Dayan In 1976: Israel Took Golan Out Of Greed

Here's some background on the Six Day War from a reliable and honorable source.

May 04, 1997

TEL AVIV - — Thirty years after Israel conquered the Golan Heights from Syria, in what Israelis have said was an entirely defensive operation, the defense minister at the time, Moshe Dayan, has been quoted as saying that the capture was largely the product of greed.

In frank and startling conversations held in 1976 and printed for the first time last week, Dayan is quoted as saying that kibbutz leaders from Galilee persuaded the prime minister at the time, Levi Eshkol, to attack the Golan on the fourth day of the 1967 Six-Day War because they wanted the land.

The standard Israeli justification for the battle of the Golan has been that Syrian troops had been relentlessly shelling Israelis and that the situation had grown intolerable.

This is what Dayan said nine years later:

"The Syrians opposite them were soldiers who shot at them, and they certainly didn't like that. But I can say with absolute certainty that the delegation that came to convince Eshkol to ascend the Golan did not think about these things. They thought about the land of the Golan.

"I know what went on. I saw them and I spoke with them. They didn't even try to hide their lust for that soil. That's what guided them."

Those and other of Dayan's thoughts were set down on paper in 1976 by Rami Tal as they sat in Dayan's Tel Aviv garden. Tal, now a senior editor at the publishing house for the newspaper Yediot Aharonot, asked permission to record Dayan's words.

Dayan agreed on condition that they not be published without his permission. Tal, who printed them in Yediot Aharonot's Passover supplement last week, said that after Dayan died in 1981, the transcripts sat in a drawer for 15 years.

Last year, he showed them to Yossi Ginossar, a former high official in the Shin Bet security service and a confidant of Dayan's who urged that they be published. Tal sought permission from Dayan's daughter, Yael, who also agreed they were of great historical importance and should be published.

Apart from his assertion about the cause of the Golan battle, Dayan also spoke of the Syrian attacks on the Israeli kibbutzim and asserted that they were the result of Israeli aggression.

Continued

Notice what’s NOT there? Nasser closing the Straits to Israel and BRAGGING to the world he was going to destroy the “ Zionist entity “. 🇮🇱

Nasser's army was in Yemen fighting the civil war from 1962-1970.

Nasser had called for a summit to discuss the straits of Tiran and find a solution.

ISRAELI HERO REGRETTED ACTIONS ON GOLAN, HEBRON, WRITER SAYS
Discounting claims of the Golan Heights' strategic value, war hero Moshe Dayan once told a reporter that Israel took the plateau from Syria simply because Israelis wanted it for farmland.

Dayan ranked his 1967 decisions to capture the Golan and allow Jews to return to Hebron as his two greatest mistakes as defense minister, the legendary Israeli ...

continued

Nasser had called for a summit to discuss the straits of Tiran and find a solution.
Why do you lie denying Nasser closed the Straits? Keep asking you what the “ purpose “ of the “ summit “ was and there is no response

Why do you lie denying Nasser closed the Straits? Keep asking you what the “ purpose “ of the “ summit “ was and there is no response
Look at context you idiot.

Israel provoke Syria, Lebanon and Egypt for a decade..
They wanted more land

The United Arab Republic had a good legal case for restricting traffic through the Strait of Tiran. First it is debatable whether international law confers any right of innocent passage through such a waterway.... [Secondly]... a right of innocent passage is not a right of free passage for any cargo at any time. In the words of the Convention on the Territorial Sea: 'Passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order, or security of the coastal state... taking the facts as they were I, as an international lawyer, would rather defend before the International Court of Justice the legality of the U.A.R's action in closing the Strait of Tiran than to argue the other side of the case...[33]

Look at context you idiot.

Israel provoke Syria, Lebanon and Egypt for a decade..
They wanted more land
You’re the Moron. STILL can’t answer my questions Keep Lying, making a fool of yourself and denying Nasser closed the Straits STILL can’t tell us what the purpose of the “ Summit “ was

You’re the Moron. STILL can’t answer my questions Keep Lying, making a fool of yourself and denying Nasser closed the Straits STILL can’t tell us what the purpose of the “ Summit “ was
The United Arab Republic had a good legal case for restricting traffic through the Strait of Tiran. First it is debatable whether international law confers any right of innocent passage through such a waterway.... [Secondly]... a right of innocent passage is not a right of free passage for any cargo at any time. In the words of the Convention on the Territorial Sea: 'Passage is innocent so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order, or security of the coastal state... taking the facts as they were I, as an international lawyer, would rather defend before the International Court of Justice the legality of the U.A.R's action in closing the Strait of Tiran than to argue the other side of the case...[33]

May 04, 1997

TEL AVIV - — Thirty years after Israel conquered the Golan Heights from Syria, in what Israelis have said was an entirely defensive operation, the defense minister at the time, Moshe Dayan, has been quoted as saying that the capture was largely the product of greed.

In frank and startling conversations held in 1976 and printed for the first time last week, Dayan is quoted as saying that kibbutz leaders from Galilee persuaded the prime minister at the time, Levi Eshkol, to attack the Golan on the fourth day of the 1967 Six-Day War because they wanted the land.

The standard Israeli justification for the battle of the Golan has been that Syrian troops had been relentlessly shelling Israelis and that the situation had grown intolerable.

"The Syrians opposite them were soldiers who shot at them, and they certainly didn't like that. But I can say with absolute certainty that the delegation that came to convince Eshkol to ascend the Golan did not think about these things. They thought about the land of the Golan.

"I know what went on. I saw them and I spoke with them. They didn't even try to hide their lust for that soil. That's what guided them."

Those and other of Dayan's thoughts were set down on paper in 1976 by Rami Tal as they sat in Dayan's Tel Aviv garden. Tal, now a senior editor at the publishing house for the newspaper Yediot Aharonot, asked permission to record Dayan's words.

Dayan agreed on condition that they not be published without his permission. Tal, who printed them in Yediot Aharonot's Passover supplement last week, said that after Dayan died in 1981, the transcripts sat in a drawer for 15 years.

Last year, he showed them to Yossi Ginossar, a former high official in the Shin Bet security service and a confidant of Dayan's who urged that they be published. Tal sought permission from Dayan's daughter, Yael, who also agreed they were of great historical importance and should be published.

Apart from his assertion about the cause of the Golan battle, Dayan also spoke of the Syrian attacks on the Israeli kibbutzim and asserted that they were the result of Israeli aggression.

Continued

That was awesome.
I guess Syria won't screw up like that again, eh?

He picked a bad time to fuck around and find out.
At least the troops in Yemen didn't get their asses kicked by Israel.

Maybe he shouldn't have blockaded the straits and talked so tough? What a loser.

Please tell us why “ International Law” is debatable. “ Please tell us how Israel was using the Straits in a “ confrontational way” Why did he send the UN “ peacekeepers “ away? He knew there would be a problem and he got it

May 04, 1997

Continued

Forum List

Back