Do you support unions?

• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you want to work for a union company you have to join the union. If you are management you don't have to join. But if you are going to benefit from union protection then yes you have to join the union and pay your dues.

Relax. You make more now so you can afford the dues.

This is giving labor more power. This is leveling the playing field. You want to weaken/destroy unions.

What is it called when a company threatens employees if they even talk about unionizing? Is that fascism?

Nope........if you don't join the union you can't work...right?

Yes or no?

You think that makes sense?

You fascists are all alike......

Yes....next comes the arresting of people who won't fall in line.......forced party membership to feed your family, or you will be jailed.....

You guys always follow the same playbook....
Oh brother here we go. We had these rules for decades and none of that ever happened. In fact what happened was these guys who were forced to pay union dues had long 30 year careers, got pensions, had job security. Of course they didn't appreciate the union. The company they work for probably bad mouthed the union.

Ungrateful fuckers.

Oh brother here we go. We had these rules for decades and none of that ever happened. In fact what happened was these guys who were forced to pay union dues had long 30 year careers, got pensions, had job security. Of course they didn't appreciate the union. The company they work for probably bad mouthed the union.

Ungrateful fuckers.

Yep.....join the union....have your union dues go directly to the democrat party......or you don't get to work......

Got it.

Nope........if you don't join the union you can't work...right?

Yes or no?

You think that makes sense?

You fascists are all alike......
That's right. We worked hard to form a union.

IF you would be willing to make what you would be making if your company didn't have a union, that would be different. But you are going to be protected by the union. They are going to get you raises? No I'm sorry. If you won't join the union you can't work here.

Workers with union representation enjoy a significant pay premium compared to non-union workers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports non-union workers earn just 85 percent of what unionized workers earn ($1,029/week vs. $1,216/week).

Unless you are willing to take a 85% pay cut. Then I would allow it.

Yep.....join the union....have your union dues go directly to the democrat party......or you don't get to work......

Got it.
Workers with union representation enjoy a significant pay premium compared to non-union workers. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports non-union workers earn just 85 percent of what unionized workers earn ($1,029/week vs. $1,216/week).

That's right. We worked hard to form a union.

IF you would be willing to make what you would be making if your company didn't have a union, that would be different. But you are going to be protected by the union. They are going to get you raises? No I'm sorry. If you won't join the union you can't work here.

Unless you are willing to take a 85% pay cut. Then I would allow it.

Yeah...got it.......pay the democrat party, or you don't work......

You are a fascist.

Unions have their place and time. Not every work places needs one and there should not be a Govt employee union.
Golfing Gator! I agree with you! My Dad was AFL-CIO union member and he disliked it. In between college I was a union member and there was so many times stupid union requirements... like the foreman asked me to drill a hole in a piece of metal so he could get it shipped to a customer... It took less then 2 minutes BUT the foreman who knew how to do it had to have me do it...according to union rules! Stupid things like those requirements FORCED American companies to go over seas, i.e. China! Where they don't UNIONs but gulags! I later after college worked as a department supervisor and one day after the shift was over, a trucker needed one more piece to ship... I hopped on the tow motor and loaded it. After getting the shop steward comes around and guess what stupid rule came into place. The company had to pay 2 hours double overtime to a tow motor driver because of what I did! Stupid!
Unions have their place and time. Not every work places needs one and there should not be a Govt employee union.

If Amazon wants to do business in MI, it'll pay it's employees better. Or get unionized. Simple choices. They can leave and I'm sure Bamazon will be glad to take over.

No, they will just take their company and jobs to a more business friendly state.

Trust me, I'm retired truck driver. One of our customers was a company that made crates; crates the size of suitcases to the size of an entire trailer. I delivered those crates to union companies that were packing up and moving out. They couldn't compete as a union company, so they had to do whatever it took to get away from the unions. It was either that or join their former employees in the unemployment line.

Yup and that's why companies went overseas to China which has no unions but plenty of gulags!

Why do unions get to speak about politics for their members? Are members all supposed to vote as those who push their support for a political candidate or get fired?
That would be illegal, and even up here in MA does not happen. Just because someone has to join the union to get a job doesn't mean they will roll over to political pressure. The problem is they don't have to get fired. Their dues go to this or that regardless of what the individual member wants unless ALL members of a union were to make a big enough stink to oust the union leadership. Most working people don't have the time and energy to devote to stuff like that.

Golfing Gator! I agree with you! My Dad was AFL-CIO union member and he disliked it. In between college I was a union member and there was so many times stupid union requirements... like the foreman asked me to drill a hole in a piece of metal so he could get it shipped to a customer... It took less then 2 minutes BUT the foreman who knew how to do it had to have me do it...according to union rules! Stupid things like those requirements FORCED American companies to go over seas, i.e. China! Where they don't UNIONs but gulags! I later after college worked as a department supervisor and one day after the shift was over, a trucker needed one more piece to ship... I hopped on the tow motor and loaded it. After getting the shop steward comes around and guess what stupid rule came into place. The company had to pay 2 hours double overtime to a tow motor driver because of what I did! Stupid!

