Democrats propose "transaction tax" on financial transactions. (Poll)

Do you support the new "transaction tax", and if so, what would you do with the revenue?

• No, I'll explain why in my post

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Yes, to pay for free community college & job training

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Yes, to pay for 1/2 of 4-year college and advanced degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, to pay into the general revenue fund to pay for SS & Medicare

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Yes, see my post for where I'd put the $80b/yr revenue

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters
Little more than a gimmick. It will not stop institutionalized investors will find other financial products to invest in, move those transactions elsewhere or find a way around the tax. HFT is essentially irrelevant to those that are not part of the trading as long term health of an asset is not phased by short term fluctuations.

The government will not get a tiny fraction of what it says it will out of the tax, more regulation is not going to help the average guy's 401k in any way and the spending that the tax is supposed to go to will not only exceed the projected gains but will not change when the government reveals that they are making far less than projected.
I see your words, but need proof of what you say is true.
ALL money made by HFTs is stolen from investors.
First, its not 'stolen' as that necessitates taking from someone without their consent, consent you give when you agree to buy and sell stock. Claiming it stealing is like whining the card players at the poker table stole from you because they are better at the game.

Second, that money comes from other high frequency or institutional investors. Not a single one of my investments has been effected by HFT because I do not invest short term. That a stock may half, double and then half again in price over the course of a month is irrelevant to the vast majority of investors, all that matters is the price point you get in and out. If you are not involved in short term trades then HFT does nothing to your investments. Short term volatility is simply not relevant.

If you are a short term investor then you are getting exactly what you want. All a tax on HFT does is attempt to remove a specific market for trades.

Finally, you have provided no proof that HFT traders steal anything. Your complaints about insider trading are not even remotely relevant to HFT, you can trade on inside information or manipulate the market without participating in a lot of transactions. We do know the government will not get what it thinks it will because they never raise the amounts they promise. Same thing goes with what happens to the money raised. You can guarantee that adding this tax will only increase the debt because the tax is not even represented as a function of raising funds, it is represented as a function of WHAT THEY CAN BUY WITH THE TAX.

IOW, the money would already be spent and even if it is done through reconciliation (which requires it to be deficit neutral iirc) it would still fail as there is zero chance they would actually ties the amount spent with the amount raised.

There are 2 reasons I can see to support something like this:
HFTs are an infringement on the people's freedom - Give me a good reason that the government should be infringing on my freedom to trade as I see fit because that is what you need. Not that more advanced individuals and/or institutions are taking the majority of the gains, that happens in every single field or economic activity in existence. 100 percent of them. There is not a single example of that not being the case. Tell me exactly how those HFTs are infringing on my freedom. Then there is a case to limit them.
or
Taxing HFTs is a necessary and proper source of funding for the federal government. That I think is rather indefensible but then again I think the government should be funded in an even manner without all the special interests, outright thuggish control or specifically targeting small groups of people.

Not liking HFTs because they can be used in a manner you do not agree with is not one of them.
1. HFTs are not "fair", they use super-computers to steal in microseconds. Now if they pass the transaction tax, the HFTs can whine it isn't fair to them. I never gave my consent for HFTs to steal my investment. I'm giving my consent fro the transaction tax.
2. Where does the money that HFTs make come from? That's right, other people's investments. (aka stealing)
3. When 70% of all trades are by HFTs that makes for unnecessary volatility. The 2010 "flash crash" is what happens. We need real investment, not computer theft. The government needs to straighten out the stock markets, a transaction tax is a good start.
4. Proof that HFT is "theft"? What product or service do they sell? Hint: nothing, they just steal other people's investments.
5. I need the government to stop the HFTs computers from stealing our investments. That "theft" infringes on my investment freedom. IT'S THEFT!!
6. We all would pay the transaction tax, its minimal unless you're an HFT. The object is to make more investments "long-term" to create jobs and expand businesses.

Proof that HFT is "theft"? What product or service do they sell? Hint: nothing, they just steal other people's investments.

Have you made money on your investments? Yes?

