DisInformation Attempts by the Enviros!

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
“GMO Opponents Are the Climate Skeptics of the Left” is the title of an interesting article in the Left-leaning journal, Slate. I’m a ‘AGW skeptic’ but I have to post this.

1. “Don’t worry. Genetically modified corn isn’t going to give you cancer.

2. I used to think that nothing rivaled the misinformation spewed by climate change skeptics and spinmeisters. Then I started paying attention to how anti-GMO campaigners have distorted the science on genetically modified foods. You might be surprised at how successful they've been and who has helped them pull it off.

3. I’ve found that fears are stoked by prominent environmental groups, supposed food-safety watchdogs, and influential food columnists; that dodgy science is laundered by well-respected scholars and propaganda is treated credulously by legendary journalists; and that progressive media outlets, which often decry the scurrilous rhetoric that warps the climate debate, serve up a comparable agitprop when it comes to GMOs.

4. …the emotionally charged, politicized discourse on GMOs is mired in the kind of fever swamps that have polluted climate science beyond recognition….A French research team purportedly found that GMO corn fed to rats caused them to develop giant tumors and die prematurely. Within 24 hours, the study's credibility was shredded by scores of scientists. The consensus judgment was swift and damning: The study was riddled with errors—serious, blatantly obvious flaws that should have been caught by peer reviewers. …the study was "designed to frighten" the public.*

a. …the lead author, Gilles-Eric Seralini, who, as NPR reports, "has been campaigning against GM crops since 1997," and whose research methods have been "questioned before," according to the New York Times.

5. ….Seralini and his co-authors manipulated some members of the media to prevent outside scrutiny of their study. (The strategy appears to have worked like a charm in Europe.) Some reporters allowed themselves to be stenographers by signing nondisclosure agreements stipulating they not solicit independent expert opinion before the paper was released. That has riled up science journalists such as Carl Zimmer, who wrote on his Discover magazine blog: "This is a rancid, corrupt way to report about science. It speaks badly for the scientists involved, but we journalists have to grant that it speaks badly to our profession, too. ... If someone hands you confidentiality agreements to sign, so that you will have no choice but to produce a one-sided article, WALK AWAY. Otherwise, you are being played."

6. ….concerns about GMOs, which are regularly echoed at other left-leaning media outlets, have little merit. As Pamela Ronald, a UC-Davis plant geneticist,pointed out last year in Scientific American: "There is broad scientific consensus that genetically engineered crops currently on the market are safe to eat. After 14 years of cultivation and a cumulative total of 2 billion acres planted, no adverse health or environmental effects have resulted from commercialization of genetically engineered crops."

7. Some of these folks are worried about new genes being introduced into plant and animal species. But humans have been selectively breeding plants and animals pretty much since we moved out of caves, manipulating their genes all the while. The process was just slower before biotechnology came along….But people should know that GMOs are tightly regulated (some scientists say in an overly burdensome manner).

a. A recent 20-year study published in Nature found that GM crops helped a beneficial insect ecosystem to thrive and migrate into surrounding fields. For an overview of the benefits (and enduring concerns) of GM crops, see this recent post by Pamela Ronald. The bottom line for people worried about GMO ingredients in their food is that there is no credible scientific evidence that GMOs pose a health risk.

8. Such acceptance by lefties of what everyone else in the reality-based science community derides as patently bad science is “just plain depressing,” writes a medical researcher who blogs under the name Orac. He compares the misuse of science and scare tactics by GMO opponents to the behavior of the anti-vaccine movement.

9. This brand of fear-mongering is what I've come to expect from environmental groups,anti-GMO activists, and their most shamelessly exploitive soul travelers. This is what agenda-driven ideologues do….What's disconcerting is when big media outlets and influential thought leaderslegitimize pseudoscience and perpetuate some of the most outrageous tabloid myths, which have been given fresh currency by a slanted 2011 documentary that is taken at face value at places like the Huffington Post.

10. In a recent commentary for Nature, Yale University's Dan Kahan lamented the "polluted science communication environment" that has deeply polarized the climate debate. He writes: “People acquire their scientific knowledge by consulting others who share their values and whom they therefore trust and understand.” This means that lefties in the media and prominent scholars and food advocates who truly care about the planet are information brokers. So they have a choice to make: On the GMO issue, they can be scrupulous in their analysis of facts and risks, or they can continue to pollute the science communication environment.”
Are GMO foods safe? Opponents are skewing the science to scare people. - Slate Magazine

Let's remember that Slate is recognized as a Left-leaning journal....and they published about far-Left anti-GM propaganda.

