More actions from the Nanny State...banning kids under 13 from all social media.

What the fuck do those things have to do with a law banning kids from social media?

Can't you fucking people stay on topic at all?
since a 12 year old can’t legally enter a contract they can’t agree to a social media terms and conditions…thus they should be banned

since a 12 year old can’t legally enter a contract they can’t agree to a social media terms and conditions…thus they should be banned

And how will the Fed Govt enforce this?

Well said

Golfing Gator seems oblivious to the harm kids are experiencing through social media platforms
A lot of these sites already have minimum age requirements (not that people don’t lie, but that’s another topic). And weren’t these same morons screeching about cyber bullying and similar issues not that long ago?

Is there an age limit here at the Forum? I sometimes wonder what the age of some who post here are.

So, how does this get enforced?

I imagine they're maneuvering to get folks used to the idea of having to present a digital form of ID to join social media.

Alternatively, if a person is 50 and wants to open up a new social media account, will they have to prove they aren't twelve? Seems likely. How convenient...

It should be noted it is a Bipartisan effort as both parties support a larger nanny state.

Yep. that's always the way it is.

And, coincidentally, most tyrannies of this type always seem to be ''for the chidrens.''

A lot of these sites already have minimum age requirements (not that people don’t lie, but that’s another topic). And weren’t these same morons screeching about cyber bullying and similar issues not that long ago?
I think its just a political football for lib/moderate players

Conservatives, repubs, MAGAs worry about the bad influence of the internet

And thats all the libbies have to hear to take the other side

there aren’t 14 year olds on Facebook? really?

Of course they are, because they lied to FB

So, one more time how is the US Fed Govt going to enforce this law?

What will the punishment be for a 12 year old caught looking at FB?

Maybe the answer isn’t banning but setting more guardrails through regulation and letting parents do the rest. Socila media is one of the most unregulated areas and we are only just beginning to realize the harm it causes.
I think parents today have too many responsibilities where children online are concerned. If a child causes another child to commit hari-Kari by verbally abusing them, the parents are under the gun for negligence.

It's insane to demand parents to control children online. The only answer is to reverse identification with a sensor that can determine the user's age and whether bullying is going on to alert an automatic ban that alerts the panty police I guess. I bet someone here could come up with a more feasible plan than me because I haven't had children around since the mid-eighties when my youngest graduated from school. She hated being told what she could and could not do when she was 10 years old, and I am not surprised she moved out the day after she turned 18. And she made sure nobody in the family knows where she lived after that. One of her teachers taught minors to ditch their family ties. This I know, because other parents in our school system area had the same problem. We grow too soon old and too late smart. * sigh *

I think parents today have too many responsibilities where children online are concerned. If a child causes another child to commit hari-Kari by verbally abusing them, the parents are under the gun for negligence.

It's insane to demand parents to control children online.
Is it insane to demand that parents raise children who aren't monsters? I'm all for the movement to hold parents more accountable for the violence they unleash on the world in the form of their children.

DeSantis' token law has nothing to do with that, of course. He's just giving the culture warriors a hand job.

Last edited:
Maybe the answer isn’t banning but setting more guardrails through regulation and letting parents do the rest. Socila media is one of the most unregulated areas and we are only just beginning to realize the harm it causes.
Well then, let's find out all the harm regulation causes! Go team!

Yep. that's always the way it is.

And, coincidentally, most tyrannies of this type always seem to be ''for the chidrens.''
Yep. The refrain of statist scoundrels. The unstated premise, of course, is that we're all "children" when it comes to their vision of government.

Your kids may finally have to put their phone down after a bipartisan group of senators introduced legislation to set age restrictions on social media.

The lawmakers introduced a bill Wednesday that bans children younger than 13 from using social media platforms and requires parental consent for those between the ages of 13 and 17.

The move is among the first major bipartisan effort in Congress to restrict platforms for children and comes after lawmakers have recently pushed to make online platforms safer for children, including efforts to ban TikTok and regulate Instagram.

So, how does this get enforced?

If a parent lets their 12 year old on Facebook, how will the Fed Govt know and what will the punishment be?

Is this really something the Fed Govt needs to be involved in?

It should be noted it is a Bipartisan effort as both parties support a larger nanny state.

The left:

Kids under 13 getting sex changes and abortions without parents permission: YAY!
Kids under 13 needing parents permission to be on adult social media: REEEEEEEEEEE!

Is it insane to demand that parents raise children who aren't monsters? I'm all for the movement to hold parents more accountable for the violence they unleash on the world in the form of their children.

DeSantis token law has nothing to do with that, of course. He's just giving the culture warriors a hand job.
Count your blessings that your family may never have been jinxed by a teacher who undermined every parent who had a child in his or her classroom where unthinkable ends are planned for their parents who had no idea their child was being brainwashed and told not to share anything outside of that classroom. That was decades ago, and My family is not the only ones who have a 50-year old offspring who has an address unknown to them since graduation. :cranky:

Count your blessings that your family may never have been jinxed by a teacher who undermined every parent who had a child in his or her classroom where unthinkable ends are planned for their parents who had no idea their child was being brainwashed and told not to share anything outside of that classroom. That was decades ago, and My family is not the only ones who have a 50-year old offspring who has an address unknown to them since graduation. :cranky:
I'm sorry to hear about your family's misfortune. I've had some to, and it sucks. But I don't think that really changes my argument.

A few weeks back, a bunch of thugs shot up a crowd in KC. Almost all of them were juveniles with guns. The parents of those kids should be put on trial. I'm not saying every parent who's kids fuck up is to blame, but often there is massive negligence involved and we should make people pay for the suffering they inflict on others, even if it's indirectly, through their children.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's misfortune. I've had some to, and it sucks. But I don't think that really changes my argument.

A few weeks back, a bunch of thugs shot up a crowd in KC. Almost all of them were juveniles with guns. The parents of those kids should be put on trial. I'm not saying every parent who's kids fuck up is to blame, but often there is massive negligence involved and we should make people pay for the suffering they inflict on others, even if it's indirectly, through their children.
Some parents are supporting their children with 2 jobs and may not know the kid found the key to the firearms safe. And kids with working parents do not always tell them of their plan of taking their guns to town because they know they'll get in trouble and deprived of a week's allowance which may not amount to much. IOW, some kids are sneaky whereas others would never even consider opening the lock to take a firecracker, much less a weapon to harm a foe.

I'm not a judge, but kids do stupid things for which the best parental effort may have failed, and at some point the errant child who knows better should not do dangerous things but will crater to a pal who can't wrap his mind around leaving well enough alone. At some point the child grows up because he has to. Hopefully it is before he takes another person to be his gun target that could ruin a family's trust. Luck sometimes thrives when guns are stored separated from their ammunition which is intentionally hidden properly.

Forum List

Back