Thief!!!
1. I invested with companies for a long time, we both profited.
2. HFTs steal in thousandths of a second, its theft.
who are they stealing from?
Investors.
How? If something is for sale, and it's purchased...how is that stealing? Likewise, if they sell something, how are they steeling?
Stock is for sale as an "investment" to provide capital for companies to grow.
If you have a 401K your money is invested in many companies.
HFTs use computers to "milk" the investor's capital using computer algorithms to buy/sell in thousandths of a second. The money the HFTs steal should be used by companies to grow and hire people, and increase your 401K.
I know what HFT do, but how are they stealing something that is for sale, and they pay for it?
Already answered. You have to read the other people's posts. From above:
HFTs use computers to "milk" the investor's capital using computer algorithms to buy/sell in thousandths of a second. The money the HFTs steal should be used by companies to grow and hire people, and increase your 401K.

Investors buy and hold stock in a company to provide CAPITAL to grow the company.
HFTs use computers to buy/sell in microseconds stealing that CAPITAL.

So if I place an order to buy 10,000 shares of GE, HFTs are stealing
capital from GE or stealing capital from me?

Feel free to explain either scenario that applies.
The HFT computers know how to steal money from investors, its what they do, its all they do.
You seem to be coming from the "zero-sum-game" theory of economics. Not every gain implies someone else's loss.
IMHO when investors buy stocks, and HFTs remove some of that capital via computerized algorithms, that money they removed hurts investors' 401Ks. HFTs make no products, and provide no services, they just rake in investor's cash.
How are they removing it? They are buying it with money, (capitol), and then reselling it, where someone else is buying it with more capitol

Not seeing the milking. How does HTF effect long term investments?

Little more than a gimmick. It will not stop institutionalized investors will find other financial products to invest in, move those transactions elsewhere or find a way around the tax. HFT is essentially irrelevant to those that are not part of the trading as long term health of an asset is not phased by short term fluctuations.

The government will not get a tiny fraction of what it says it will out of the tax, more regulation is not going to help the average guy's 401k in any way and the spending that the tax is supposed to go to will not only exceed the projected gains but will not change when the government reveals that they are making far less than projected.
I see your words, but need proof of what you say is true.
ALL money made by HFTs is stolen from investors.
First, its not 'stolen' as that necessitates taking from someone without their consent, consent you give when you agree to buy and sell stock. Claiming it stealing is like whining the card players at the poker table stole from you because they are better at the game.

Second, that money comes from other high frequency or institutional investors. Not a single one of my investments has been effected by HFT because I do not invest short term. That a stock may half, double and then half again in price over the course of a month is irrelevant to the vast majority of investors, all that matters is the price point you get in and out. If you are not involved in short term trades then HFT does nothing to your investments. Short term volatility is simply not relevant.

If you are a short term investor then you are getting exactly what you want. All a tax on HFT does is attempt to remove a specific market for trades.

Finally, you have provided no proof that HFT traders steal anything. Your complaints about insider trading are not even remotely relevant to HFT, you can trade on inside information or manipulate the market without participating in a lot of transactions. We do know the government will not get what it thinks it will because they never raise the amounts they promise. Same thing goes with what happens to the money raised. You can guarantee that adding this tax will only increase the debt because the tax is not even represented as a function of raising funds, it is represented as a function of WHAT THEY CAN BUY WITH THE TAX.

IOW, the money would already be spent and even if it is done through reconciliation (which requires it to be deficit neutral iirc) it would still fail as there is zero chance they would actually ties the amount spent with the amount raised.

There are 2 reasons I can see to support something like this:
HFTs are an infringement on the people's freedom - Give me a good reason that the government should be infringing on my freedom to trade as I see fit because that is what you need. Not that more advanced individuals and/or institutions are taking the majority of the gains, that happens in every single field or economic activity in existence. 100 percent of them. There is not a single example of that not being the case. Tell me exactly how those HFTs are infringing on my freedom. Then there is a case to limit them.
or
Taxing HFTs is a necessary and proper source of funding for the federal government. That I think is rather indefensible but then again I think the government should be funded in an even manner without all the special interests, outright thuggish control or specifically targeting small groups of people.

