Dems got the Trump Racism thing all wrong

I agree with you and history does play a role when analyzing the character of a person. This latest comment certainly reenforces the narrative that Trump is a racist for those who believe he is. I just don't think that needs to be the main heading spinning 24/7 from our news outlets. You are taking a smaller subjective point and making it the focus and it reenforces the Media bias narrative that is driving Trumps Fake News campaign. I think it is counter productive. As to your point about the Republicans doing it to Hillary, don't go there. The "whatabout" diversion is something that Trump does all the time to take the focus off the subject at hand. You don't like it when he does it so don't do it yourself. Do better.
Pointing out that POTUS is racist is not counterproductive at least from a political standpoint, it energizes Democrats to want to go out and vote. Not talking morals just purely political. I do want to know what your goal is? If you want people to start judging politics on its merits, you are a bit naive. Don't get me wrong, it's commendable. But Real politics is as old as politics itself, and trying to fight fair when the other side has no interest in doing so, just sets you up to lose.

It doesn't energize white people though, who already feel as though they are being blamed for any sort of indiscretion on the part of any white person, while they themselves are fair game to be ridiculed and lectured to.

Just leave the race stuff out of it. I genuinely don't think it's effective.
All polls suggest Trump is losing support across the board, this includes white people. Shares our values is one of the questions he scores abysmal at, don't you think perceived racism has nothing to do with those numbers? Again I'd like Trump being disqualified for better reasons then his views on race. Sadly since Americans care more about race then about for instance foreign relations, that's the card that will be played.

I think they are running the risk of going overboard with it. It is a slippery slope issue; if this is considered racism, then what isn't? Suddenly it becomes acceptable to accuse someone (probably a white person) of racism for any minor indiscretion or unwise statement or generality. That sort of toxic environment is obviously going to hurt whites more than any other group, since they are already the only ones who really get accused of racism (there are very big segments of academia who think only white people can be racist at all).

Let the president's ill-conceived statements stand for themselves. Stop injecting racism where it doesn't exist.
If you refuse to report on those ill-conceived statements, it never happened don't you think? I completely get what you're getting at, I truly do. My problem is, like I said the whole,"we fight fair issue". Democrats suck at politics. They suck because they rather lose elections then be viewed unreasonable, you can't run campaigns if you aren't willing to fight bare knuckle. This means you realize you will not win the white 50 something vote. This means you will have to go after the millennials and the minority vote. You can't win those votes if you run for the hills every time race comes up.
I think you can fight and campaign hard but that doesn't mean you need to be dishonest and dirty. I didn't mention nor do I think that John Shaw is saying to not report on this Trump statement. I believe we are just saying report on it honestly. It was class discrimination, not racist. Come campaign time if you want to make a case about Trump being racist then make that statement. But when you inject and over emphasis that narrative in conversations like this you end up diminishing your credibility.

Lets get real for a second. If you are partisan spinner on either side please leave now. Here's the deal. Trump made a stupid ignorant statement the other day when he said he didn't want people from Shithole countries coming here. His lackies are looking like fools trying to make excuses for him, trying to make this thing about a PC language issue or pretending that he was simply talking about the conditions of 3rd world countries, or spreading the idiotic narrative that he didn't even say it. Its embarrassing for them. On the flip side, the dems are over playing their hand by going after Trump as a Racist... Let me explain.

I understand the racist argument that the Left is making based on Trumps statements, but I believe that to be subjective and over played. The real issue from what i've seen has more to do with class. Trump doesn't want poor uneducated people coming into our Country. His statement was discriminatory, no question, so lets be accurate and call it that. I don't think Trump would have a problem with a bunch of Ben Carson's coming into our country, I don't think it is a race issue.

Trump wants merit based immigration where we give priority to people who have proven that they have something to contribute to society. People with achievements in education, work, or monetary means have proven merit under his standards and those who are poor or uneducated do not have the same merit. I don't agree with Trump, I believe in giving people opportunity and that nobody is better than the other just because they are born somewhere else or born with more means than another. I also believe that people from poor countries represent a perspective that those from rich countries don't have. They have a great sense of appreciation for opportunity and the American dream because they have gone through the struggle of not having it. That is a valuable perspective to have.

