Democrats panic about 2020 election outcome after ex-Obama economist Jason Furman predicts: “We are about to see the best economic data in history"

One thing that really shows whats going on is the motor fuel consumption rate, it has jumped 7% in the last 30 days. Demand is already returning and gas prices are reflecting it.

It's an interesting read … but

there's a thread

Read the article. Furman is comparing the pandemic to the BP oil spill (that mainly affected the Gulf states) and hurricanes, which mainly affect one or two states.
The pandemic has not only affected this WHOLE country but Europe and Asia. That's why it's called a PANdemic.

I've read other economic news that takes into account other factors:

Worth your few precious seconds to read:

"In September 2006, Nouriel Roubini told the International Monetary Fund what it didn’t want to hear. Standing before an audience of economists at the organization’s headquarters, the New York University professor warned that the U.S. housing market would soon collapse — and, quite possibly, bring the global financial system down with it......

A decade later, “Dr. Doom” is a bear once again. While many investors bet on a “V-shaped recovery,” Roubini is staking his reputation on an L-shaped depression. The economist does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts.

Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade.

As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

Roubini allows that, after a decade of misery, we may get around to developing a “more inclusive, cooperative, and stable international order.....”""""

Democrats who suddenly "got religion" are on their knees praying for a second wave of "the virus", tougher lockdowns and a totally crashed economy. But not now. In October.

Calling on strangers........

Read the article. Furman is comparing the pandemic to the BP oil spill (that mainly affected the Gulf states) and hurricanes, which mainly affect one or two states.
The pandemic has not only affected this WHOLE country but Europe and Asia. That's why it's called a PANdemic.

"In September 2006, Nouriel Roubini told the International Monetary Fund what it didn’t want to hear. Standing before an audience of economists at the organization’s headquarters, the New York University professor warned that the U.S. housing market would soon collapse — and, quite possibly, bring the global financial system down with it......

A decade later, “Dr. Doom” is a bear once again. While many investors bet on a “V-shaped recovery,” Roubini is staking his reputation on an L-shaped depression. The economist (and host of a biweekly economic news broadcast) does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts.

Specifically, Roubini argues that the massive private debts accrued during both the 2008 crash and COVID-19 crisis will durably depress consumption and weaken the short-lived recovery. Meanwhile, the aging of populations across the West will further undermine growth while increasing the fiscal burdens of states already saddled with hazardous debt loads. Although deficit spending is necessary in the present crisis, and will appear benign at the onset of recovery, it is laying the kindling for an inflationary conflagration by mid-decade.

As the deepening geopolitical rift between the United States and China triggers a wave of deglobalization, negative supply shocks akin those of the 1970s are going to raise the cost of real resources, even as hyperexploited workers suffer perpetual wage and benefit declines. Prices will rise, but growth will peter out, since ordinary people will be forced to pare back their consumption more and more. Stagflation will beget depression. And through it all, humanity will be beset by unnatural disasters, from extreme weather events wrought by man-made climate change to pandemics induced by our disruption of natural ecosystems.

Roubini allows that, after a decade of misery, we may get around to developing a “more inclusive, cooperative, and stable international order.....”""""
Yeah. I just don't know. Earlier there was thought of a rapid recovery. We really don't have much actual data yet on how people are behaving in places that are opening where there are actual economies … unlike the Dakotas or Wyoming (which I enjoyed but couldn't expand my job). Furman was singing a different tune just recently

A decade later, “Dr. Doom” is a bear once again. While many investors bet on a “V-shaped recovery,” Roubini is staking his reputation on an L-shaped depression. The economist does expect things to get better before they get worse: He foresees a slow, lackluster (i.e., “U-shaped”) economic rebound in the pandemic’s immediate aftermath. But he insists that this recovery will quickly collapse beneath the weight of the global economy’s accumulated debts.

This pandemic is a group of affected regions...

To treat it any other way is stupidity on steroids... Several regions are already taking off and the others will soon follow. Dimwits will have no choice but follow or risk losing in november as well.

This pandemic is a group of affected regions...

To treat it any other way is stupidity on steroids... Several regions are already taking off and the others will soon follow. Dimwits will have no choice but follow or risk losing in november as well.
I don't know that any state is "taking off." I saw Cheyenne's one topless bar opened with all three "dancers." But..... The State get's taxes from natl resources, so I doubt there will be long-term problems unless oil and gas prices stay historically low. I do agree that some states were not seriously affected with the virus. I'm grateful Miss's governor pretty much shut the place down, but we are reopening …. slowly. We ended up with only about 700 deaths, and mostly they were in nursing homes and very impoverished black folks. Not that those people are unworthy, but they lacked the defenses others had in terms of ability to hide out. Very few of my fellow gym members have returned. It's still possible to get a jog or hour walk before the heat comes in the morning. July 1st is gonna be a mutha. LOL

The stock market is wildly out-of-sync with the economy as a whole. You'll see some serious mean reversion in the next few months. Don't worry, Trump is completely doomed!

the left wasnt worried about the economy when they were winning, my friends!

The stock market is wildly out-of-sync with the economy as a whole. You'll see some serious mean reversion in the next few months. Don't worry, Trump is completely doomed!
As I've stated before, the only thing that will pull the skidmark to a win is another round of stimulus monies, that being a $200.00 permanent COLA for social security recipients, along with a $2,000.00/mo for one year using the same standards as the (not near enough) $1,200.00 one time stimulus. The skidmark has yet to say no to that.

You have to remember that social stimulus returns 1.70:1 to the economy. Corporate stimulus returns 0:1 to the economy.

1% owns like 80% of the stock. They're betting on a quick turn around. Those of us with 401ks are in for the long haul and regular contributions regardless of index price.

from the article:

Dems terrified the economy will bounce back when the shutdown is lifted: “This is my big worry,” said a former Obama White House official ...level of concern among top party officials, he said, “It’s high — high, high, high, high.”

Forum List

Back