Not liking HFTs because they can be used in a manner you do not agree with is not one of them.
1. HFTs are not "fair", they use super-computers to steal in microseconds. Now if they pass the transaction tax, the HFTs can whine it isn't fair to them. I never gave my consent for HFTs to steal my investment. I'm giving my consent fro the transaction tax.
2. Where does the money that HFTs make come from? That's right, other people's investments. (aka stealing)
3. When 70% of all trades are by HFTs that makes for unnecessary volatility. The 2010 "flash crash" is what happens. We need real investment, not computer theft. The government needs to straighten out the stock markets, a transaction tax is a good start.
4. Proof that HFT is "theft"? What product or service do they sell? Hint: nothing, they just steal other people's investments.
5. I need the government to stop the HFTs computers from stealing our investments. That "theft" infringes on my investment freedom. IT'S THEFT!!
6. We all would pay the transaction tax, its minimal unless you're an HFT. The object is to make more investments "long-term" to create jobs and expand businesses.

Proof that HFT is "theft"? What product or service do they sell? Hint: nothing, they just steal other people's investments.

Have you made money on your investments? Yes?

Thief!!!
1. I invested with companies for a long time, we both profited.
2. HFTs steal in thousandths of a second, its theft.
who are they stealing from?
Investors.
How? If something is for sale, and it's purchased...how is that stealing? Likewise, if they sell something, how are they steeling?
I know what HFT do, but how are they stealing something that is for sale, and they pay for it?
Already answered. You have to read the other people's posts. From above:
No you haven't answered it...how are they stealing it if they are paying of it? they are giving capitol to purchase it, and selling it, to someone else for capitol...hopefully more

I never thought that I'd ever be on the same side as Ilhan Omar, but here we are.
I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades, fine.
They are nothing but leeches stealing our 401k investments.

"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.
Under current law, someone selling or buying $1,000 of stock pays just over two cents in transaction taxes. This existing fee raises over $1.5 billion per year. The proposal would add a tax of $1 to that transaction."
It would also have a stabilizing effect on the markets.
How so?
If they cost money the frequency not the trades will go down.
the frequence of trades will go down?

All transactions already cost money. So, I don't see your point

Trump was never and isn't "my guy", there's your first mistake.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
What's so damn hard to grasp cutting spending?
Saying it and doing it are two different things and Republicans never do it...nor should they in most cases since there isn't a lot that can be cut without doing great harm...especially now as we try to recover the economy

DOPE
Republican voters do wish to cut spending. We are not pleased that it isn't done despite who is in power. Two questions, do you really believe that spending can't be addressed? Also, despite who is in office, how does a president fix horrible budgets? Isn't a shutdown the only option, and how long could a shutdown last?

I doubt the commies would spend the money on anything but theri cronies, but if they really wanted to be fair these market gamblers,and that is what they are, gamblers, not 'investors', they would be paying the same sales tax on stock chits as the public has to pay on their purchases for goods, and the speculators' gains should be taxed at the same rates gambling winnings are. This would also force insider traders like Pelosi to actually have to pay taxes for once in their lives, so it will never happen.

I never thought that I'd ever be on the same side as Ilhan Omar, but here we are.
I support the proposed transaction tax. It will hit the high-speed traders more than me or other "buy and hold" investors.

The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades, fine.

"This (transaction tax) makes financial markets fairer and possibly less volatile. As described by Michael Lewis in Flash Boys, high frequency traders (HFTs) can earn profits by front-running other trades by micro-seconds, an activity that raises costs for legitimate traders and provides no value to society. HFTs account for roughly half all stock trades and much of their business model would be threatened by the proposed transactions tax.
Under current law, someone selling or buying $1,000 of stock pays just over two cents in transaction taxes. This existing fee raises over $1.5 billion per year. The proposal would add a tax of $1 to that transaction."
How so?

