics. I doubt if it will catch on with the current crop of liberal kids who live in their parent's basement and spend their time playing video games.

And by sci fi I don't mean Star Wars or Star Trek. I mean masterpieces like these!
489336569.jpg

43462058._SX318_.jpg

5b4fc4ddb2739.image.jpg

A_Fire_Upon_the_Deep.bookcover.jpg

22747321.jpg
Definitely NOT, to answer your thread title question. I'm about as conservative and patriotic as they come and I LOVE the science fiction genre. I AM more of a fan of writers like Ray Bradbury and Harlan Ellison, who didn't write "hard" science fiction. In fact, Harlan Ellison hated it when people referred to him as a science fiction writer. He called science fiction "Sciffy", and preferred that his writing be referred to as "speculative fiction". Harlan was quite a character and I had the great fortune of meeting him twice at book signings/lectures when I lived in Phoenix, Arizona. And he was quite generous in signing items. I have about 7 or 8 items signed by him, including the highly collectible and rare CD of Harlan reading his wonderful story, Paladin of the Lost Hour. Having recounted all this, I HAVE enjoyed several "hard" science fiction novels, as well. Especially Lucifer's Hammer, which was written in collaboration by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
"Lucifer's Hammer" is a damn good story. Another good Niven/Pournelle collaboration is "Oath of Fealty".
Thanks for the info on "Oath of Fealty". I'll check it out.
Also by the pair: "The Mote in God's Eye". They write so well together.
Thanks, again. I BELIEVE I either used to or still currently own a copy of "The Mote in God's Eye". I may have started reading it but put it aside. This had to be probably over 30 years ago. I most likely wasn't ready for that type of "hard" science fiction just yet. I probably WILL give it another shot.
It's a great first contact story, and yes, it is hard science fiction. The Moties are fascinating.
Thanks!

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Ringworld series By Larry Niven

Anything by Asimov (especially Foundation and Robot series')

Chronicles of Solace series by Rodger MacBride Allen

Timescape by Gregory Benford

Incarnations of Immortality series by Peirs Anthony

Anything by Arthur C Clarke

Man-Kzin War series!!

If anybody's looking for quality new and used books, I suggest Thriftbooks.
Thanks, Dave.
No problem! Also, if you have some titles you don't want anymore, you can trade them at Paperback Swap.
You're welcome. And thanks for the Paperback Swap link, as well.
:D We've gotten a lot of books from them. Swap also has a sister site, DVD Swap, for...you guessed it!...DVDs.

Forum List

Back