Do you support unions?

• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
Golfing Gator! I agree with you! My Dad was AFL-CIO union member and he disliked it. In between college I was a union member and there was so many times stupid union requirements... like the foreman asked me to drill a hole in a piece of metal so he could get it shipped to a customer... It took less then 2 minutes BUT the foreman who knew how to do it had to have me do it...according to union rules! Stupid things like those requirements FORCED American companies to go over seas, i.e. China! Where they don't UNIONs but gulags! I later after college worked as a department supervisor and one day after the shift was over, a trucker needed one more piece to ship... I hopped on the tow motor and loaded it. After getting the shop steward comes around and guess what stupid rule came into place. The company had to pay 2 hours double overtime to a tow motor driver because of what I did! Stupid!

During my time at WalMart I was the Shift Manger (one step down from the Store Manager) of a store undergoing a 4 wall expansion. We rotated 6 months of nights and 6 on days. We had to hire a certain amount of union workers to keep them from picketing in front of the store.

One night while walking through the store I came upon the union guys putting down the faux wood floor for where the shoes would be and they were putting it in the wrong place. I told them to stop as I knew it was wrong. Their team lead argued with me and said they did not answer to me. They kept going. The next morning I got in trouble for speaking directly to the union people and not their liaison. The next night when I came back they were tearing up the floor and putting it down where it belonged.

Why do unions get to speak about politics for their members? Are members all supposed to vote as those who push their support for a political candidate or get fired?
My Florida union had two different dues. If you did not want to contribute to union political activities, you paid a lower amount.

How would they know how you voted?

My Florida union had two different dues. If you did not want to contribute to union political activities, you paid a lower amount.

How would they know how you voted?
Hearsay! Conversations occur and I’m sure people talk. Wearing gear?

Unions are appropriate in the private sector (NEVER in the public sector) when you have certain conditions that operate against workers. Those conditions are, a competitive market for a product or service, and a localized labor surplus.

For example, say you have a downtown area with several office buildings, all of which are competitively bidding the janitorial work, and you have a sky-high unemployment rate locally. The building managers will obviously award the janitorial contracts to the low bidders, who will be paying the lowest possible wage. THOSE WORKERS would be justified in forming a union - not that it would be easy to do - so that they can bargain collectively for their wages, benefits, and working conditions.

But the thing to remember about unions is that the American Worker has rejected them. The private sector unionized workforce is less than ten percent of the total, and that INCLUDES entrenched unions like the SEIU, UAW, Teamsters, USW, and so on. If people really wanted them, there would be more unionized workers.

Clearly, there is a movement afoot now, in places like Starbucks and Amazon, but it remains difficult.

Unions are appropriate in the private sector (NEVER in the public sector) when you have certain conditions that operate against workers. Those conditions are, a competitive market for a product or service, and a localized labor surplus.

For example, say you have a downtown area with several office buildings, all of which are competitively bidding the janitorial work, and you have a sky-high unemployment rate locally. The building managers will obviously award the janitorial contracts to the low bidders, who will be paying the lowest possible wage. THOSE WORKERS would be justified in forming a union - not that it would be easy to do - so that they can bargain collectively for their wages, benefits, and working conditions.

But the thing to remember about unions is that the American Worker has rejected them. The private sector unionized workforce is less than ten percent of the total, and that INCLUDES entrenched unions like the SEIU, UAW, Teamsters, USW, and so on. If people really wanted them, there would be more unionized workers.

Clearly, there is a movement afoot now, in places like Starbucks and Amazon, but it remains difficult.
Workers have figured out union dues are irrelevant

That would be illegal, and even up here in MA does not happen. Just because someone has to join the union to get a job doesn't mean they will roll over to political pressure. The problem is they don't have to get fired. Their dues go to this or that regardless of what the individual member wants unless ALL members of a union were to make a big enough stink to oust the union leadership. Most working people don't have the time and energy to devote to stuff like that.
So when the press says a union backs a candidate that is a lie?

Workers have figured out union dues are irrelevant
Aren't union dues what you are worried about? They are how unions influence elections, not by trying to strong-arm union members in the ballot box.

During my time at WalMart I was the Shift Manger (one step down from the Store Manager) of a store undergoing a 4 wall expansion. We rotated 6 months of nights and 6 on days. We had to hire a certain amount of union workers to keep them from picketing in front of the store.

One night while walking through the store I came upon the union guys putting down the faux wood floor for where the shoes would be and they were putting it in the wrong place. I told them to stop as I knew it was wrong. Their team lead argued with me and said they did not answer to me. They kept going. The next morning I got in trouble for speaking directly to the union people and not their liaison. The next night when I came back they were tearing up the floor and putting it down where it belonged.
OK... well how about this example.... During the summer job I worked at the factory my Dad worked at and was called "utility worker".
So I was assigned to repairing pallets, i.e. replacing broken boards with new boards. Great job. worked at my own pace and really liked the summer job.
One day a truck load of brand new pallets was delivered and my foreman said replace the bottom board of these new pallets! Wow fresh new lumber great job!
Later in the day the shop steward came around and told me to stop what I was doing. OK.. So the foreman explained why I was to stop. Union rules said only classified "carpenters" could work on new lumber! Really! I was just adding a single new board on new pallets and was in violation of Union rules!
I'm not against all unions as they have done good for a lot of workers but this is and your examples are really a factor on American manufacturing going offshore.

If you want to work for a union company you have to join the union. If you are management you don't have to join. But if you are going to benefit from union protection then yes you have to join the union and pay your dues.

Relax. You make more now so you can afford the dues.

This is giving labor more power. This is leveling the playing field. You want to weaken/destroy unions.

What is it called when a company threatens employees if they even talk about unionizing? Is that fascism?
If you want to work for a union company you have to join the union
that depends ...the PO is union but you dont have to join, and you still get all the benefits....

OK... well how about this example.... During the summer job I worked at the factory my Dad worked at and was called "utility worker".
So I was assigned to repairing pallets, i.e. replacing broken boards with new boards. Great job. worked at my own pace and really liked the summer job.
One day a truck load of brand new pallets was delivered and my foreman said replace the bottom board of these new pallets! Wow fresh new lumber great job!
Later in the day the shop steward came around and told me to stop what I was doing. OK.. So the foreman explained why I was to stop. Union rules said only classified "carpenters" could work on new lumber! Really! I was just adding a single new board on new pallets and was in violation of Union rules!
I'm not against all unions as they have done good for a lot of workers but this is and your examples are really a factor on American manufacturing going offshore.

These stories are why people look poorly upon unions, almost all of us has had a bad experience with one or more

These stories are why people look poorly upon unions, almost all of us has had a bad experience with one or more
I agree. And the sad things these stories are the exceptions. But like most exceptions that seems to be what we all remember, i.e. the exceptions.

Forum List

Back