do you like Greek or chinese food?

greek or chinese?

• Total voters
Ethnic food is great

But watch what has been 'americanized'

~S~
I'm not sure americanized is necessarily bad. It is different, but being different from the original isn't some magic guarantee of a worse result.

Tex Mex isn't Mexican food, but it can be delicious. Same with American Chinese food.

Clearly there are very few in the Eastern half... I have had very good Mexican food in AZ and NM.
Out west I have only been to NV, AZ, NM and CO.
Define "very few", Mexican immigrants have spread to so many different communities now I'm often surprised that there is good Mexican food available in cities I didn't expect.

If you're been to AZ and still think eating Mexican food in USA is almost a guarantee of a lousy meal you can't be helped.

i like both

what about you!?

What is "Chinese food"?

You go to Beijing, the food is different to Xi'an, which is different to Sichuan, which is different to Guangzhou, and then there's food from Xinjiang and food from all over.

And then there's the "Chinese food" you get abroad which is often Chinese/western fusion

I'm not sure americanized is necessarily bad. It is different, but being different from the original isn't some magic guarantee of a worse result.
Oh i'd quite agree Ave, especially given my experience of city living after an influx of Cambodians where many dogs magically disappeared.....

1710328458534.png

~S~

What is "Chinese food"?

You go to Beijing, the food is different to Xi'an, which is different to Sichuan, which is different to Guangzhou, and then there's food from Xinjiang and food from all over.

And then there's the "Chinese food" you get abroad which is often Chinese/western fusion

I’ve been told, though have never tried it, that the best Chinese food outside China is in Paris. I’ve eaten in Hong Kong. Bowls and bowls of steamed vegetables (never got that in the West) And golden coloured strangled ducks.

i like both

what about you!?
1. I have never eaten Greek food, and I have no interest in doing so.

2. I like Chinese food, even though they say that it is really Chinese-American food.

a. That is to say, supposedly the food over in China is very different from Chinese-American food.

As with any ethnic focused cuisine, there can be quite a range in quality. Especially depending upon which part of the USA you are in.
When done right ...
Greek and most all Mediterranean types. One of best is a good, authentic gyro, with ouzo of course, especially if Greek ouzo such as Ouzo 12.
Chinese can also vary with different types, such as Hunan and Sichuan being some of the best I've found in USA/West coast.
Closely related is Vietnamese, especially Pho'.

American food......

Take something that is made fresh, with the best ingredients possible.
Add preservatives, loads of sodium, loads of sugar, and make it using the cheapest ingredients available.

You can close the thread now.

American food......

Take something that is made fresh, with the best ingredients possible.
Add preservatives, loads of sodium, loads of sugar, and make it using the cheapest ingredients available.

You can close the thread now.
I just had some delicious gumbo at a restaurant in Lafayette.

I suspect their ingredients were:
  • oil and flour for the roux
  • chicken and smoked sausage for protein
  • celery, bell pepper, and onion for the trinity
  • garlic, bay leaves, maybe thyme or paprika?
  • stock made using the bones of the chickens they use to make their dishes
I could tell by the texture they didn't use filé, and since this was SW Louisiana there wasn't any okra either.

Apparently we can add good American food to the list of cuisines that you suck at finding.

I just had some delicious gumbo at a restaurant in Lafayette.

I suspect their ingredients were:
  • oil and flour for the roux
  • chicken and smoked sausage for protein
  • celery, bell pepper, and onion for the trinity
  • garlic, bay leaves, maybe thyme or paprika?
  • stock made using the bones of the chickens they use to make their dishes
I could tell by the texture they didn't use filé, and since this was SW Louisiana there wasn't any okra either.

Apparently we can add good American food to the list of cuisines that you suck at finding.
It is more of a general statement.
Of course there is good food to be found in the U,S,
Some of the best restaurants in the world are here.
But the market is almost completely saturated with chain restaurants that suck.

Forum List

Back