I post this particularly for one of my pals on the board who wrote, yesterday, that he was "worried about new genes being introduced into plant and animal species."

Hope this calms his fears.

what if they are wrong?

Is that possible?

Is there a time frame for 'what if's'?

From the OP:
"After 14 years of cultivation and a cumulative total of 2 billion acres planted, no adverse health or environmental effects have resulted from commercialization of genetically engineered crops."

'Cause if 14 years isn't enough testing.....y'think we should abandon hybrid autos and lithium ion batteries until we can dispense with 'what if'?

I can't see why a GMO Crop with Insect Repellant INSIDE of it would be bad for you to consume.

what if they are wrong?

Is that possible?

Hey.....we hear ya sweetie. Many are taking no chances with this stuff.

Behold an example of efforts going on all over the globe...........

ark.jpg

Perhaps there is room on it for you? Not sure but make sure to check for WiFi capabilities.......nobody would want your ass on board without being able to make your 200 posts/day on the USMB.:2up:

Apply the same logic to AGW.

Y'know...as one of those AGW skeptics, the same occurred to me....

...but I had to post this as it nailed the fakes who argue against GM foods.....

I'm a fake now, am I?:eusa_eh:

Calm down, boy.

The OP was for you....the 'fakes' are the ones the Slate article lists.

You're an actual skeptic....not a 'fake' skeptic.
Hopefully, your less of a skeptic after reading the article.

...but I had to post this as it nailed the fakes who argue against GM foods.....

Calm down, boy.

Skepticism is a very healthy attribute to have in today's world where things so often and increasingly are not what they seem.

Slate does make a compelling argument on the pro-side and I'm also seeing some compelling arguments on the anti-side.

While I am becoming a passionate advocate for consuming fresh, wholesome foods, and rejecting most of the processed junk that passes for food these days, and I rail against forcing animal protein on herbivores and infusing hormones into meat and poultry products, I haven't given a lot of attention to a lot of GMO issues.

There is a part of me that is instinctively cautious about embracing tomatoes that are effectively sterile and unable to reproduce themseles etc. Is that a good thing? Or not?

In short I am just now educating myself on this subject and I am not yet ready to form an opinion about it. But I find the topic interesting.

Calm down, boy.

Yeah, I'm just twisting your rope a little.

I understand the stated humanitarian goals of GMOs. Many things that have had unintended and harmful consequences are often sold to the public because of their pretty packaging and noble intent. Wouldn't it be great to feed the starving masses? ...To improve the nutritional quality of what some populations eat as a dietary staple? ...To introduce vaccines and other preventative medicines into the population? So it interests me that the "usual suspects" are rising in opposition to such righteous ambition as the feeding of all the hungry and poor of the world. It puzzles me equally that those who would normally be skeptical of such potentially dangerous organisms appear to support their introduction into our environment and food supplies with so few questions.
While I also understand that mankind has manipulated the genetic makeup of many organisms throughout history, they have done so by selective breeding of the original organism, using the genes indigenous to the organism being altered... Until recently. Technology now allows scientists to cut-and-paste genes into organisms, genes that do not belong to that organism's basic genetic makeup. This is not the same as selecting desirable characteristics expressed by an organism and then breeding to enhance those characteristics.
While you claim there are no conclusive studies that prove that GMOs are harmful, there is most certainly enough anecdotal evidence to warrant caution in their introduction into the natural food supplies and uncontrolled propagation of such crops and animals. Just because some of the sources of information may have suspect motives does not mean we should dismiss the information out-of-hand.

I understand the stated humanitarian goals of GMOs. Many things that have had unintended and harmful consequences are often sold to the public because of their pretty packaging and noble intent. Wouldn't it be great to feed the starving masses? ...To improve the nutritional quality of what some populations eat as a dietary staple? ...To introduce vaccines and other preventative medicines into the population? So it interests me that the "usual suspects" are rising in opposition to such righteous ambition as the feeding of all the hungry and poor of the world. It puzzles me equally that those who would normally be skeptical of such potentially dangerous organisms appear to support their introduction into our environment and food supplies with so few questions.
While I also understand that mankind has manipulated the genetic makeup of many organisms throughout history, they have done so by selective breeding of the original organism, using the genes indigenous to the organism being altered... Until recently. Technology now allows scientists to cut-and-paste genes into organisms, genes that do not belong to that organism's basic genetic makeup. This is not the same as selecting desirable characteristics expressed by an organism and then breeding to enhance those characteristics.
While you claim there are no conclusive studies that prove that GMOs are harmful, there is most certainly enough anecdotal evidence to warrant caution in their introduction into the natural food supplies and uncontrolled propagation of such crops and animals. Just because some of the sources of information may have suspect motives does not mean we should dismiss the information out-of-hand.

