Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

But my question is: Why do these immigrants wait so long to start the legalization process???? 20 yrs and she never did that??? Something is very wrong with this picture. What they want is to come here illgally/legally and then wait for another amnesty - that saves them money and time. If they want to live in this country so badly, then do things the right way by coming here legally and then securing their future here by becoming part of this nation in every way possible!!!

I already covered this. She either gave birth on US soil or the child was fathered by a US citizen. There is no other way I know of to stay here that long without becoming naturalized.

You're appealing to emotion. The servicemember gives his/her life. You are sorry for YOUR loss, but the choice to give wasn't yours. It is the servicemember's.

You cannot give what is not yours to give.

Actually, no, I'm not appealing to emotion. Of course, I am sorry for my loss - I am human. But.... had I asked my SO to leave the Corps, he absolutely would have done to. So, in that respect, it was my choice. I would not ask him to give up something that he loved for me. No big deal to you - but to me, it was a hard one. Same with my brothers, one word from my Mom and they'd quit.

Are you kidding? I spent 20+ years in the Marines and was in one war. I had a wife and children, then was a single parent, then had a wife and a child.

You think I'm oblivious?

The argument appeals to emotion. Let her stay because she gave birth to someone who chose to join the US military and died as a result. That's about as good as "appeal to emotion" gets.

There's a BIG difference between "mom" and a SO. The impact on the SO; especially, a wife with children, IS significant and direct. For mom, it's emotional.

You seem unable to differentiate between the law and logic, and emotion here. There IS a difference. This topic is the former, not the latter.

Losing a son is not a prerequisite for US citizenship, nor should it be.

No, that's your point. It is not mine. Mine is the fact that she has been here - legally - for 20 years. That she has gone through all the checks. That her son was her sponsor and he died just before her paperwork was completed. It is unfair that because her son died in the service of this country, that she should fall at the final hurdle. That, mo chara, is logic - not emotion.

Actually, no, I'm not appealing to emotion. Of course, I am sorry for my loss - I am human. But.... had I asked my SO to leave the Corps, he absolutely would have done to. So, in that respect, it was my choice. I would not ask him to give up something that he loved for me. No big deal to you - but to me, it was a hard one. Same with my brothers, one word from my Mom and they'd quit.

Are you kidding? I spent 20+ years in the Marines and was in one war. I had a wife and children, then was a single parent, then had a wife and a child.

You think I'm oblivious?

The argument appeals to emotion. Let her stay because she gave birth to someone who chose to join the US military and died as a result. That's about as good as "appeal to emotion" gets.

There's a BIG difference between "mom" and a SO. The impact on the SO; especially, a wife with children, IS significant and direct. For mom, it's emotional.

You seem unable to differentiate between the law and logic, and emotion here. There IS a difference. This topic is the former, not the latter.

No, that's your point. It is not mine. Mine is the fact that she has been here - legally - for 20 years. That she has gone through all the checks. That her son was her sponsor and he died just before her paperwork was completed. It is unfair that because her son died in the service of this country, that she should fall at the final hurdle. That, mo chara, is logic - not emotion.

You're STILL including her son dying in service to this country as a factor. THAT is appealing to emotion.

We agree she should be allowed to stay. We just don't agree on why.

You think I'm oblivious?

You're STILL including her son dying in service to this country as a factor. THAT is appealing to emotion.

If he had died in a car accident, I'd say the same. I just happen to put more import on her son's service than you do. I factor in the 'emtional' context of 'they also serve who only stand and wait'.... possibly because even now, I am one of those who stands and waits.

If he had died in a car accident, I'd say the same. I just happen to put more import on her son's service than you do. I factor in the 'emtional' context of 'they also serve who only stand and wait'.... possibly because even now, I am one of those who stands and waits.

Whats his service got to do with her, wasn't he paid every month, you sign up, you should no the risk involved. thats the way it was when i was in.

Last edited:
I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.
You don't understand The Monster is out of control.The politicians don't even have power any more.
The " system/monster" is so out of control that Ted Fucking Kennedy wasn't allowed to board a commercial aircraft.
Think about that.Let it sink in.

Death stymies soldier son's bid to get mother green card
Thursday, February 25, 2010

By this time last year, Eugenia Galdos’ son had this February planned.

