Did Bill Clinton sign NAFTA?

Well. Did he?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Video: 12/17/1992: Pres. Bush Signs NAFTA

Clinton signed the initial agreement, but by the time it was ratified, he was no longer in office.
Not so.

NAFTA was signed by President George H.W.

Bush, Mexican President Salinas, and Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney in 1992. It was ratified by the legislatures of the three countries in 1993. The U.S. House of Representatives approved it by 234 to 200 on November 17, 1993. The U.S. Senate approved it by 60 to 38 on November 20, three days later.

It was finally signed into law by President Bill Clinton on December 8, 1993 and entered force January 1, 1994. Although it was signed by President Bush, it was a priority of President Clinton's, and its passage is considered one of his first successes. (Source: History.com, NAFTA Signed into Law, December 8, 1993)

What Is the History and Purpose of NAFTA?

and we have a winner.the chess game is over and you checkmated him.
:thup::udaman:

that proves what I remember hearing back then to be true that Bush sr drew up the plan and his pal Clinton signed it into law.:thup:

this guy is a government paid shill sent here by his handlers

LOL....As if the government would send anyone to derail the discussions of the 37,911 members of this forum. I'm sorry, but it takes more "Taylor Coleridge" than I can muster to presume this place rates that high on the radar screens of anyone who matters in politics. LOL

Wasn't nafta started by bush sr?
started, yes

Completed by WJC
Don't you wish everyone would have listened to that crazy bastard running around warning about the huge sucking sound as jobs left the country if NAFTA was enacted. I believe it was Ross Perot?

I voted for him.

Made more sense than Bush or Clinton

very smart decision the fact that he was not part of the roundtable group the CFR and had no connections to the CIA. I remember hearing back then how he dropped out because of death threats to his family. No surprise there.Thats how the CIA operates.

LOL....As if the government would send anyone to derail the discussions of the 37,911 members of this forum. I'm sorry, but it takes more "Taylor Coleridge" than I can muster to presume this place rates that high on the radar screens of anyone who matters in politics. LOL

okay feed the shill,that is your choice,the troll defends the governments actions all the time constantly everyday so its pretty obvious he is on their payroll. again that is your choice if you want to feed him and waste your time on him though.they got shills like him everywhere on message boards.there are plenty more just like him on this forum wheter you realise it or not.

Oh, hell. Nevermind. I just realized you're among our society's conspiracy theorists.

Wasn't nafta started by bush sr?

It was Reagan's idea.

Clinton signed it with Hillary's endorsement.
hillary was first lady at the time, her endorsement carried no weight.
Other than her agreeing with it and thinking it was a good idea, she is no more to blame for it than you or I.

hillary's famous quote:
'two for the price of one'

She had influence. She supported NAFTA. She can not be rewarded for doing so.

Republicans don't understand the difference between signing a treaty and signing legislation. NAFTA was a treaty signed by the United States, Mexico and Canada in a very public and historic signing.

Once your country gives it's word with the support of the president and the support of both parties, it's difficult to go back on it. I mean difficult for normal people. For Republicans, what does your "word" even mean? It's only a word.

Republicans don't understand the difference between signing a treaty and signing legislation. NAFTA was a treaty signed by the United States, Mexico and Canada in a very public and historic signing.

Once your country gives it's word with the support of the president and the support of both parties, it's difficult to go back on it. I mean difficult for normal people. For Republicans, what does your "word" even mean? It's only a word.

Once your country gives it's word with the support of the president and the support of both parties, it's difficult to go back on it.

Like Obama signing Climate Change agreements in Paris? LOL!

Bush, who had worked to "fast track" the signing prior to the end of his term, ran out of time and had to pass the required ratification and signing of the implementation law to incoming president Bill Clinton. Prior to sending it to the United States Senate Clinton added two side agreements, The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC) and the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC), to protect workers and the environment.

Yes, Bill let us liberals down when he signed NAFTA, but where were you Republicans back then? You were for NAFTA. So shut the fuck up now please.

In fact your party still loves free trade. Can you show me one Republican who doesn't like NAFTA? I mean besides Trump who'll say anything.

PS. More Republicans signed NAFTA in the Senate and the House than did Democrats. So not only did Republicans invent NAFTA, they pushed it and more of them signed it than Democrats. But you guys keep saying BUT CLINTON SIGNED IT! It only shows how intellectually dishonest you guys are.

Once your country gives it's word with the support of the president and the support of both parties, it's difficult to go back on it.

After much consideration and emotional discussion, the House of Representatives passed the North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act on November 17, 1993, 234-200. The agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and 102 Democrats. The bill passed the Senate on November 20, 1993, 61-38.[6] Senate supporters were 34 Republicans and 27 Democrats.

Bush, who had worked to "fast track" the signing prior to the end of his term, ran out of time and had to pass the required ratification and signing of the implementation law to incoming president Bill Clinton. Prior to sending it to the United States Senate Clinton added two side agreements, The North American Agreement on Labor Cooperation (NAALC) and the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation (NAAEC), to protect workers and the environment.

Yes, Bill let us liberals down when he signed NAFTA, but where were you Republicans back then? You were for NAFTA. So shut the fuck up now please.

In fact your party still loves free trade. Can you show me one Republican who doesn't like NAFTA? I mean besides Trump who'll say anything.

PS. More Republicans signed NAFTA in the Senate and the House than did Democrats. So not only did Republicans invent NAFTA, they pushed it and more of them signed it than Democrats. But you guys keep saying BUT CLINTON SIGNED IT! It only shows how intellectually dishonest you guys are.
actually the voters were not behind NAFTA.
But that being said this reminds me of that bailout that "Bush" signed right before the dark mistake took office.
Bush didnt want to sign it, it was during the last two years of his admin when he had a democrat congress to deal with, the democrats all started crying about putting millions out of work if the auto industry failed, Even Ed Schultz kept attacking President Bush on his retards for the left radio show. obama asked Bush to sign it so the money would be allocated already when he took office and he could start giving away the bailouts right away.
So, Bush signed it.
Naturally, the democrats a couple years later all started pointing at Bush as the one that did the bailouts, as if they didnt want it in the first place.
Liberals, once again show their retardation and hypocrisy.

After much consideration and emotional discussion, the House of Representatives passed the North American Free Trade Agreement Implementation Act on November 17, 1993, 234-200. The agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and 102 Democrats. The bill passed the Senate on November 20, 1993, 61-38.[6] Senate supporters were 34 Republicans and 27 Democrats.

Yup, President Clinton and the Dem controlled House and Senate passed and signed NAFTA.

Yup, President Clinton and the Dem controlled House and Senate passed and signed NAFTA.

But more GOP signed it than Democrats???

Fact is, you can't pretend Republicans wouldn't have signed/passed NAFTA and there's no evidence they're against it now so you're a man without a party

Forum List

Back