Depression

Sky and US citizen, hats off for you to be able to talk so openly about depression. Many people aren't able to do that, like me..I really don't like talking about it. I have to say though there is a difference in depression which all of us get at traumatic moments in our life and clinical chronic depression which is an actual illness that needs serious and intensive treatment. I was diagnosed with depression, pills didn't help much they messed me up more than they helped me so I put them in the trash can and started dealing with it in a different way. Yes, political boards, face book things that keep me occupied. Looking in the mirror each morning and telling myself the positive things in my life and avoiding the negative ones. At age 13 when my grandparents got a divorce I did the try to kill myself with pills thing..it didn't work so well. When I was older as an adult and having to deal with my mom's death from cancer, the guilt I felt for her death and the fact that I was relieved when she died, a marriage that was on the rocks and other things...I tried again in 2001, this time cutting my wrists pretty deeply and actually getting both veins..I was dead serious when I did it, busted pictures and cut myself on purpose with the glass from those pictures...I cried and locked myself in the room really truly wanting it to just end. I don't think that way anymore..and that is with the stress of a divorce on me which is difficult, but I have my way of dealing with it...living is valuable to me and I know it. When I can't deal with my feelings I go for a long walk and sort it out. When I can't shake the blue feeling I play music that either makes me happy or relaxes me so I can take a nap. I talk on the phone, get on the computer, whatever as long as I stay busy. I do not take pills ever....and won't. Do I still get down about my mom being gone? Yeah a whole lot...just the other day bawled my eyes out on the phone with someone and she died in 1998 but it feels like yesterday to me. I am fine, I didn't win the battle yet...the day a person can actually say she beat depression is when I die from natural causes. You never beat depression, you just fight it and overcome it on a daily basis. I am done now..had my two cents and probably talked more about my personal life than I wanted to.

Sky and US citizen, hats off for you to be able to talk so openly about depression. Many people aren't able to do that, like me..I really don't like talking about it. I have to say though there is a difference in depression which all of us get at traumatic moments in our life and clinical chronic depression which is an actual illness that needs serious and intensive treatment. I was diagnosed with depression, pills didn't help much they messed me up more than they helped me so I put them in the trash can and started dealing with it in a different way. Yes, political boards, face book things that keep me occupied. Looking in the mirror each morning and telling myself the positive things in my life and avoiding the negative ones. At age 13 when my grandparents got a divorce I did the try to kill myself with pills thing..it didn't work so well. When I was older as an adult and having to deal with my mom's death from cancer, the guilt I felt for her death and the fact that I was relieved when she died, a marriage that was on the rocks and other things...I tried again in 2001, this time cutting my wrists pretty deeply and actually getting both veins..I was dead serious when I did it, busted pictures and cut myself on purpose with the glass from those pictures...I cried and locked myself in the room really truly wanting it to just end. I don't think that way anymore..and that is with the stress of a divorce on me which is difficult, but I have my way of dealing with it...living is valuable to me and I know it. When I can't deal with my feelings I go for a long walk and sort it out. When I can't shake the blue feeling I play music that either makes me happy or relaxes me so I can take a nap. I talk on the phone, get on the computer, whatever as long as I stay busy. I do not take pills ever....and won't. Do I still get down about my mom being gone? Yeah a whole lot...just the other day bawled my eyes out on the phone with someone and she died in 1998 but it feels like yesterday to me. I am fine, I didn't win the battle yet...the day a person can actually say she beat depression is when I die from natural causes. You never beat depression, you just fight it and overcome it on a daily basis. I am done now..had my two cents and probably talked more about my personal life than I wanted to.
Yes you can! You beat depression, the day you stopped letting it control your life, and now that you've done that, when it comes around, you can fight it off. You know you can, because you have. and you will! Don't ever stop believing that! Time cures many things, Xchel: pain, and loss, grief and sorrow. Believe me, I know.