The 25-year-old Army sergeant, Christian Bueno-Galdos, would come home to Paterson on leave from his second tour of duty in Iraq, his mother finally would have legal immigration status, and together they’d take a trip to their native Peru, for the annual Carnival.

Instead, Christian Bueno-Galdos’ body lies at the Totowa Cemetery. And immigration officials have not yet decided on his 2008 application seeking U.S. permanent residency for his mother, who could face deportation.

Galdos was one of five soldiers killed last May by a distraught fellow trooper who opened fire on them at a medical clinic at Camp Liberty in Iraq.

"I go to his grave at least every other day," said Galdos, who is 54, dresses in black, and has a black ribbon hanging on the door to her apartment. "I keep his grave clear, neat, whether it’s clearing away the snow or placing flowers. Sometimes I feel a gnawing unrest, and my husband says ‘It’s because you must visit his grave today. Go to the cemetery, that is what is making you anxious.’ "

"It is important to visit him," Galdos said, in Spanish, in her neatly furnished apartment on Columbia Avenue, adorned with pictures of Christian in his Army uniform. "This is the biggest reason why I want to stay in this country, which Christian loved so much."

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

Christian, who decided in high school to enlist in the Army, made it a mission to help his mother gain her residency. In late 2008, after Christian submitted the petition on behalf of his mother, an immigration judge dismissed the deportation order and accepted her son’s application, Galdos said.

"Everything seemed to be moving along," she said.

But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality.

Carlos Bueno, who is 59 and says his health has declined dramatically since the death of his son, says he understands that immigration officials have their own priorities and a job to do.

But, he asked, "How can this situation be seen solely through legal technicalities? Why don’t they see a mother who wants to go to the grave of her son, who wants to always be with him, at least that way? One of my son’s last, strongest wishes was to help his mother get her legal residency. We’d like to see finished what Christian started."

Galdos almost had decided to send her youngest son’s body back to Peru to be buried.

But the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that this country had to be her son’s final resting place.

"This was truly his country," she said. "Yes, he loved Peru, but as more of a place to visit. This was home, this was the country he said he’d give his life up for defending, if it came to that."

His parents look at letters top Army officials sent to them, telling them what an asset Christian was to the military. The letters tell the parents how respected Christian was among his peers.

One official wrote that in his more than 20 years in the military, he’d never seen such an outpouring of love as he had at a memorial for Christian in Iraq.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

But....but...but she's an illegal. Are you asking for double standard here?

Don't matter who died, don't matter who served.

She is illegal.

Death stymies soldier son's bid to get mother green card
Thursday, February 25, 2010

By this time last year, Eugenia Galdos’ son had this February planned.

The 25-year-old Army sergeant, Christian Bueno-Galdos, would come home to Paterson on leave from his second tour of duty in Iraq, his mother finally would have legal immigration status, and together they’d take a trip to their native Peru, for the annual Carnival.

Instead, Christian Bueno-Galdos’ body lies at the Totowa Cemetery. And immigration officials have not yet decided on his 2008 application seeking U.S. permanent residency for his mother, who could face deportation.

Galdos was one of five soldiers killed last May by a distraught fellow trooper who opened fire on them at a medical clinic at Camp Liberty in Iraq.

"I go to his grave at least every other day," said Galdos, who is 54, dresses in black, and has a black ribbon hanging on the door to her apartment. "I keep his grave clear, neat, whether it’s clearing away the snow or placing flowers. Sometimes I feel a gnawing unrest, and my husband says ‘It’s because you must visit his grave today. Go to the cemetery, that is what is making you anxious.’ "

"It is important to visit him," Galdos said, in Spanish, in her neatly furnished apartment on Columbia Avenue, adorned with pictures of Christian in his Army uniform. "This is the biggest reason why I want to stay in this country, which Christian loved so much."

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

Christian, who decided in high school to enlist in the Army, made it a mission to help his mother gain her residency. In late 2008, after Christian submitted the petition on behalf of his mother, an immigration judge dismissed the deportation order and accepted her son’s application, Galdos said.

"Everything seemed to be moving along," she said.

But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality.

Carlos Bueno, who is 59 and says his health has declined dramatically since the death of his son, says he understands that immigration officials have their own priorities and a job to do.

