• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
No.

Unions were created because workers were being used and abused. Terrible working conditions, no benefits, being forced to work over, unsafe conditions and so on. They were an amazing thing back then because it forced companies to be better or they lost tons of money. Even back then if you didn't want to join one you run a good risk of getting a black eye or a broken arm.

But now we have osha, we have state and federal laws enacted over the entire country, we have minimum wage, people wronged by a company can very easily hold them accountable in court, individuals wronged have more direct access to news sources and so on. And now it's easier than ever to find another job if you truly hate yours that much, you can pull out your phone and see hundreds of job listings in a few minutes, even all over the country and the world.

Unions are no longer needed. The vast majority of unions now exist as a business model and nothing else because they aren't needed as stated above. If a union gets voted in anyone who doesn't want to be a part of it doesn't get a choice. If you don't sign up and pay union dues you either get the shittiest hours or they cut your time. Unions are paid by the people they represent, that's how they make their money. The workers pay the union out of their check in the form of union dues so everytime a union "fights for better pay" they really fight for more money for themselves. Unions are in business to make money, they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart.

Now everytime you hear about unions it's Starbucks or Amazon because it's kids that work menial jobs and instead of working towards better jobs they want a skilled labor wage for non skilled labor work so unions sucker them in with promises of all kinds of stuff.

The only unions I support are police unions because cops are constantly under assault and need that extra backup. They are essential to our society, catch the most shit and don't get paid very well. But all other unions can go spit.

Unions are romanticized a lot.

That is more or less where many unions are today. Even airlines. The more they give up so you have to work harder the better because screw your quality of life. Unions don't make money off you going to your kid's play. They make money off you grinding your ass off. I am hoping American Airlines workers do go on strike and then the members vote down any contract that their leaders agree to that requires them to give up a single solitary thing.

Forum List

Back