Detroit parents want teachers, officials jailed over low test scores

Professor Ainscow represents the progressive wing, the one responsible for the state of education today.

His groups' aims include:
•To empower students in making continued advancements in education and enhance their experience.
•To encourage proactive teaching practices for instructors.
•To support institutions in gaining global credibility for their exceptional performance and academic advancements.
•To help parents make the right decision for their child, by providing a diverse range of institutions with key comparative metrics, reviews and ratings.
•To nurture entrepreneurs and business organizations in making further investments in the progression and development of the education sector.
•Empower students to rise and gain recognition for their attributed capabilities, be it in academics, athletics or other extraordinary abilities.

Sounds good...

Professor West is also on the board of IQEA.

Have you seen this:

"Generations of children have been let down by so-called progressive education policies which have taught skills and "empathy" instead of bodies of knowledge, the shadow education secretary, Michael Gove, said yesterday."
"A Conservative government would reinstate traditional styles of fact-based lessons, he told teachers at a conference at Brighton College in Sussex yesterday. It privileges temporary relevance over a permanent body of knowledge which should be passed on from generation to generation ..” Children being failed by progressive teaching, say Tories | Education | The Guardian

I imagine what's key is that all interested parties be on the same page (pardon the cliche). But generally there is a huge disconnect from top down. My biggest gripe is attendance. It is impossible to have a continuity of learning when students only come to school a few days a week. And that is out of my control. Yet when I mention truancy enforcement to the higher ups, I am insulted by comments like "maybe if you made learning fun, they'd want to be here". My students are 18-20 years old. Fun for them will never include the classroom. Sheez.

I can't count the number of times I've heard similar statements from teachers who do not get support, and are blamed for inadequacies in students/parents.

In NYC a teacher can no longer use attendance in grading.

The system is not working.

Possibly if our political system was not under the control of labor unions...

just a dream.

Instead of being "confident" how about you do some research, provide some data before you smear those millions of us who homeschool.

After all, research is what we teach our children to do.
Hit a nerve did I?
Did not mean to disparage you efforts to teach your children.
However, the results in the study YOU posted showed a marginal increase for home schooling.
We know a parent who home schools has the following advantages over a pubic school teacher
1) Interested parent.
2) Small class size
3) Greatly increased freedom to enforce discipline
Since all the above independently increase student performance, the increase performance from home schooling in the report YOU cited is insignificant. Do you not know what it means to "isolate" factors in a scientific study. Must make it hard for YOU to adequately home school in any science.

Home schooling was proposed as a panacea cure, much like school vouchers by the market force fans, even though the most casual observer should realize that universal home schooling will fail abjectly in too many cases.

Homeschooling is an interesting idea. I know going through all the math books again when I have kids in HS would even help me out and I'm a college educated fella who does the mathematics at my place of employment. So there is the side benefit of educating the adults involved.

Not that I would like all parents to try to educate their young.

Interesting statistics btw.

Arresting school or for that matter any public official for corruption after its been committed is obvious. Theft is theft.

How to fix inner city public education? I've thought everything from eliminating private schools where the children of motivated parents can be sent to hide to disbanding schools that don't meet standards.

One thing I do support. Let a 3rd party independently test the students to see if they've retained enough to enter the next grade sending those who fail too many times in for special education.

Charter Schools work well in NYC. Keep the Federal participation minimal. Public Schools will always serve Their first interest best, that's Bureaucracy, payroll and compensation.

Of course there will be nothing to charge them with. That's how dumb these parents are. But there have been many allegations of corruption by the business administrators The money has not been getting to the kids. My guess is next year, the test will be dumbed down so everyone passes.

What kind of parent doesn't know their kid can't read?.

The kind that doesn't give a shit and expects everyone else to do their job for them.

Exactly. And it is just more of the same for these parents to expect someone who only sees their kids 5 days a week for maybe an hour each day to financially or criminally pay for their own lack of parenting.

Instead of being "confident" how about you do some research, provide some data before you smear those millions of us who homeschool.

