WW2 cuisine- Shit on the Shingle

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
Great dish, I have it every year on my dad's birthday. WW2 chefs were tremendous cooks, but they really weren't that great at inventing appetizing names for their entrees. I'm surprised McDonald's never came out with a McShit on their menu to attract WW2 era customers.

Great dish, I have it every year on my dad's birthday. WW2 chefs were tremendous cooks, but they really weren't that great at inventing appetizing names for their entrees. I'm surprised McDonald's never came out with a McShit on their menu to attract WW2 era customers.

I grew up on it and in this neck of the woods, the free breakfast at motels often has biscuits and gravy. Libby's makes a pretty good canned sausage gravy. Twenty minutes and you can bake some poppin' fresh biscuits and nuke a can of gravy--great hot breakfast. MMMMM Good.

It was available in just about every messhall for breakfast, I ever walked into, especially mine. My cooks were great!

It was available in just about every messhall for breakfast, I ever walked into, especially mine. My cooks were great!

The Mess Hall at Ft. Ritchie made great SOS. Only better was a Ft. Meyer. SOS with scrambled eggs every morning. Side of hashbrowns as well. Number ONE!!!

One of my favorite meals growing up.
Ours had peas.

I like it. It's a classic. I also like Spam, another WWII staple. Which the Germans liked, too. They were very enthusiastic about capturing a truckload of Spam.

I grew up on it and in this neck of the woods, the free breakfast at motels often has biscuits and gravy. Libby's makes a pretty good canned sausage gravy. Twenty minutes and you can bake some poppin' fresh biscuits and nuke a can of gravy--great hot breakfast. MMMMM Good.

That's just sacrilege.....

nuking a CAN of gravy???? I bet those poppin fresh biscuits are from a can too??? Shame on you!

And while SOS and Sausage gravy with biscuits are very similar......they are both in a category of their own.

I do the burger version of SOS with toast.......sausage gravy with HOMEMADE biscuits. Really, they're not that hard to make

nuking a CAN of gravy???? I bet those poppin fresh biscuits are from a can too??? Shame on you!

And while SOS and Sausage gravy with biscuits are very similar......they are both in a category of their own.

I do the burger version of SOS with toast.......sausage gravy with HOMEMADE biscuits. Really, they're not that hard to make

I know canned gravy sounds bad, but It's actually pretty good. I can make white sausage gravy to die for, but I have have a few cans of store-bought put away with a bunch of other foods. The best thing about canned gravy is that it lasts for years.

Granted but you can't go from start to eating in 20 minutes. Where else would poppin' fresh biscuits come from?

I know canned gravy sounds bad, but It's actually pretty good. I can make white sausage gravy to die for, but I have have a few cans of store-bought put away with a bunch of other foods. The best thing about canned gravy is that it lasts for years.

I hear ya and I suppose it's a good thing to have.

Or have some canned sausage, bit of flour and some milk (even canned milk) and whatever other seasonings......and voila

After several months on the front lines, my Ol' Man was critically wounded in the Battle of the Bulge. His letters home to my Mom never mentioned the ongoing battles or the frigid cold. SOS was NEVER even mentioned in our house.

Returned to my Mom along with others on Jan. 9, 1946 having been mailed to him Oct. 3, 1944. They were moving so fast that the Army didn't know where he was located.

IMG%200001%20Censored-X3.jpg

IMG_0003%20Censored-X2.jpg

23%20Apr%201945%20Postcard%20Edited-X3.jpg

Last edited:
The worst ever SOS I had was at the battalion mess hall in Viet Nam. One word...gastly. The Battalion Commander was so disgusted he relieved the mess officer and the NCOIC.

IIRC. the cooks didn't give the dish that name. It was the G.I.'s eating it that did. Especially after being served more often than any other breakfast.

Forum List

Back