Do any of you do fasting?

I personally can't do it.

Anyone can do it. It takes both preparation and practice to be successful. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it for weight loss, that's the first advice I'd give. I don't think it leads to success, due to problems with compliance. I suggest people read about the medical and health benefits of fasting before they start. Then, you're motivated to do it.

Anyone can do it. It takes both preparation and practice to be successful. I wouldn't recommend anyone do it for weight loss, that's the first advice I'd give. I don't think it leads to success, due to problems with compliance. I suggest people read about the medical and health benefits of fasting before they start. Then, you're motivated to do it.
No they can't.
I had pancreatitis when I was 29 years old. I was in the hospital for 9 days.
Ever since then, if I don't eat at least something every so many hours I get dizzy and nauseous. If I have nothing I will get a migraine headache.
Pancreas is an important organ, the pancreatitis damaged something and my blood sugar levels will drop.

No they can't.
I had pancreatitis when I was 29 years old. I was in the hospital for 9 days.
Ever since then, if I don't eat at least something every so many hours I get dizzy and nauseous. If I have nothing I will get a migraine headache.
Pancreas is an important organ, the pancreatitis damaged something and my blood sugar levels will drop.
I understand that fasting is not for everyone, and you would need medical advice before attempting such a thing. You might not be a candidate, as getting rid of excess glucose from ones bloodstream is what helps allow autophagy to be successful.

I hope I never have to use the fire extinguishers in my house

And going a month without food was not very common in for people in any part of our history.

15 million Soviets died in the great famine.

Over 30 million Chinese died of famine during "The Great Leap Forward."

He's the one who posted the thread asking for comments so I commented.
He asked if anyone else did any fasting, not if you thought it was crazy or not besides I was responding to your "I don't see the point" which I bolded.

Last edited:
SO what?

They didn't choose to starve to death their governments made that decision for them.
You said going a month without food was uncommon. That wasn't a statement about fasting specifically. I think he's trying to contribute to the idea that humans have been conditioned over time to be able to go long periods of time without food. Not all Russian and Chinese people starved to death during those periods. Some of them just got really fucking hungry and survived.

Last edited:
I might seem to be a naysayer in this, not intending to be - just a realist.
I have seen so many food fads come and go - with "experts" saying the wondrous benefits of "X" - only a few years later other experts say - "oh yeah...that... yeah don't do that".
Example juicing. Quite the phase. Made a more than one $millionaire for sure. I knew it was bullshit. And frankly couldn't understand how anyone believed their false promises. And several of those charlatans are still out there trying to sell their books and products.
Fasting creates a number of changes in your body. And brain.
Some are no doubt good. But others are not good. People believe what they want to believe. And ignoring the risks because you want to believe it is good - is foolish.
We can play tit for tat about it all day long. You post a link, I post a link saying the opposite. And both from legitimate sources.
Bottom line - nothing. NOTHING beats eating sensible, nutritious foods. Nothing. Eating a balanced diet and avoiding the plethora of bad choices that out number the good 20 to 1 will do more for your health than anything.
That is just a fact.

I might seem to be a naysayer in this, not intending to be - just a realist.
I have seen so many food fads come and go - with "experts" saying the wondrous benefits of "X" - only a few years later other experts say - "oh yeah...that... yeah don't do that".
Example juicing. Quite the phase. Made a more than one $millionaire for sure. I knew it was bullshit. And frankly couldn't understand how anyone believed their false promises. And several of those charlatans are still out there trying to sell their books and products.
Fasting creates a number of changes in your body. And brain.
Some are no doubt good. But others are not good. People believe what they want to believe. And ignoring the risks because you want to believe it is good - is foolish.
We can play tit for tat about it all day long. You post a link, I post a link saying the opposite. And both from legitimate sources.
Bottom line - nothing. NOTHING beats eating sensible, nutritious foods. Nothing. Eating a balanced diet and avoiding the plethora of bad choices that out number the good 20 to 1 will do more for your health than anything.
That is just a fact.
On a personal note I've found by doing intermittent fasting for a couple of months it's changed my eating habits for the better. I'm eating more nutritious foods and finding the heavier food consumption less appetizing. It was never about a diet fad for me, it was a way to help me eat better and it's working.

On a personal note I've found by doing intermittent fasting for a couple of months it's changed my eating habits for the better. I'm eating more nutritious foods and finding the heavier food consumption less appetizing. It was never about a diet fad for me, it was a way to help me eat better and it's working.
And that is awesome.
For me, 39 years old was a turning point.
I weighed 255 lbs. ( I am 6' 4" so that isn't as fat as you may think) they discovered I had an aortic aneurysm, I had chronic high blood pressure. Went through bouts of IBS and suffered multiple migraine head aches a month.
After trying several that had bad side effects, we settled on 100mg of Atenonol. That is a lot. But it is imperative for me that my blood pressure is actually below average, as well as my heart rate to be discouraged from elevating.
I ate terrible then. Fast Food, drank 4 -5 cans of Coke a day...snacking you name it.
I stopped all of it.
I no longer have headaches.
I no longer have IBS
My aneurysm has been stable for ever since.
I had 13 kidney stones before I was 40, I have only had one in the last 16 years.
And my weight has been a steady 210 - 215 for years now.

Absolutely it is, you have to be thinking clearly or you'll not be successful foraging/hunting.
Lol, I hunt or fish almost every day. I find it helpful to have calories in my belly while doing it. Some days I hunt and fish. Sticking the days catch in the pan is may favorite part. It is the motivation to get up and do it for me. Tell me I gotta get up at four hang out in 7 degrees and not eat it at the end of the day you might end up in my pan. Lol

I work in construction and probably burn more calories than I take in daily.
I would starve. I am always hungry.
I barely could take the fasting before a colonoscopy.

Eating multiple small meals spread throughout the day is proven to be the best method to build muscle.

At noon I'll be at 48 hours with nothing but water. It really can be a somewhat spiritual experience. It feels great. I try to do a good fast once every few months at least.

Fasting is good for you. It really is an essential part of health. I mean, we name one of our meals a break-FAST. But how you do it depends on your health. I once went over a week without food. One summer day, near the end, I was out in the sun mowing my girlfriend's yard and felt great. But just as important is the diet you are on leading up TO the fast. They call that a transition diet. One of the most dangerous things in the world for a person is to just stop eating cold without knowing what the fasting process really does.

Suggested read: Prof. Arnold Ehret's Mucusless Diet Healing System.

Last edited:
I’m going to guess most of the guys into fasting for days at a time are not athletic and have sedentary office jobs. You need a steady supply of protein and carbs if you’re active.

Forum List

Back