I understand given Trumps history that a link can be made to say that he may assume people of color to fit a certain stereotype unless they have proven otherwise and with that a case for Racism could be made. However, I'd like to see our political discussion less polarized and hyperbolized and more realistic based on the facts. Dems should stop with the hyperfocus on Racism and call this what it is, class based discrimination... Reps need to stop being spin doctor puppets... and Trump needs to grow the fuck up and start acting like a leader
It's not that I disagree, but I have a serious question. How do you objectively judge something without taking the past in consideration? The statement, when standing on itself could, and should be taken as discriminatory but not actually racist, but considering a lot of different incidents it fits something which makes the actual statement less a mistake and more a pattern. I also want to point out that objectivity never stopped Republicans to go after Hillary so calling for it rings a bit hollow.
I agree with you and history does play a role when analyzing the character of a person. This latest comment certainly reenforces the narrative that Trump is a racist for those who believe he is. I just don't think that needs to be the main heading spinning 24/7 from our news outlets. You are taking a smaller subjective point and making it the focus and it reenforces the Media bias narrative that is driving Trumps Fake News campaign. I think it is counter productive. As to your point about the Republicans doing it to Hillary, don't go there. The "whatabout" diversion is something that Trump does all the time to take the focus off the subject at hand. You don't like it when he does it so don't do it yourself. Do better.
Pointing out that POTUS is racist is not counterproductive at least from a political standpoint, it energizes Democrats to want to go out and vote. Not talking morals just purely political. I do want to know what your goal is? If you want people to start judging politicians on their merits, you are a bit naive. Don't get me wrong, it's commendable. But Real politics is as old as politics itself, and trying to fight fair when the other side has no interest in doing so, just sets you up to lose.
I pointed that out in the OP. I realize it energizes the Dem base, but it also energizes Trumps base and polarizes moderates which in my opinion is not productive for our country as a whole. My goal is simple... To engage in more honest and respectful conversations so we can work together to build a better nation. Stop the trend of dirty politics, demonization, hyperbole, and dishonesty that is destroying our discourse and polarizing our leaders and our people
For the record, I nearly always am respectful, I rarely, if ever use hyperbole, and I strife for honesty. Having said that, in the year or something on USMB, I haven't encountered any of these scruples on the people on the right, unless prompted and even then with great reluctance. I do it because I want to be fair. I also have seen that doesn't score me any points. It makes the people I talk to think of me as arrogant, ignore or ridicule me. It's a micro cosmos of US politics.Fairness doesn't mean shit, if fairness makes you lose elections. It makes it that people who aren't fair but unscrupulous get what they want. Now that's NOT fair.

Last edited:
I posted a thread the other day of all the racist things he’s said and done from the 1970’s - present.
Saying he’s not a racist is ignoring the evidence.
It is counter productive in my opinion when you take a discriminatory comment that isn't racist on the face and turn it into a 24/7 multi-day headline of our Racist president. All it does is hyper polarize each side. You may strengthen your opposition to Trump but you are also strengthening his supporters in their opposition to you. The wings get stronger and the middle stays extremely frustrated.

Prior to this, I did not take his comments as racist so much as ignorant.

The latest one - when he takes all of Africa (almost entirely black) and Haiti (black) - and lumps them into one category "shithole" while holding up Norway...is very disconcerting.

It is difficult to take it any other way....
But you realize he is talking about poor countries and poor, uneducated people right? He brought up Norway, i'm assuming, because he just met with their leader and they are one of the richest countries in the world. In Trumps mind he is thinking, I want to bring rich, smart, successful people over here, not poor, uneducated, 3rd world people... Get what i'm saying?

I do get what you are saying...it's just hard to think of what he said without a racial overtone - there are many poor countries not in Africa and not Haiti...former E. European Soviet Bloc nations for example...Asian countries....large swathes of India....

Either what he said was racist or - horribly ignorant.

Newark New Jersey is a shit hole in my opinion. Is that racist? My old public middle school was a shit hole. Is that racist?

People who hate Trump will see racism in virtually everything he says. Most sane people see that and understand it.

See Coyote the left focuses primarily on Trump's tweets and goofy things he says in order to deflect from his policies and accomplishments. Again...most sane people understand that.

I don't give a crap about the stupid stuff he says. I care that the economy is going great....ISIS is mostly destroyed, good judges are coming on the bench and bad regulations are being rolled back. See the difference?

Pelosi and Durban come from the two most tax reform vulnerable states in the union and their hysterical panic may abort the normal mid-terms course correction. Having these two in leadership positions at this time is retrospectively crazy.

I posted a thread the other day of all the racist things he’s said and done from the 1970’s - present.
Saying he’s not a racist is ignoring the evidence.
It is counter productive in my opinion when you take a discriminatory comment that isn't racist on the face and turn it into a 24/7 multi-day headline of our Racist president. All it does is hyper polarize each side. You may strengthen your opposition to Trump but you are also strengthening his supporters in their opposition to you. The wings get stronger and the middle stays extremely frustrated.

