Dems want tax on "rich": Whoever they are

It's not just the Democrats who want higher taxes on the rich. Poll and poll over the past year or so has shown that about two-thirds of Americans want higher taxes on the rich, about the only economic policy Americans seem to have a clear majority on. Here is the latest. In this poll, even the majority of Republicans want higher taxes on the rich.

Cain Even With Romney on Economy for Republican Backers in Poll - Bloomberg

The good news in this poll is that an overwhelming majority think that the middle class will have to burden some of the pain of closing the deficit. However, they haven't quite come to terms on how or when.

The how is with an increase in taxes. The when is reserved until the middle class realizes an increase in income. If closing the gap between the wealthy and the middle class is accomplished, the middle class will, I think, accept an increase in taxes to Clinton-era levels.

The AMT was originally meant to punish a few families with high incomes and many deductions. Gradually inflation has increased that number to several million middle class people.
That is the model. "Tax the rich" means "tax everyone with an income" eventually.

Tax increases will not solve the problem. Deep structural cuts in government will. I dont mean cutting 10% across the board or anything like that. I mean a look at every program to decide whether it is effective, necessary, duplicative, or legal. Then eliminate that program or department entirely.

Just wanted to point out that the title of the thread is misleading...it's not just the Democrats that want to raise taxes on the uber wealthy...it's the American people by a majority.

Just wanted to point out that the title of the thread is misleading...it's not just the Democrats that want to raise taxes on the uber wealthy...it's the American people by a majority.

It's not the American people who want that, it's a minority of the left fringe that want it. It those who have there hand out. It's not those who actually work for their means of life

Much of the current disagreement stems from issues other than ideology. For Senators like Schumer who represent constituencies with a high cost of living, keeping the bar at which new taxes would kick in high is a parochial concern. For other Senators, their goal is to craft legislation that can pass, regardless of what tax policy their personal ideology points them towards.

Makes me think that perhaps income taxes shouldn't be bracketed strictly by income, but with a computational offset for cost of living. How could we do that?

The Fair Tax does exactly that.

It's not the American people who want that, it's a minority of the left fringe that want it. It those who have there hand out. It's not those who actually work for their means of life

You might want to check the latest public opinion polls, Skippy. Can you find a single one that does not find a majority supporting raising taxes on the wealthy?

You might want to check the latest public opinion polls, Skippy. Can you find a single one that does not find a majority supporting raising taxes on the wealthy?

Class warfare does sell, doesn't it seawytch?

It does. Just ask the GOP. They've been selling it for years.

"Welfare Queens in Cadillacs".

Of course the polls say raise the taxes on the wealthy.

Its raise taxes on anyone but me.

Wonder what the poll would say if the question was, "Lets raise taxes on everyone"

Doubt that one would get the approval of a majority of anyone.

So. Who can they successfully demonize/villianise in 2012? Don't ask the Democrats because they have no idea.

Democrats aim to tax the rich – but who are they? - latimes.com

Reporting from Washington—
President Obama and Democrats in Congress have aligned on a populist, "tax the rich" strategy for the 2012 campaign. Now they have to figure out exactly who that is.

The shift marked a victory for Democrats from parts of the country where the cost of living is high. Families earning $250,000 in their regions, lawmakers argued, look more like middle-class, dual-income worker bees than tony yacht owners.

"They are not rich," said Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), a leading proponent of the tax on wealthier people. "In large parts of the country, that kind of income does not get you a big home or lots of vacations or anything else that's associated with wealth in America."

But critics see a dangerous policy precedent in defining "the rich" by what they can buy, not by how their incomes compare with those of other taxpayers.

What they are really after is successful meme, rather than sound tax policy or responsible spending. This brings up the usual nagging question about the Democrat Party. When will they come up with a new idea? It's been decades.

:lol:

It is Republicans who classified them as rich when they simplified the tax brackets and lumped those making $250K a year in with those making $25 million

Wonder what the poll would say if the question was, "Lets raise taxes on everyone"

Yeah, the question, "Should we raise taxes on the rich so everyone else can have a free ride" ought to be a no brainer.
I wonder what the results would be if the question were "Should we raise taxes by $500B"?

It does. Just ask the GOP. They've been selling it for years.

"Welfare Queens in Cadillacs".

The Tax the Rich is the main campaign strategy of every major Democrat, from the White House on down.

Republicans are running on taxes are high enough. Who is running on class warfare is obvious but to the most Partisan of hacks. It's funny how you say you only support Democrats out of the lesser of two evils, yet you can't find reasons to not only criticize them, but not defend them.

Say ditto, we can start with how I support the Tea Party who the Republican establishment opposes then move into my opposition to the war on drugs, the wars in the middle east (all of them), how I think abortion, prostitution, drugs, gambling should be legal...

Your turn...

Exactly, it's not a coincidence that 50% of the country pay 4% of Federal taxes and 5% of the country pay 60%. Sure it's stupid because it bites them in their jobs, but it sells at the polling booth.

Conservatives have engaged in class warfare against working Americans for 30 years. It only became an issue when workers started fighting back

Conservatives have engaged in class warfare against working Americans for 30 years. It only became an issue when workers started fighting back

Um conservatives ARE working Americans. Liberals are academics, politicians, union leaders, and other scum bags feeding from the public trough.

Exactly, it's not a coincidence that 50% of the country pay 4% of Federal taxes and 5% of the country pay 60%. Sure it's stupid because it bites them in their jobs, but it sells at the polling booth.

Really shows the disparity in income and wealth in this country doesn't it? That 5% monopolize the majority of available wealth and we are supposed to feel sorry for them for having to pay taxes on it

Really shows the disparity in income and wealth in this country doesn't it? That 5% monopolize the majority of available wealth and we are supposed to feel sorry for them for having to pay taxes on it

Great argument, too bad it's a lie. The top 1% pay 40% of the federal taxes...and have 20% of the income... The bottom 50% have far more then 4% of the income. The first step in not being a Partisan automaton RW is choosing to be an individual. When I realized in 1992 the Republican party did not represent me, I left. I didn't find factoids that sounded good and were lies to support them. I stopped supporting them.

If you care about jobs or the economy, the last thing you would do would be to vote for a Democrat. If you support wealth redistribution, you'd be right there. I guess we know the answer to that one, don't we?

Um conservatives ARE working Americans. Liberals are academics, politicians, union leaders, and other scum bags feeding from the public trough.

As the owner of two businesses I always like how the "Working Americans" all leave by 5:30 and I'm still there until 9 or 10...

Can you show me the link on who said the wealthy shouldn't have to pay taxes?

Gladly...

Just read up this thread to where You whine about the 5% have to pay 60% of the taxes. If they didn't have so much income it wouldn't be a problem would it?

Gladly...

Just read up this thread to where You whine about the 5% have to pay 60% of the taxes. If they didn't have so much income it wouldn't be a problem would it?

Obviously he didnt say that.
You fail, Nutwinger.

Forum List

Back