I came home form Vietnam, pretty much intact on the outside, but broken inside. I had what we now know is PTSD. I'd wake up at night, sweating and shaking, and lie awake with the demons and ghosts in my head, If someone touched me while I was asleep, or approached me from behind, I'd go into fighting mode. I went through a string of broken relationships and two broken marriages. I pushed everyone around me away, until I ended up alone in a room, with a bottle of booze in one hand, and a gun in the other, deciding whether to live, or die. I started the long way back that night and all the things I thought I could never have again, I have now.

The pain and the memories and the nightmares are still there, and always will be; but they don't control me now; time has dulled them, and I can deal with the rest. Some days are better than others. Some days I'm sad, some days I still cry; but I'm healing, however slowly.

Sometimes, life drops us in a deep, dark hole. It's an awful, sad, and frightening place to be; and then we have a choice; we can dig that hole deeper, or we can scratch and claw and climb our way out, inch by inch. I decided to stop digging, and start climbing, and I'm glad you did too. If I could do it, so can you. Never give up; never, ever, give up.

Depressive episodes have blown my life up a number of times.

I've ended up designing a career based on the possibility that this will happen periodically.

Ohh pills can and often do help in the battle against depression, but without YOU working on it you will keep being depressed.
And yes it does matter in the sense that the commercial give people the impression that take the pill and cure depression. And some of the pills side effects can be severe in some people.
What do you consider "working with it"? I know plenty of people who worked with it their whole lives and died anyway.

I've personally known three.
chronic depression is a very serious disease !! and people that have never suffered from it will never understand what a debilitating disease it is !! medication is not the finite cure ....you have to combine medication with lifestyle changes like exercise,getting enough sleep,diet,and it is very,very important to get out of the house !!even if it's only to sit on the porch in the sunshine get out !! and find something you like to do like drawing,painting,or writing,ect...and remember you are not alone in your disease ,.............and no matter how bad things get you don't have to do anything to make it worse !!:eusa_angel:

What helps me the most is writing and service to others.

Depressive episodes have blown my life up a number of times.

I've ended up designing a career based on the possibility that this will happen periodically.

How does that work? Do you have a writing career?

I am medically retired because of them. I served almost 16 years. My Navy Doctor told me with the level of problems I had and being life long I should never have graduated from Boot Camp and I certainly should not have managed to make GySgt.
That is unusual.

My guess is you had a non-"grunt" MOS, something like Air Wing weapons tech, etc., which you could function in with minimal stress and make rank fast. But my frame of reference is the fifties and I understand the Corps is different today.

Anyway, I hope they find the right balance of medication for you.

Depression not lies not anyone, it lies almost everyone and everyone's family had depression, but i don't know one think why depression seems everywhere and everyone. What is the cure of depression.

Depression not lies not anyone, it lies almost everyone and everyone's family had depression, but i don't know one think why depression seems everywhere and everyone. What is the cure of depression.

There is a big difference between just 'being sad' and 'being depressed'.
Depression is a terrible thing to live with, and it's painful, in ways people can not imagine.

Anyone have this? It runs in my family.

When you have depression, it's more than feeling sad. Intense feelings of sadness and other symptoms, like losing interest in things you enjoy, may last for a while. Depression is a medical illness, not a sign of weakness. And it's treatable.............!

Anyone have this? It runs in my family.

When you have depression, it's more than feeling sad. Intense feelings of sadness and other symptoms, like losing interest in things you enjoy, may last for a while. Depression is a medical illness, not a sign of weakness. And it's treatable.............!

Thank goodness...but other forms of depression....such as bi-polar, which was once called manic-depression.....while it can also be "treated"...there is 'no cure'.

Well in my opinion depression is nothing. It is the creation of our own mind. It occurs when we think lot of about something. So we should avoid to take any depression because depression is not good for mind.

WTF??
*scratching head*---Come again??

Well in my opinion depression is nothing. It is the creation of our own mind. It occurs when we think lot of about something. So we should avoid to take any depression because depression is not good for mind.

Depression is not in the mind and it does exist it is very reall and is biological and chemical in nature. Ever heard of Seratonin? That is what controls your mood in the brain...when that gets out of wack people either become depressed or bipolar depending on what happens to them chemically....it isn't something a person controls on their own.

Forum List

Back