After all, research is what we teach our children to do.
Hit a nerve did I?
Did not mean to disparage you efforts to teach your children.
However, the results in the study YOU posted showed a marginal increase for home schooling.
We know a parent who home schools has the following advantages over a pubic school teacher
1) Interested parent.
2) Small class size
3) Greatly increased freedom to enforce discipline
Since all the above independently increase student performance, the increase performance from home schooling in the report YOU cited is insignificant. Do you not know what it means to "isolate" factors in a scientific study. Must make it hard for YOU to adequately home school in any science.

Home schooling was proposed as a panacea cure, much like school vouchers by the market force fans, even though the most casual observer should realize that universal home schooling will fail abjectly in too many cases.

This puny list that you provide is a rather diaphanous attempt to scurry away, tail between your legs, from the "ignorant buffoon" aspersions that you tried to cast.

Let's review.
1. Homeschooling results in students who actually do better as measured by several standardized tests, and anecdotal statements by college and university administrators, than those produced by "professional" "educators" in the progressive system imposed by left-wing academicians.

Or would you care to repeat the "ignorant buffoons" claim?

2. The best you could do as far as supporting spurious comments, programmed into you, is mumble "We know a parent who home schools ..."

3. You validate the axiom that "for liberals, feeling passes for knowing."

4. You have failed to recognize the care and love, and actual concern for learning behind homeschooling.

You're dismissed.

Detroit -- Impassioned parents demanded jail time for educators and district officials Saturday following the release of test scores that showed fourth- and eighth-graders had the worst math scores in the nation.

City students took the National Assessment of Educational Progress test this year, and 69 percent of fourth-graders scored below the basic level in math and 77 percent of eighth-graders scored below basic.

The Detroit scores on the progress test were the lowest in its 40-year history. The sample of students included 900 of Detroit's 6,000 fourth-graders and 1,000 of the district's 6,000 eighth-graders.

Sharlonda Buckman, CEO of the Detroit Parent Network, called for jailing and civil lawsuits against anyone in the city's educational system that is not doing his or her share to help properly educate children.

"Somebody needs to go to jail," she said in a tearful address to 500 parents gathered Saturday for the organization's annual breakfast forum. "Somebody needs to pay for this. Somebody needs to go to jail, and it shouldn't be the kids."

Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb told the crowd the test scores weren't the result of children who were incompetent or parents who didn't care. He blamed the scores on the district not doing its job.

Detroit parents want DPS teachers, officials jailed over low test scores | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Comments?

If people want to blame someone for their child's failings, they should firstly look in the mirror.

Detroit -- Impassioned parents demanded jail time for educators and district officials Saturday following the release of test scores that showed fourth- and eighth-graders had the worst math scores in the nation.

City students took the National Assessment of Educational Progress test this year, and 69 percent of fourth-graders scored below the basic level in math and 77 percent of eighth-graders scored below basic.

The Detroit scores on the progress test were the lowest in its 40-year history. The sample of students included 900 of Detroit's 6,000 fourth-graders and 1,000 of the district's 6,000 eighth-graders.

Sharlonda Buckman, CEO of the Detroit Parent Network, called for jailing and civil lawsuits against anyone in the city's educational system that is not doing his or her share to help properly educate children.

"Somebody needs to go to jail," she said in a tearful address to 500 parents gathered Saturday for the organization's annual breakfast forum. "Somebody needs to pay for this. Somebody needs to go to jail, and it shouldn't be the kids."

Detroit Public Schools Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb told the crowd the test scores weren't the result of children who were incompetent or parents who didn't care. He blamed the scores on the district not doing its job.

Detroit parents want DPS teachers, officials jailed over low test scores | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Comments?

If people want to blame someone for their child's failings, they should firstly look in the mirror.

They are the product of the DNC environment that has been saving them for generations now. The only requirement for them is to show up on Election Day and support Their Keeper! Everything else is forgivable.

They are the product of the DNC environment that has been saving them for generations now. The only requirement for them is to show up on Election Day and support Their Keeper! Everything else is forgivable.

It is one of the things that seriously pisses me off about parents - they want to blame anyone but themselves.

Nothing about this story surprises me.

Not one thing.

Me neither.

I read every post in the thread, and decided this one came closest to my own thoughts.

