DeSantis signs controversial bill banning kids under 14 from opening social media accounts

Almost sounds like the groomer crowd is upset they won't have access to Florida children.
I'm as Conservative as they come, but the State has no business deciding what is ultimately the parents responsibility. That being said if Florida wants to put this bill up for the voters to decide I'm all for that.

I didn't say it was. But I prefer letting the parents decide for their children.
Sure but we don’t use that standard for all kinds of things

Booze
Tobacco
Tattoos
Titty bars
Abortions
Etc.

You can’t even buy or possess booze or tobacco as an adult you have to be 21. You can definitely make the argument that a Facebook account is more dangerous to a 14 year old than a beer.

Sure but we don’t use that standard for all kinds of things

Booze
Tobacco
Tattoos
Titty bars
Abortions
Etc.

You can’t even buy or possess booze or tobacco as an adult you have to be 21. You can definitely make the argument that a Facebook account is more dangerous to a 14 year old than a beer.

Can a parent serve alcohol to their minor children?

Good. I watched a video from the UK the other day, it was a quiz show and they asked "what's the age at which more than 50% of kids have a smart phone" and the answer was 7.

Absolutely ridiculous. What will happen to kids who grow up with this, then become parents? They'll be bad parents. And then those kids will be worse and worse and worse down the line.
That's what they said about TV.

No decent parent would let children have social media access, let alone even a smartphone until after their brains have developed more.

I watched that video and he is absolutely correct. During brain maturation, especially during puberty, internet and social media stuff can wreck a child's mind.

Social media is ones of mans worst inventions. And the monetization of it made it even worse. In moderation it's fine but it has become and addiction and a way of life for so many people that it's just a destructive thing, especially for children.

I wish the fucking fascist right would stay the living fuck out of peoples lives. I wish they gave a single fuck about individual rights and freedom as they whine about but that is just a crock of shit. They're only small government when it comes to helping people and giving a damn about people.
All we have to do is leave government money out of any problems, diseases and such. And the small government spiel is old. We do not have small government. We must avoid out of control government.

Would you like to see a law for that as well?

Sort of funny how conservatives say that the government should just leave them all the heck alone one moment, but the next they say oh yeah but they should outlaw this and this. So which is it? Asking as a conservative myself btw.

Second, the SCOTUS has already ruled in many H.S. cases, that student run papers, have no first Amendment rights, Nor do children have Constitutional rights, they are the charges of their parents & guardians, when kids disagree on parenting decisions based on the Constitution . . or at least this had always been my understanding.
The government’s ability to regulate the speech of children is far from unlimited. An 8-1 SCOTUS decision a few years ago recognized the first amendment rights of a student.

“With the state preparing for a legal challenge from the tech industry, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a controversial bill aimed at keeping children off social-media platforms.

“You better believe, I am going to fight like hell to uphold this in court,” Attorney General Ashley Moody said during a bill-signing event in Jacksonville.

Lawmakers this month overwhelmingly passed the bill (HB 3), which House Speaker Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, made a priority of the annual legislative session. The bill, in part, seeks to prevent children under age 16 from opening social-media accounts on at least some platforms — though it would allow parents to give consent for 14- and 15-year-olds to have accounts. Children under 14 could not open accounts.”

Children should not have access to all social spaces.
What's the controversial part?

Sort of funny how conservatives say that the government should just leave them all the heck alone one moment, but the next they say oh yeah but they should outlaw this and this. So which is it? Asking as a conservative myself btw.
You think this sort of regulation goes against conservative principles and values?

I wish the fucking fascist right would stay the living fuck out of peoples lives. I wish they gave a single fuck about individual rights and freedom as they whine about but that is just a crock of shit. They're only small government when it comes to helping people and giving a damn about people.
You've got a lot of anger. You should probably log off and take a walk in a nearby park.

I'm as Conservative as they come, but the State has no business deciding what is ultimately the parents responsibility. That being said if Florida wants to put this bill up for the voters to decide I'm all for that.
Then parents should be able to open accounts for their kids under their own accounts. Giving the parents full access until the child turns 18. At which point the child's account would revert to an adult account and the parent would lose access.

Creating social media accounts is entering into a contract, that's what the EULA is all about. We don't allow children to enter any other types of contracts, so why not apply it to social media?

Yeah, political hypocrisy at its finest.

I don’t think children should have internet and social media either but I’m sure as hell not supporting a law requiring it. That’s up to parents. And I do think it’s bad parenting to give them unrestricted access to all that at a young age. Can be very damaging

I don’t think children should have internet and social media either but I’m sure as hell not supporting a law requiring it. That’s up to parents. And I do think it’s bad parenting to give them unrestricted access to all that at a young age. Can be very damaging

Especially with websites like this one.

Forum List

Back