Do you think you know all about Combat Vets and PTSD?

stinger, I know a little bit about it.....

Though my father would never admit it, he suffered from at least minor effects of PTSD related to his time in Vietnam. Most of my family never noticed them, as they were rare and relatively minor, but he did have them.

My wife deals with severe PTSD issues related to things that happened to her as a teenager (not military related), so I have some idea of what many of these veterans are going through.

Though my father would never admit it, he suffered from at least minor effects of PTSD related to his time in Vietnam. Most of my family never noticed them, as they were rare and relatively minor, but he did have them.

My wife deals with severe PTSD issues related to things that happened to her as a teenager (not military related), so I have some idea of what many of these veterans are going through.
PTSD certainly does not just effect Combat Veterans. Raped men or women, surviving a horrific accident, witnessing a person getting shot etc. It was
unfortunate it took so long to be identified. Some times it described as a sane reaction to the insanity of war or any horrific event.
Here is a link that tells the History of PTSD.

War - PTSD National Center for PTSD
You have good incite into PTSD.

PTSD certainly does not just effect Combat Veterans. Raped men or women, surviving a horrific accident, witnessing a person getting shot etc. It was
unfortunate it took so long to be identified. Some times it described as a sane reaction to the insanity of war or any horrific event.

I'm convinced that my ex suffered from PTSD after years of abuse by her father. For the following 13 years, I was on the receiving end of her illness.

I know lots of ww2 and Korean war vets . Had 3 uncles and Dad in ww2 and I know the korea vets from work and as the DADS of friends and school chums . None suffered any kinda problems or if they did they kept it to themselves as they worked to raise families . I knew one guy , he was a friend named DON , he was known as SNOWFLAKE in the U.P. town of Marquette . He was messed up , story was that he was shell shocked but I don't know . Anyway , he got a pension I suppose . I was maybe 15 and he was in his 50s [about] in the late 60s , he was a very nice guy . He taught me how to hand roll cigarettes . PTSD nowadays , seems like everyone has a problem .

Stimulants might increase vulnerability to PTSD...

Pentagon Study Links Prescription Stimulants to Military PTSD
Nov 19, 2015 | Stimulant medications used to treat attention deficit problems and keep service members alert during long stretches of combat might increase vulnerability to post-traumatic stress disorder, a new study suggests.
Defense Department researchers analyzing data from nearly 26,000 service members found that those with prescriptions for the stimulants were five times more likely to have PTSD. Drugs such as Adderall and Ritalin raise concentrations of the brain chemical norepinephrine, which has been shown to result in more vivid and persistent memories of emotionally charged situations. Traumatic memories are a hallmark of PTSD. "When you take a stimulant, you enhance learning," said Dr. Richard Friedman, a psychiatrist at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York, who was not part of the study. "PTSD is form of learning. Traumatic experiences hijack circuits in the brain."

headhandstable.jpg

In a 2012 column for the New York Times, Friedman wrote that the drugs were compounding the psychological damage of the wars. Studies show that 12% of service members in infantry units during the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq developed PTSD. For the new study, published this month in the Journal of Traumatic Stress, researchers started with 25,971 active-duty troops who screened negative for PTSD and followed them from 2001 to 2008. The subjects are part of the Pentagon's Millennium Cohort Study, which will track the mental health of service members for the next several decades.

Of the 131 service members who were prescribed stimulants over the course of the study, a total of 20 -- or 15% -- also had PTSD. Controlling for a variety of socioeconomic, demographic and health factors, the researchers found that was five times the rate for everybody else. Overall, there were 1,215 cases of PTSD. Those who had been prescribed multiple stimulants and the biggest supplies of the drugs were the most likely to have PTSD. The results did not prove that the drugs caused the disorder. In the majority of cases, the data did not tell researchers whether the prescriptions preceded the onset of PTSD.

MORE

I need to get my VA stuff in order and get in there and get rated
I retired a long time ago but have issues I am sure are tied to my service
Thankfully I am dating a nurse who works at VA and she said she'd help me get the ball rolling
My tricare is great - but I think the VA has more for me

Personally I'd rather donate to a Veterans fund like "Luke's Wings" which flies real wounded Purple Heart Veterans and their families to where they need to go rather than the much hyped other fund which allegedly supports non combat Vets who claim to have been so scared that they should be awarded a pension for PTSD>

Last edited:

I'm convinced that my ex suffered from PTSD after years of abuse by her father. For the following 13 years, I was on the receiving end of her illness.

My wifes was an ex husband.

I have since remarried, and the early years were difficult as she also experienced life with a madman. All is calm now.
Thanks for sharing that btw.

I have since remarried, and the early years were difficult as she also experienced life with a madman. All is calm now.

Yeah...things have been good here for the last twenty some odd years.
Once she got it through her head that I dont use violence as a means of conflict resolution she was good.

Yeah...things have been good here for the last twenty some odd years.
Once she got it through her head that I dont use violence as a means of conflict resolution she was good.
Yup. Same here. We're cool.

There is a Facebook group I follow wherein Vets post their dealings with the VA called "VA is Lying". The Govt is always losing records, accusing vets of missing appoints they waited months for and doing whatever they can to reduce their disability payments.

The thing of it is, if PTSD compensation both public and private was restricted to Purple Heart recipients there wouldn't be a problem. The dirty little secret is that the left, including the Obama administration, wants to portray all Veterans as victims rather than the heroes that they are and a psychological impairment as a result of Military service fits the agenda to a T . Look at the federal requirements regarding PTSD consideration. You didn't even have to hear a gun go off. The fear of impending attack is enough, according to the current administration, to cause the mental health of Veterans to deteriorate. We must be the laughing stock of all the tough Veterans in the rest of the world.

One of my Grandfathers served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam the other also served in WWII. My Father served in Vietnam along with two of his Brothers. One of my cousins served in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I know PTSD when I see it.

I would like to say that I'm the only person in my family who has served but never seen Combat. I'm not a counsellor and I may not know what its like but I will listen with no judgements whats so ever to any Veteran who is having problems.

One of my Grandfathers served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam the other also served in WWII. My Father served in Vietnam along with two of his Brothers. One of my cousins served in both Afghanistan and Iraq. I know PTSD when I see it.

I would like to say that I'm the only person in my family who has served but never seen Combat. I'm not a counsellor and I may not know what its like but I will listen with no judgements whats so ever to any Veteran who is having problems.
Everybody "has problems". The question is how long will the federal government pretend that every Veteran is a potential psychotic.

Im in Public Safety.

I've been on two hangings - gunshot wounds - pediatric cardiac arrest - pediatric respiratory arrest - decapitation - fatal car wrecks - gun shot victims - and countless other bad calls.

Trauma and stress plays hard on the body and mind.

Shadow 355

Im in Public Safety.

I've been on two hangings - gunshot wounds - pediatric cardiac arrest - pediatric respiratory arrest - decapitation - fatal car wrecks - gun shot victims - and countless other bad calls.

Trauma and stress plays hard on the body and mind.

Shadow 355
Welcome to the club Shadow. I retired after 22 years of it. A shocking statistics of retired Cops eat their own guns but trauma is a part of the job and we retire and learn to live with it without whining and begging for a psychological related medical disability or beating our wives and shooting our friends. Civilians don't get to use PTSD as a defense in a felony. Read the freaking federal PTSD guidelines. Veterans of the greatest Military in the world can cite PTSD if they were afraid of being attacked sometime during a year or two of being in harms way without even hearing a shot fired in anger. The radical left found a way to diminish the image of the greatest fighting force on the planet without bombing recruitment centers or spitting on Soldiers and PTSD was made to order

Forum List

Back