Parents, globally, given the opportunity to blame ANYONE, or ANYTHING for their child's shortcommings, will ALWAYS do it. (with the possible exception of the Japanese Parent who would commit ritual suicide if their kid made a "C")

Mother whose son just shot down a classroom full of kindergardners will blame "society" for her son's action.

I was curious about the Test:

I wondered why Detroit is giving this test? The test that really matters doesn't sample 1/6 of the eigth graders in one district. The ONLY test that matters is the Federally Mandated (NCLB), Michigan STATEWIDE test given to practically EVERY STUDENT in the STATE!

So why give this test? Nothing better to do?:confused:

Hmmm.......I wonder how we can tell if people are not doing "his or her share?"

My first choice would be him and her that are consuming resources, time, and energy to administer and grade a meaningless test.:cuckoo:

And, I suspect Sharlonda, CEO of the Detroit Parent Network, had something to do with the testing.

Last edited:

It is one of the things that seriously pisses me off about parents - they want to blame anyone but themselves.

That is the First Commandment of The DNC! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Comments?

Maybe the parents should be jailed for raising stupid little children who don't like to read, study and are disruptive in class!:eek:

Considering that nearly the only children left in Detroit are likely living in poverty, there are multiple strikes going here. Detroit is failing and is nearly an abandoned city. Jobs? Nope. What sort of teachers are left there? Obviously not highly qualified.

I don't know what the school budget is like or class sizes. In general children from lower income homes are not likely to have 'enriched' backgrounds that include regular visits to the library, museums, other cultural experiences. Parents are less likely to be supportive of homework and involved with schools. Question then becomes, can the schools help foster of love of learning and a sense of possibility for future learning? Field trips help, but require busing and other costs involved. Is the money there?

Very true, but in desperate times comes desperate measures. Parents should work with their children.

4. You have failed to recognize the care and love, and actual concern for learning behind homeschooling.
You really need top learn how to read statistics with a critical eye. The people preparing that report were supportive of Home-schooling as a panacea cure-all. It would certainly benefit childless couples as well as those with grown children - they would have a big tax burden removed. However I would hope that even an "Ignorant Buffoon" like yourself would realize many parents are not up to the job of providing adequate home schooling.
Or are you so upset because you realize your children might have done better with a competent teacher instead of you?

You really need top learn how to read statistics with a critical eye. The people preparing that report were supportive of Home-schooling as a panacea cure-all. It would certainly benefit childless couples as well as those with grown children - they would have a big tax burden removed. However I would hope that even an "Ignorant Buffoon" like yourself would realize many parents are not up to the job of providing adequate home schooling.
Or are you so upset because you realize your children might have done better with a competent teacher instead of you?

"You really need top learn how to read statistics ..."
You really need to learn how to spell, and/or type. Perhaps you would have benefited from homeschooling.
But that's for children whose parents care...

Since you have changed the subject, and dropped the "Ignorant Buffoons" re: homeschoolers, I'll assume that you have learned your lesson.

You really need to learn how to spell, and/or type.
People reduced to challenging someone on typographical errors have generally lost it.
But I guess Homeschooled kids don't get out a lot.

Since you have changed the subject, and dropped the "Ignorant Buffoons" re: homeschoolers, I'll assume that you have learned your lesson.
Yes I learned you are an ignorant buffoon and thought it needed no more comment.

Homeschooling has only gained acceptance as an alternative because of the decline in public education. Your complete inability to realize how easily statistics can be manipulated to garner support for whatever view the statistician hold is a appalling, but hardly unanticipated.

obviously the only answer is to take the Detroit black students to surrounding white communities and let them invade the functioning white schools for as long as it takes for the whites to flee even farther away. rinse and repeat.

You really need to learn how to spell, and/or type.
People reduced to challenging someone on typographical errors have generally lost it.
But I guess Homeschooled kids don't get out a lot.

Yes I learned you are an ignorant buffoon and thought it needed no more comment.

Homeschooling has only gained acceptance as an alternative because of the decline in public education. Your complete inability to realize how easily statistics can be manipulated to garner support for whatever view the statistician hold is a appalling, but hardly unanticipated.

Hit a nerve did I?

Forum List

Back