"Genetically modified food has quietly become second nature in the U.S., and it may surprise you just how many foods you are eating that you never knew contained a genetically modified ingredient.

Experts say 60% to 70% of processed foods on U.S. grocery shelves have genetically modified ingredients. The most common genetically modified foods are soybeans, maize, cotton, and rapeseed oil. That means many foods made in the U.S. containing field corn or high-fructose corn syrup, such as many breakfast cereals, snack foods, and the last soda you drank; foods made with soybeans (including some baby foods); and foods made with cottonseed and canola oils could likely have genetically modified ingredients. These ingredients appear frequently in animal feed as well."
Genetically Modified Foods (Biotech Foods) Pros and Cons

"Genetically modified food has quietly become second nature in the U.S., and it may surprise you just how many foods you are eating that you never knew contained a genetically modified ingredient.

Experts say 60% to 70% of processed foods on U.S. grocery shelves have genetically modified ingredients. The most common genetically modified foods are soybeans, maize, cotton, and rapeseed oil. That means many foods made in the U.S. containing field corn or high-fructose corn syrup, such as many breakfast cereals, snack foods, and the last soda you drank; foods made with soybeans (including some baby foods); and foods made with cottonseed and canola oils could likely have genetically modified ingredients. These ingredients appear frequently in animal feed as well."

Can you honestly claim that Americans enjoy better health since this surreptitious introduction of GMOs in their nutritional resources? Despite all the research dedicated to many of the nutritionally-based diseases affecting our population, many are still increasing, why? The severe increase in food allergies and digestive disorders are of particular interest, not to mention rampant obesity. And despite the fact that our water and air are cleaner now than they were when GMOs first began to be of interest, we still see a significant increase in diseases that were much rarer at that time.

Diet and Disease | Food and Nutrition Information Center

Can you honestly claim that Americans enjoy better health since this surreptitious introduction of GMOs in their nutritional resources? Despite all the research dedicated to many of the nutritionally-based diseases affecting our population, many are still increasing, why? The severe increase in food allergies and digestive disorders are of particular interest, not to mention rampant obesity. And despite the fact that our water and air are cleaner now than they were when GMOs first began to be of interest, we still see a significant increase in diseases that were much rarer at that time.

Do you know what 'Easy Pass' is? No...not a stool softener.
It's a trasponder that allows one to pass through a toll booth without
stopping or paying cash....a real time saver.

I have a good friend who refused to get one because he believes
the government will be tracking him.
OK...so he stops and pays the toll.

If you have doubts about GM foods.....just as my friend does....
don't use the product.

don't use the product.

I personally avoid products with GMOs to the maximum extent possible. There are plenty of sources that list products that have GMO components, some that list those that do not have GMO components. What concerns me is the fact that GMOs don't stay where they are supposed to. They can cross-contaminate other crops and there is insufficient information about the consequences.

List Of Foods Containing Gmos | LIVESTRONG.COM

GMO Free Food List ? Nourished Kitchen

Non-GMO Shopping Guide

don't use the product.

I personally avoid products with GMOs to the maximum extent possible. There are plenty of sources that list products that have GMO components, some that list those that do not have GMO components. What concerns me is the fact that GMOs don't stay where they are supposed to. They can cross-contaminate other crops and there is insufficient information about the consequences.

List Of Foods Containing Gmos | LIVESTRONG.COM

GMO Free Food List ? Nourished Kitchen

Non-GMO Shopping Guide

Interesting.

Just today I heard an interview with an exec from Fairway Market, who mentioned that 3% of grocery products sold are 'organic."

You probably try to use 'organics' as a hedge against GM products....

But the exec went on to state that 30% of families say they use organic products....what ever that is.....

So, it seems for most, organics is something they speak of but don't actually use.....

Most products today are GM....and life expectancy keeps climbing.

Forum List

Back