As I mentioned in a post above I used to be a truck driver. I could write a book about my union stories that some would never believe.

If I went to a company I knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not without talking to one employee.

Yeah...got it.......pay the democrat party, or you don't work......

You are a fascist.
90% of the jobs out there are non union. Republicans waged war on unions. Stop doing that. Stop threatening employees who want to unionize. Stop firing employees who talk about doing it. Encourage employees to discuss what each other make. Post what jobs pay when you post a job on a job board.

35% of the jobs in America used to be union jobs. As membership declined, so did wages. No coincidence.

If being a fascist means labor gets paid a fair wage, then call me a fascist baby!!!

As I mentioned in a post above I used to be a truck driver. I could write a book about my union stories that some would never believe.

If I went to a company I knew nothing about, I could tell you within ten minutes if they were union or not without talking to one employee.
This is the exact same war Republicans waged on unions in the 2000's as George Bush sent 700,000 of their jobs overseas.

You guys are so pathetic. Imagine that. You republicans are anti labor.

Republicans and Conservatives have been saying for decades that unions HAD their place and time but there is no longer a need for unions. You seem to have a slight variation of that right wing talking point. Do you believe unions are no longer necessary? If that were true this wouldn't be true

Just 10% of American workers belonged to a union in 2022, the lowest in Labor Department records going back to 1983, when the rate was 20%.

Never mind that 71% of Americans approve of unions, the highest in nearly six decades and up from 48% in 2009, a Gallup poll conducted last summer found.

If this is true, why is approval for unions growing? Sorry but unions may be just as necessary today as they were back then. Corporations and the guys at the top aren't sharing fairly with labor. Unions will make sure they do.

I think for the most part unions are no longer necessary. Most of the things they fought for are now mandated by law, thus removing their utility.

Back in the Mid 80s before I joined the Corps I worked as a welder at a fire apparatus manufacture. I welded aluminum fire truck cabs. The company was amazing and treated us well. One moron got PO at his manger and pushed for a union. He wrote to a union and tried to get them to come and unionize our shop. Once the process started everything was locked, no raises, no bonuses, nothing was allowed to change till it was over. Took damn near 9 months while the union tried to talk us all into joining. The end vote was 92% no. I have had a bad taste in my mouth over unions ever since.

My wife works for the VA as a nurse. They have a union which is useless a screen door on a submarine. Seems all they do is fight to keep shit people from being fired. They cannot impact hours, or pay or benefits since all of that is mandated by Congress.

The unions never helped me and i was a teamster and united steel worker. What it did to is protect guys that needed to be fired and it kept good people out of important jobs while allowing fxck ups in those positions ( overhead crane ).

The unions were always ran and controlled by the companies; I live in the heart of Unions ( detroit).

I believe that over 95% of America supports unions. But I wonder if that was the case in the 1940s or maybe it has changed today. I want to be able to convince as many people as possible here that unions are pro American, they are pro Christian they are pro traditions. They are pro civil liberties, they are pro second amendment, they are pro police and pro firefighters and pro military.

Yes there are corrupt union leaders yes they are corrupt teachers, yes there are corrupt police officers, yes there are corrupt members of the NAACP, yes there are corrupt members of the United States government. There’s corruption in every country in the world. America stands out as the most liberal and free country at all of human history. Our middle class, our military , and our economy is the best in the world because of American greatness, Because of our glorious victory in World War II where we saved the free world with our brave Soviet , Chinese and British allies ….and because of the steel workers and United States military, and the will of the American men and women through history…they all made our country great and glorious.

Rather than going to a very long post as I often do I’ll make this as short as possible. I can’t think of a better image and video to show then the one below. Because after all all of the conservatives here who say they love America who say they stand by the Second Amendment, who they who say they stand by family, Christianity and American traditions I only ask you to just look briefly at the following video because the very people you aspire to be …well they are the men and the women of the following video. The steel workers of the following video who contributed to World War II who fought in World War II. Who fought in the Vietnam war who came home and who were able to get a steel job that set them for life. I can’t think of anything else to bring forward to prove my point gentlemen and ladies. I can’t think of anything else other than this. These were and are unionized workers these are steel workers.

That is patriotism^

The power of American steel we see that above. The power of American greatness in manufacturing we see this above. Our bridges are roads, our road signs and so much more come from steel. Just the term “American steel” sounds so awesome and strong.

I couldn't vote because I didn't see my choice. Unions were a good thing when they first started out. The best scenario is when both union and management have 50/50 power. When one side gets too much power, which unions had for way too long, that's not good. So, I'm pretty much against all unions where they have more power than a 50/50 split.

Companies who were not unionized went overseas. Why?
They say that moving to cheap-labor countries like Mexico, Taiwan, and Malaysia for export back to the United States is allowing U.S. industry to regain its world standing. Economists generally approve. They consider the migration to low-wage areas an adjustment caused by changes in international comparative advantage.

Forum List

Back