The latest one - when he takes all of Africa (almost entirely black) and Haiti (black) - and lumps them into one category "shithole" while holding up Norway...is very disconcerting.

But you realize he is talking about poor countries and poor, uneducated people right? He brought up Norway, i'm assuming, because he just met with their leader and they are one of the richest countries in the world. In Trumps mind he is thinking, I want to bring rich, smart, successful people over here, not poor, uneducated, 3rd world people... Get what i'm saying?

I do get what you are saying...it's just hard to think of what he said without a racial overtone - there are many poor countries not in Africa and not Haiti...former E. European Soviet Bloc nations for example...Asian countries....large swathes of India....

Newark New Jersey is a shit hole in my opinion. Is that racist? My old public middle school was a shit hole. Is that racist?

People who hate Trump will see racism in virtually everything he says. Most sane people see that and understand it.

See Coyote the left focuses primarily on Trump's tweets and goofy things he says in order to deflect from his policies and accomplishments. Again...most sane people understand that.

I don't give a crap about the stupid stuff he says. I care that the economy is going great....ISIS is mostly destroyed, good judges are coming on the bench and bad regulations are being rolled back. See the difference?

The problem is - the "stupid crap he says" aligns with his actions. For example deciding to remove TPS from Haitians and El Salvadorians in this country, which pretty much fits with the "stupid crap" he was saying about "shithole countries"....and sending them back.

ISIS is mostly destroyed due to the efforts of the former administration over time - Trump basically kept to the same plan. Credit belongs to Obama and Trump together there. Bad regulations...well...some good ones are going down as well for no reason beyond "Obama made them". It makes no sense to me, but then again - I'm on the left and you're on the right :lol:

I agree with Trump. I don't want poor uneducated unskilled people from backward cultures coming here either. It puts more burden on taxpayers. Why do you want them to come here?

The problem is - the "stupid crap he says" aligns with his actions. For example deciding to remove TPS from Haitians and El Salvadorians in this country, which pretty much fits with the "stupid crap" he was saying about "shithole countries"....and sending them back.

ISIS is mostly destroyed due to the efforts of the former administration over time - Trump basically kept to the same plan. Credit belongs to Obama and Trump together there. Bad regulations...well...some good ones are going down as well for no reason beyond "Obama made them". It makes no sense to me, but then again - I'm on the left and you're on the right :lol:
Did you applaud when President Obama sent billions to Iran?

Lets get real for a second. If you are partisan spinner on either side please leave now. Here's the deal. Trump made a stupid ignorant statement the other day when he said he didn't want people from Shithole countries coming here. His lackies are looking like fools trying to make excuses for him, trying to make this thing about a PC language issue or pretending that he was simply talking about the conditions of 3rd world countries, or spreading the idiotic narrative that he didn't even say it. Its embarrassing for them. On the flip side, the dems are over playing their hand by going after Trump as a Racist... Let me explain.

I understand the racist argument that the Left is making based on Trumps statements, but I believe that to be subjective and over played. The real issue from what i've seen has more to do with class. Trump doesn't want poor uneducated people coming into our Country. His statement was discriminatory, no question, so lets be accurate and call it that. I don't think Trump would have a problem with a bunch of Ben Carson's coming into our country, I don't think it is a race issue.

Trump wants merit based immigration where we give priority to people who have proven that they have something to contribute to society. People with achievements in education, work, or monetary means have proven merit under his standards and those who are poor or uneducated do not have the same merit. I don't agree with Trump, I believe in giving people opportunity and that nobody is better than the other just because they are born somewhere else or born with more means than another. I also believe that people from poor countries represent a perspective that those from rich countries don't have. They have a great sense of appreciation for opportunity and the American dream because they have gone through the struggle of not having it. That is a valuable perspective to have.

