Zone1 Do Christians Proselytize out of “Love” - or Arrogance?

Having been on the receiving end of Evangelical Christians‘ relentless attempts to get me to abandon my religion (Judaism), I have often heard them say they do it out of love to “share the Truth.” The attempt to convert usually escalates to dire warnings of the hell that awaits and how angry G-d is with Jews.

So is this really love? There are numerous religions in the world, with the majority of people not believing in Jesus, and one‘s religious beliefs are as much the truth to them as Christians beliefs are to Christians.

In this article, it explains how force-feeding one’s religious beliefs onto others, with the insistence that their way and only their way is the path to G-d, is both arrogant and disrespectful. I hope that those who have been aggressively proselytizing will give it some thought.

If it's any consolation, I won't try to baptize you.

That’s not what I got out of the article. How can anyone’s BELIEFS be arrogant? It is the insistence to others that those beliefs are the only right ones that is arrogant and disrespectful.

As far as the left, I agree...for some reason, they are very tolerant (if not outright promoting) bigotry of Christians and Jews, while defending Muslims. A good topic for a different thread would be “why”?

I have said facetiously (but not entirely) they're blinded by what they think is the "exotic" nature of Islam. You know, "brown people", different clothes. That's all it takes for them. Very superficial.

On another note: I ran into a discussion here that might have launched this thread. I would propose on a message board, Christians will put forth ideas more assertively *because* that's what message boards are for. We have no relationship per se; we are here to exchange ideas. It's still not polite to follow a poster around and troll them with information, but in the proper forum, presenting your ideas is really what this place is all about. So I give a little more leeway to someone on a message board v. a neighbor in real life being aggressive. If that makes sense.

Having been on the receiving end of Evangelical Christians‘ relentless attempts to get me to abandon my religion (Judaism), I have often heard them say they do it out of love to “share the Truth.” The attempt to convert usually escalates to dire warnings of the hell that awaits and how angry G-d is with Jews.

So is this really love? There are numerous religions in the world, with the majority of people not believing in Jesus, and one‘s religious beliefs are as much the truth to them as Christians beliefs are to Christians.

In this article, it explains how force-feeding one’s religious beliefs onto others, with the insistence that their way and only their way is the path to G-d, is both arrogant and disrespectful. I hope that those who have been aggressively proselytizing will give it some thought.

You haven’t read the Gospels.
They all end off with “Spread the Good News!”.

I have said facetiously (but not entirely) they're blinded by what they think is the "exotic" nature of Islam. You know, "brown people", different clothes. That's all it takes for them. Very superficial.

On another note: I ran into a discussion here that might have launched this thread. I would propose on a message board, Christians will put forth ideas more assertively *because* that's what message boards are for. We have no relationship per se; we are here to exchange ideas. It's still not polite to follow a poster around and troll them with information, but in the proper forum, presenting your ideas is really what this place is all about. So I give a little more leeway to someone on a message board v. a neighbor in real life being aggressive. If that makes sense.
Yes, that does make sense. And with a message board, if someone is overly aggressive, well….you just ignore them. Having a neighbor tell you about Jesus every time you meet at the mailbox or driveway or whatever makes it hard to escape.

And interesting take on the “brown” aspect to Muslims.

Yes, that does make sense. And with a message board, if someone is overly aggressive, well….you just ignore them. Having a neighbor tell you about Jesus every time you meet at the mailbox or driveway or whatever makes it hard to escape.

And interesting take on the “brown” aspect to Muslims.
I always ask them if they know Hebrew and that ends the discussion right there.

You haven’t read the Gospels.
They all end off with “Spread the Good News!”.
You’re joking, right? I’m aware they’re instructed to spread the word. The point is that they can bring it up, if they feel compelled to, and then drop it when they don’t get a positive reception. Some of them just won’t let up, though, and who wants to be told they’re going to hell and how G-d hates Jews every time you pull into the driveway?

You’re joking, right? I’m aware they’re instructed to spread the word. The point is that they can bring it up, if they feel compelled to, and then drop it when they don’t get a positive reception. Some of them just won’t let up, though, and who wants to be told they’re going to hell and how G-d hates Jews every time you pull into the driveway?
I’m not joking.

Don’t understand how. When someone starts proselytizing to me and I tell them I’m Jewish (IOW, not interested), that spurs them on even more!

Our asst pastor last year....(he moved on to lead pastor in another church)...he and his wife both attended seminary. He for leadership; she for church music. They both read the OT in Hebrew. I was so impressed by that--it does not seem an easy language to me. He also read Greek.

Our asst pastor last year....(he moved on to lead pastor in another church)...he and his wife both attended seminary. He for leadership; she for church music. They both read the OT in Hebrew. I was so impressed by that--it does not seem an easy language to me. He also read Greek.
Hebrew has less than half the words of the next smallest language.
The complication is what do the words REALLY mean and the KJV is a horrible interpretation.

I took four years of Hebrew School, and one year of Spanish. Spanish was easier.

Hebrew has less than half the words of the next smallest language.
The complication is what do the words REALLY mean and the KJV is a horrible interpretation.

This is probably superficial of me but I think it's the fact that it reads right to left which seems tricky AND there seems to be a great deal of interpretation involved. But what do I know about it: almost nothing. Admittedly.

It's the last thing Jesus said. "Go and make disciples of all nations..."
That doesn’t mean he wanted to convert people to Christianity, which did not exist during his lifetime. He wanted to have people follow his teachings, which were primarily Jewish values and lessons.

This is probably superficial of me but I think it's the fact that it reads right to left which seems tricky AND there seems to be a great deal of interpretation involved. But what do I know about it: almost nothing. Admittedly.
So does Aramaic.
Remember…The further you are from the Right, the further your are skewed.

Forum List

Back