Did you hear about the Great American Take Out Day ?

Already doing it. Standing in the local Mexican restaurant waiting for takeout in a room where I usually sit and eat, gave me time to look around the place and notice, for the first time, that the entire place is festooned in every surface and corner with the word CORONA. Flag banners draped from the ceiling. Neon signs. Cardboad signs. Plastic signs. Everywhere. Been in there a hundred times and never saw it before.

This kind of reminds me of something that happened years ago. Our local hardware store was going out of business. I had a discussion with the owner. He told me that the new Home Depot that opened up at the time took all his loyal customers.

A few weeks later, I was making a delivery to a customer of ours, who had a worker that lived in my area. He brought up the closing of the store, and said how disappointed he was at the owner.

So I asked him "out of the last five times you needed hardware, where did you go?" He said "Home Depot." I just looked at him and said "That's why our hardware store is going out of business." He just put his head down and walked away.

Whether you deal with Amazon, big box stores, franchises, we are putting our mom and pop stores out of business. The kings of businesses didn't do that--we did, the consumers.

Now more than ever, our small businesses need our support. I just hope we are smart and aware enough to do that. Because if we don't, they will have no choice but to close up.

Forum List

Back