• Yes and I am a Republican

• Yes and I am an independent

• Yes and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Democrat

• No and I am a Republican

• No and I am an independent

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can’t get a promotion into management
I was both and employee and in management in the same union shop. I try not to think about my old job much since I retired but something I thought of while surfing through this thread. As a manager I was at the meeting in the morning discussing some employee behaviors. I had a definite opinion about what had happened (since I was there) and carefully explained it to my fellow managers. One employee was well liked by management, one not. None of them thought I was lying and accepted what I said as fact, yet made exactly the wrong decision. I remember asking when I went to the playing favorites class they all must have went to. They did not even bother to deny they made the decision by which employee they liked the best. Management and unions suck equally or close.

I was both and employee and in management in the same union shop. I try not to think about my old job much since I retired but something I thought of while surfing through this thread. As a manager I was at the meeting in the morning discussing some employee behaviors. I had a definite opinion about what had happened (since I was there) and carefully explained it to my fellow managers. One employee was well liked by management, one not. None of them thought I was lying and accepted what I said as fact, yet made exactly the wrong decision. I remember asking when I went to the playing favorites class they all must have went to. They did not even bother to deny they made the decision by which employee they liked the best. Management and unions suck equally or close.
Management is not union

Management is not part of the union. That’s an oxymoron state! So unions negotiate with itself? Hahaha haha
OK you are stupid. I was an employee in a union shop. The management promoted me to manager. I typed real slow. You should understand now.

The problems that people have with Big Labor come down to 3 big areas.

Seniority, union work rules and grievances.

Any business can be bogged down in this quagmire.

Seniority means that mere longevity- not competency- is what determines an employees tasks and compensation.

Union work rules freeze everything in place, making innovation extremely difficult as technology progresses. Eliminate a useless step because changes have made it redundant at best? Can't do it, as it would mean eliminating someone's job.

Any shop today can unionize if they want. Why don't they? Because they seen the results of the last time unions had power in this country. Employees realized it's better to have a job that doesn't pay as well as they'd like than no job at all because unions chase jobs out of the state or country.

So unions are in the past like the horse and buggy. They simply won't get the support from employees or the US consumer.

Any shop today can unionize if they want. Why don't they? Because they seen the results of the last time unions had power in this country. Employees realized it's better to have a job that doesn't pay as well as they'd like than no job at all because unions chase jobs out of the state or country.

So unions are in the past like the horse and buggy. They simply won't get the support from employees or the US consumer.
And that, boys and girls is why profits have increased since the 60's and wages are effectively stagnate.

And that, boys and girls is why profits have increased since the 60's and wages are effectively stagnate.

I belonged to a union, the United Food and Commercial Workers, briefly in the 1980's. The union wage I received was $3.50 hour, the legal minimum was $3.35.

The dues I was required to pay made a regular minimum wage job a lot more beneficial to me, so needless to say within a few months I was gone.

Unions just didn't deliver in the 1980's, and that's what they collapsed.

You can't stop profits from increasing with unions. The entire concept of a business is to produce as much profit as possible. If they can't do that in one area they simply move to another.

Wages are not stagnated. They increase all the time especially in these past two years. They may not have kept up with inflation over the past 40 years but they do increase. The problem is that automation replaced monkey jobs and outsourcing to cheaper labor companies. You can't pay a guy 50K a year to turn nuts onto bolts any longer. Today if you want to be middle-class, it requires working long hours or getting into a field of work making your labor worth more.

OK you are stupid. I was an employee in a union shop. The management promoted me to manager. I typed real slow. You should understand now.
Were you a union rep? Why were you asked by management?

Was management part of the union?

See post #512.

Last edited:
Thank God you are here. I was a union employee and a manager in the same shop.

This doesn't make much sense. Managers have to run the joint when the unions are on strike- puts you on both sides of the picket line. Also, unions file grievances against management, how can someone file complaints against themselves- did you have a split personality or something?

This doesn't make much sense. Managers have to run the joint when the unions are on strike- puts you on both sides of the picket line. Also, unions file grievances against management, how can someone file complaints against themselves- did you have a split personality or something?
Thank you!

Damn, I cannot believe this is that difficult. I was an employee in a union shop. Management requited me to management and I took the job. So I was a union employee in a shop. Later I was in management in the same shop. I was no longer union, I was management.

Were you a union rep? Why were you asked by management?

Was management part of the union?

See post #512.
This is not difficult. I was a union employee and great at my job. Management wanted me to be management. So I got promoted. Why can't you guys understand this?

This is not difficult. I was a union employee and great at my job. Management wanted me to be management. So I got promoted. Why can't you guys understand this?
When you went to management, did you continue paying dues?

Damn, I cannot believe this is that difficult. I was an employee in a union shop. Management requited me to management and I took the job. So I was a union employee in a shop. Later I was in management in the same shop. I was no longer union, I was management.
So you were alone off. You didn’t answer this way! How many others got management jobs?

Yup and that's why companies went overseas to China which has no unions but plenty of gulags!
May Bankrupt Anonymously

They committed that economic treason because Bizz Skule gratchewits are too stupid to make a company profitable if they have to pay decent wages. The only thing the unions did wrong is not taking over by force any company that threatens to desert America. Many blue-collar workers can run a company better than the white-collar drones, whose motto is, "It's not a job; it's a position."

Union members see the incompetence, snobbery, and higher pay of the Sissies in Suitcoats. They take out their resentment by cushioning their own work.

What about the big percentage of employers who exploit their workers? Hurt them?

They say that moving to cheap-labor countries like Mexico, Taiwan, and Malaysia for export back to the United States is allowing U.S. industry to regain its world standing. Economists generally approve. They consider the migration to low-wage areas an adjustment caused by changes in international comparative advantage.
Oinkonomics: This Little Piggy Went to Market

Forum List

Back