Do You Understand the Electoral College?

the problem wh the EC is that in today's world the prez election revolves around like 5 states .
and what happens in the other states is that the majority vote wins. nothing different.

You obviously didn't even bother to watch the video, you just started spewing your ignorance.
Rebut her points.

Nope. She didn't have a point, and I'm not wasting my tiime.

There is no good reason to make someone president when the people clearly wanted someone else.
Remain an ignorant dumbass, I really do not care.

The last thing the founding fathers wanted was equal representation and democracy, just like you.
Says dufus who claims corporations imprison innocent Americans.

Hell, the senate was appointed by the aristocracy and only land holding affluent white males got to vote. Just like you guys want.
I hear Syria has a lot of job openings.

Wise of you for once, not to engage on that.
or what?

Yes, I understand the Electorial College very well. It's because I paid attention in high school government class.

" A very small group can hold a state hostage- Yes, I'm looking at you, Cuban Americans in Florida."

Overt racism.

No, an observation of how pandering to a small group can lead to really stupid policy.
like blacks, hispanics and youngsters? Those small groups? you know you wear your hypocrisy well. It shows everyday in here.

Before the election it was all about your "Blue Wall", now not so much.
Really?
FL was blue in 12 as was PA NC and OH, WI and MI.
The system worked and it irritates you.

Actually, I'd have the same opinion if the Blue Wall Held and Trump won by a million votes.

This is a shitty way to pick a president.

here's the thing, If HC had gotten 80,000 more votes in WI, 80 more in MI and maybe 80 more in PA, she'd have won this thing, even if trump had gotten a million more in Florida and Texas.

Oh final point, NC wasn't Blue in 2012.

the problem wh the EC is that in today's world the prez election revolves around like 5 states .
Actually certain cities in those states. Most counties in California and New York are RED.

You all do not get the danger of mob rule. You fools tote the bag for the commie left who hate the fact that they cannot control the country.

The electoral college does not allow them to control it. Why? Cause the power is in the states and not concentrated in just a few cities. Which, would be far easier for the commies to control.

You don't get it, cause you cannot see the long term ramifications of mobacracy. Which is what makes you a tool.

Really?

Actually, I'd have the same opinion if the Blue Wall Held and Trump won by a million votes.

here's the thing, If HC had gotten 80,000 more votes in WI, 80 more in MI and maybe 80 more in PA, she'd have won this thing, even if trump had gotten a million more in Florida and Texas.

if ands and buts. wow.

Note everyone who hate the EC are incapable of rebutting any of the points made in the video.

Nobody watched the video, we've got better things to do. (Also, I'm not in a place where I can watch videos right now.)

Tell you what, hit me with your best point- in writing- that she made.
Transcript:
The Founders had no intention of creating a pure majority-rule democracy. They knew from careful study of history what most have forgotten today, or never learned: pure democracies do not work.

They implode.

Democracy has been colorfully described as two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. In a pure democracy, bare majorities can easily tyrannize the rest of a country. The Founders wanted to avoid this at all costs.

This is why we have three branches of government -- Executive, Legislative and Judicial. It's why each state has two Senators no matter what its population, but also different numbers of Representatives based entirely on population. It's why it takes a supermajority in Congress and three-quarters of the states to change the Constitution.

And, it's why we have the Electoral College.

Here's how the Electoral College works.

The Presidential election happens in two phases. The first phase is purely democratic. We hold 51 popular elections every presidential election year: one in each state and one in D.C.

On Election Day in 2012, you may have thought you were voting for Barack Obama or Mitt Romney, but you were really voting for a slate of presidential electors. In Rhode Island, for example, if you voted for Barack Obama, you voted for the state's four Democratic electors; if you voted for Mitt Romney you were really voting for the state's four Republican electors.

Part Two of the election is held in December. And it is this December election among the states' 538 electors, not the November election, which officially determines the identity of the next President. At least 270 votes are needed to win.

Why is this so important?

Because the system encourages coalition-building and national campaigning. In order to win, a candidate must have the support of many different types of voters, from various parts of the country.

Winning only the South or the Midwest is not good enough. You cannot win 270 electoral votes if only one part of the country is supporting you.

But if winning were only about getting the most votes, a candidate might concentrate all of his efforts in the biggest cities or the biggest states. Why would that candidate care about what people in West Virginia or Iowa or Montana think?

But, you might ask, isn't the election really only about the so-called swing states?

Actually, no. If nothing else, safe and swing states are constantly changing.

California voted safely Republican as recently as 1988. Texas used to vote Democrat. Neither New Hampshire nor Virginia used to be swing states.

Most people think that George W. Bush won the 2000 election because of Florida. Well, sort of. But he really won the election because he managed to flip one state which the Democrats thought was safe: West Virginia. Its 4 electoral votes turned out to be decisive.

No political party can ignore any state for too long without suffering the consequences. Every state, and therefore every voter in every state, is important.

The Electoral College also makes it harder to steal elections. Votes must be stolen in the right state in order to change the outcome of the Electoral College. With so many swing states, this is hard to predict and hard to do.

But without the Electoral College, any vote stolen in any precinct in the country could affect the national outcome -- even if that vote was easily stolen in the bluest California precinct or the reddest Texas one.

The Electoral College is an ingenious method of selecting a President for a great, diverse republic such as our own -- it protects against the tyranny of the majority, encourages coalition building and discourages voter fraud. Our Founders were proud of it! We can be too.

Actually certain cities in those states. Most counties in California and New York are RED.

Most counties have no people in them.

You all do not get the danger of mob rule. You fools tote the bag for the commie left who hate the fact that they cannot control the country.

Mob Rule is what we got with Trump, buddy. An angry mob voted for him beause they were mad at the govenrment, not because they thought about the consequences.

The electoral college does not allow them to control it. Why? Cause the power is in the states and not concentrated in just a few cities. Which, would be far easier for the commies to control.

You don't get it, cause you cannot see the long term ramifications of mobacracy. Which is what makes you a tool.

Every other Democracy elects through parliaments or by popular vote. Nobody else does something as crazy as giving an out sized vote to smaller states because 200 years ago, a bunch of guys who crapped in chamber-pots didn't trust each other.

Really?

I sit corrected on NC.
As to the Cuban thing, that's tit for tat.

If I say that Hispanics should come ere legally I'm a racist.
If I say that folks with a penis should pee in the men's room I am a Homophobe, see how that works?

Mob Rule is what we got with Trump, buddy. An angry mob voted for him beause they were mad at the govenrment, not because they thought about the consequences.

Every other Democracy elects through parliaments or by popular vote. Nobody else does something as crazy as giving an out sized vote to smaller states because 200 years ago, a bunch of guys who crapped in chamber-pots didn't trust each other.
where are the angry trump mobs? do you think the mobs last night were trump supporters? really?

If we from the EC to a popular vote to elect a President we would still be a Republic.

Nobody else does something as crazy as giving an out sized vote to smaller states

Outsize?

We already give larger states extra congressmen, should we expand that to the Senate as well?

Might makes Right, and screw the small guy?

America is run by an angry mob now? Have you got your Canadian immigration papers done? I know you lefties are not fleeing to Mexico, too many brown skin folks down there.

Forum List

Back