Price goes up, trades go down. HFT are often in super slim margins. If the margin is even slimmer because of the tax per transaction the the frequency will decrease.

How so?

Price goes up, trades go down. HFT are often in super slim margins. If the margin is even slimmer because of the tax per transaction the the frequency will decrease.
prices go up when there is a high demand. There is already transactional cost...ie the cost of the stock, but also typically a price is you use a broker...HFT's are usually, and mainly done via large brokers.

The tax is just another way for the Govt to get more money, to spend on something new, while they tax everything else, and don't do the things they are suppose to already be doing effectively.

"The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades"

Which they undoubtedly will, or go out of businesses, which they won't.

People will set up server farms to host them and make a mint, while the taxation hits the wrong people.

Kinda ends right there, like all seemingly good ideas with a loophole the size of the Titanic.

Why should farmers get any special consideration?
food security

we don't want to face starvation
How do crop subsidies produce "food security?"
If we let bad weather wipe out the farmers, people will lose weight in a hurry. I know both parties like to take shots at farmers, but it is bastard hard work and most don't die rich. In lean years, there is a sizable rise in suicides.

"The argument against it is that high-speed traders will just move off-shore to do their trades"

People will set up server farms to host them and make a mint, while the taxation hits the wrong people.

Kinda ends right there, like all seemingly good ideas with a loophole the size of the Titanic.
But the feds still get a cut.

CNN of all places actually did a great piece on this new tax the left is trying to put on the working class: Opinion: A financial transaction tax may be aimed at hurting Wall Street. But it will hit Main Street investors instead

" Also, it won't just be Wall Street that bears the burden of this tax. In my experience, taxes on Wall Street rarely, if ever, remain a tax on Wall Street. Just like a gas tax is passed from oil companies on to people at the pump, taxes on financial transactions will be passed from financial services firms on to individual investors -- in this case as a higher cost to retail investors when the firms execute a trade or increase fees on mutual funds, ETF's, 401k plans or pension plans.

ore than 65 million US households own stocks, according to the Investment Company Institute, including more than 100 million participants in 401(k) plans which primarily use mutual funds and ETFs to help save for retirement. And according to the Urban Institute, more than 20 million state and local government employees participate in a public pension plan. All of these hard-working Americans will wind up bearing the cost of any financial transaction tax as a tax on their savings and retirement nest eggs."
" Most countries that have implemented a financial transaction tax have found out the hard way that the tax did not raise anywhere near the amount its proponents claimed it would given the ease with which investors are able to move to different products or offshore trading venues. Sweden imposed a 1% financial transaction tax in 1984. Within six years of its implementation, 50% of Swedish stock trading volume had moved to other countries and the market dropped 5.3%. That's what smart people do in efficient markets. Sweden abolished the tax in 1991, and share prices rebounded by 9.7%.

A financial transaction tax may be a great soundbite for politicians -- hitting Wall Street to help pay for current economic deficits. But it will increase the cost of capital for American companies and it will wind up as a tax on Main Street investors -- hard-working Americans who are saving for their retirement. It may be good politics, but it is not good policy."

But the feds still get a cut.

Well, we're taxed on revenue earned everywhere on the planet, but that's the proceeds.

Could they apply the tax retroactively and demand a statement itemizing all transactions? Sure, but those guys trade by the second. Very difficult to monitor/audit that.

The can also simply invest in a "fund" that pays them proceeds on their investments under a foreign entity, which is subject to no such restrictions.

These guys are rich, smart and have a variety of options. Very difficult to enforce this, imo.

How so?

So if we make it just a little more expensive for them to operate they will go out of business?

HFTs use computers to "milk" the investor's capital using computer algorithms to buy/sell in thousadnths of a second.

How did they "milk" money out of your long-term holdings?
Where did the money they make come from?
Did they make a product, or perform a service? <fuck no>
All of the money the HFTs steal comes out of capital provided by investors that companies could use to grow.

Where did the money they make come from?

They buy low and sell higher.

All of the money the HFTs steal comes out of capital provided by investors that companies could use to grow.

Aren't you special?

Forum List

Back