I understand given Trumps history that a link can be made to say that he may assume people of color to fit a certain stereotype unless they have proven otherwise and with that a case for Racism could be made. However, I'd like to see our political discussion less polarized and hyperbolized and more realistic based on the facts. Dems should stop with the hyperfocus on Racism and call this what it is, class based discrimination... Reps need to stop being spin doctor puppets... and Trump needs to grow the fuck up and start acting like a leader
It's not that I disagree, but I have a serious question. How do you objectively judge something without taking the past in consideration? The statement, when standing on itself could, and should be taken as discriminatory but not actually racist, but considering a lot of different incidents it fits something which makes the actual statement less a mistake and more a pattern. I also want to point out that objectivity never stopped Republicans to go after Hillary so calling for it rings a bit hollow.
Pointing out that POTUS is racist is not counterproductive at least from a political standpoint, it energizes Democrats to want to go out and vote. Not talking morals just purely political. I do want to know what your goal is? If you want people to start judging politics on its merits, you are a bit naive. Don't get me wrong, it's commendable. But Real politics is as old as politics itself, and trying to fight fair when the other side has no interest in doing so, just sets you up to lose.

It doesn't energize white people though, who already feel as though they are being blamed for any sort of indiscretion on the part of any white person, while they themselves are fair game to be ridiculed and lectured to.

Just leave the race stuff out of it. I genuinely don't think it's effective.

I don't feel that way at all. Why do you?

I don't agree. The attacks on Trump spawn off real things that Trump says or does. The spin my be hyperbolic, but Trump won a presidential election using hyperbole. People can see and hear from the source whats going on. Bias analysis in the media isn't going to blind them from the facts, and many of the facts and statements from Trump are very polarizing that moderates wouldn't support

there has been zero effort from the left to seek compromise

they want to point to the Obamacare vote as a precedent; but that is ridiculous, as a major bill that affects 20% + of the economy that was written without any input from the other side is a much different animal than a tax cut

Obama had a republican congress to deal with in his 2nd term & republicans certainly compromised with him on policy issues

my opinion is that the over the top attacks against everything Trump wants to do will backfire on the left

You are AWESOME!!

Pointing out that POTUS is racist is not counterproductive at least from a political standpoint, it energizes Democrats to want to go out and vote. Not talking morals just purely political. I do want to know what your goal is? If you want people to start judging politicians on their merits, you are a bit naive. Don't get me wrong, it's commendable. But Real politics is as old as politics itself, and trying to fight fair when the other side has no interest in doing so, just sets you up to lose.
I pointed that out in the OP. I realize it energizes the Dem base, but it also energizes Trumps base and polarizes moderates which in my opinion is not productive for our country as a whole. My goal is simple... To engage in more honest and respectful conversations so we can work together to build a better nation. Stop the trend of dirty politics, demonization, hyperbole, and dishonesty that is destroying our discourse and polarizing our leaders and our people
For the record, I nearly always am respectful, I rarely, if ever use hyperbole, and I strife for honesty. Having said that, in the year or something on USMB, I haven't encountered any of these scruples on the people on the right, unless prompted and even then with great reluctance. I do it because I want to be fair. I also have seen that doesn't score me any points. It makes the people I talk to think of me as arrogant, ignore or ridicule me. It's a micro cosmos of US politics. If you don't realize that fairness doesn't mean shit, if fairness makes you lose elections. It makes it that people who aren't fair but unscrupulous get what they want. Now that's NOT fair.
I understand where you are coming from. I've noticed something interesting about people on this board. Many when poked jump to their side and go into full wingnut mode. But i've crossed over with a few by finding common ground and showing respect and understanding of their perspective. It's been quite amazing the shift in how they treat you and the quality of the conversations. I'm quite liberal and get called libtard all the time but have actually developed some respect from and for people that I once thought of as opposition wingnuts. Dale Smith P@triot iceberg to name a few who I had early battles with but have grown to respect over time as good opposition. They piss me off sometimes and say things that I disagree with, but there has also been a very healthy flip side to that coin. Something to think about...

I agree with Trump. I don't want poor uneducated unskilled people from backward cultures coming here either. It puts more burden on taxpayers. Why do you want them to come here?

It actually doesn't - it usually evens out after the first generation because of immigration and a drive to succeed. The irony here is what you are saying is what American nativists have been saying for generations. The only difference is the country - it used to be Eastern Europe, Italy, Ireland, etc. And just because people are poor or come from those countries doesn't mean they are unskilled, uneducated or non-hardworking. Trump even signaled out Nigerians for special condemnation. Why on earth for? Where does he get this crap?

It Isn't Just Asian Immigrants Who Thrive
According to Census data, more than 43 percent of African immigrants hold a bachelor’s degree or higher -- slightly more than immigrants from East Asia. Nigerian immigrants are especially educated, with almost two-thirds holding college degrees -- a significantly higher percentage even than Chinese or South Korean immigrants. African immigrants are also very likely to hold advanced degrees, many of which are earned at U.S. universities. By many measures, African immigrants are as far ahead of American whites in the educational achievement as whites are ahead of African-Americans.

That education translates into higher household income. Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average, and above the average of many white and Asian groups, such as those of Dutch or Korean descent.

This isn't the power of Confucius. It’s the magic of high-skilled immigration. When a country selects immigrants for their educational background and technical skills, it doesn’t just get smart people -- it gets families committed to education, hard work and future-oriented life planning. Every society has its own version of what Kristof calls Confucian values. They are universal. And skilled immigration brings the families with those values to the U.S. from every corner of the globe.

Dems aren’t interested in getting anything right. Their focus is on pushing BS propaganda that helps their agenda with enriching liberal politicians.

Their sheep blindly follow the promises they make.

The refusal of Pelosi and Schumer to get on board with DACA also means that they have no leverage when their states try to roll over their debt and can't.

Trump was at a bipartisan meeting to decide the fate of DACA

All was well until it was brought up that the lottery immigration system would be modified to allow immigration from countries like Haiti, El Salvador and Africa

Trump threw a tantrum and called those nations shitholes. Why not get more immigration from white nations like Norway?

A month ago, he was ranting about everyone in Haiti having AIDS and those in Nigeria not going back to live in huts

Is it racist?
The rest of the world is claiming it is
So is any sensible American

Well that goes to the core of the discussion that we should be having. I have no problem with Merit based to a degree... even for the largest fraction of people we accept in. However, I think if an industry leader or scientific genius, of merit, immigrates to the US then that person has a right to want to live near his/her family and sponsor family members to join him or her. That's chain. I also think that many people can ascend to greatness given the opportunity. We hear rags to riches stories all the time from some of the greatest people throughout history. Therefore, accepting a fraction of people from poor, oppressive, or restrictive countries can be of value as well. That's lottery. They bring a spirit and perspective that somebody of means can't have. They bring an appreciation for freedom and opportunity because they came from a world of restrictions and strife. This is a very powerful perspective to have and something that I see value in as they pursue the American Dream.

Last edited:

It actually doesn't - it usually evens out after the first generation because of immigration and a drive to succeed. The irony here is what you are saying is what American nativists have been saying for generations. The only difference is the country - it used to be Eastern Europe, Italy, Ireland, etc. And just because people are poor or come from those countries doesn't mean they are unskilled, uneducated or non-hardworking. Trump even signaled out Nigerians for special condemnation. Why on earth for? Where does he get this crap?

It Isn't Just Asian Immigrants Who Thrive
According to Census data, more than 43 percent of African immigrants hold a bachelor’s degree or higher -- slightly more than immigrants from East Asia. Nigerian immigrants are especially educated, with almost two-thirds holding college degrees -- a significantly higher percentage even than Chinese or South Korean immigrants. African immigrants are also very likely to hold advanced degrees, many of which are earned at U.S. universities. By many measures, African immigrants are as far ahead of American whites in the educational achievement as whites are ahead of African-Americans.

That education translates into higher household income. Nigerian-Americans, for instance, have a median household income well above the American average, and above the average of many white and Asian groups, such as those of Dutch or Korean descent.

This isn't the power of Confucius. It’s the magic of high-skilled immigration. When a country selects immigrants for their educational background and technical skills, it doesn’t just get smart people -- it gets families committed to education, hard work and future-oriented life planning. Every society has its own version of what Kristof calls Confucian values. They are universal. And skilled immigration brings the families with those values to the U.S. from every corner of the globe.
One generation as you claim syphons billions in welfare, also takes jobs fromAmericans that have been established for generations. Why should we that pay taxes support and educate them, especially those coming here that hate our democtacy like the Somali muslims in Minneapolis. You been to Minneapolis lately? How about Dearborn, Michigan? They aren't assimilating as Americans. They're building a new nation.

If the illegal immigrants were to become citizens and vote Republican or not vote at all, the Democrats would start laying down bricks today, for free!

Democrats are the racists!

Trump was at a bipartisan meeting to decide the fate of DACA

All was well until it was brought up that the lottery immigration system would be modified to allow immigration from countries like Haiti, El Salvador and Africa

Trump threw a tantrum and called those nations shitholes. Why not get more immigration from white nations like Norway?

A month ago, he was ranting about everyone in Haiti having AIDS and those in Nigeria not going back to live in huts

Is it racist?
The rest of the world is claiming it is
So is any sensible American
Thats my point... is that Racist or is it Class Discrimination. Does he not want those people here because they are poor or because they are brown/black. Does he want Norway people here because they are white or because they are rich and educated.... Be honest.

Forum List

Back