But, he asked, "How can this situation be seen solely through legal technicalities? Why don’t they see a mother who wants to go to the grave of her son, who wants to always be with him, at least that way? One of my son’s last, strongest wishes was to help his mother get her legal residency. We’d like to see finished what Christian started."

Galdos almost had decided to send her youngest son’s body back to Peru to be buried.

But the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that this country had to be her son’s final resting place.

"This was truly his country," she said. "Yes, he loved Peru, but as more of a place to visit. This was home, this was the country he said he’d give his life up for defending, if it came to that."

His parents look at letters top Army officials sent to them, telling them what an asset Christian was to the military. The letters tell the parents how respected Christian was among his peers.

One official wrote that in his more than 20 years in the military, he’d never seen such an outpouring of love as he had at a memorial for Christian in Iraq.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

But....but...but she's an illegal. Are you asking for double standard here?

Don't matter who died, don't matter who served.

She is illegal.

Reading is fundamental. She is here legally and was going through proper channels.

Whats his service got to do with her, wasn't he paid every month, you sign up, you should no the risk involved. thats the way it was when i was in.

Because he was her fucking sponsor - are you really this stupid?

Oh wait...

This may be slightly off-topic since I'm not referring to this peruvian family in particular but green card soldiers are just another variation of the good old mercenary, soldier of fortune.

Only a nation of patriotic retards like the US glorifies this human scum.

José;2108049 said:
This may be slightly off-topic since I'm not referring to this peruvian family in particular but green card soldiers are just another variation of the good old mercenary, soldier of fortune.

Fuck off.

José;2108049 said:

Fuck off.

Awesome!!!!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself crimson.

Gunny you made a wise choice :D

Hey Gunny........she was supposed to be made permanent when her son returned from Iraq. She was almost all the way through the process, just had to have her sponsor stand up with her, and that's what they were going to do when he returned, then go to Peru on vacation to visit family.

Because of that, and because of her sacrifice, I say let her stay.

I have no problem with letting her stay.

I have a problem with the premise presented here. If all that was left was a formality, I'd say it's rather f-ed up to screw her over. That's different that trying to sell the "Cindy Sheehan syndrome" here.

See.......this is why I'm stating that she should be allowed to stay...........because she did everything LEGALLY, and her son EARNED HIS CITIZENSHIP VIA THE MILITARY.

He was THE US CITIZEN THAT SPONSORED HER HERE. It was also noted that they were at the end of the process. All checks were done, all boxes checked, she just had to stand up with her sponsor and be done.

He was her sponsor. Why? Because he loved his mother, and, seeing that he'd earned HIS citizenship, he decided to use that in a positive way to bring yet another useful person into this great country, because he'd seen all the things it was capable of.

He died. Why? Because some dumb shit asshole with a mental problem decided that because he'd had a bad day, he was going to take a few others with him.

It was unfair. This story is exceptional because of the things it has with it. And, exceptions are made for exceptional things.

All she had to do was the ceremony. She'd lost her son (she didn't sacrifice him, the douchebag that shot him did), and as a reward, for being so faithful and a good citizen, check the box.

No emotion here. Just what's fair.

José;2108049 said:

well your not too patriotic....but you are a spec of scum....mas puto...:eusa_eh:

Oh wait...

No dunce, do you think just because he served in the armed forces, she should get a free ticket to america? Why don't we post a sign at the border "Come join the military and your family gets to be legal citzs".

Why did I even bother to post the article if you're not going to read it?

She came here from Peru legally. Her son joined the military at 18 and was serving.

He got his US Citizenship from serving in the military, and then was sponsoring his mother so that she could have permanent status green card.

The application was almost finished when he was killed last month by that lunatic who shot up a mental clinic in Baghdad (her son was one of the victims).

Now? Because her sponsor was her son, her application to stay here is in danger.

I think she should be allowed to stay. She's been here legally for the past 20 years, and has given her own family in defense of this country.

That qualifies in my book.

Aren't you assuming?

I agree with others ... she hasn't done a thing and she didn't "give" anything. HE joined.

I would be more willing to argue she should be a US citizen IF the US allowed her stay for 20 years because SHE did that.

Apparently you aren't a mother....if you were you would understand. She gave EVERYTHING......she gave her CHILD in the service of our country. He DIED in the service of our country and the least we can do for both of them is let her stay.

I AM a mother, and I find it rather offensive to talk about "giving" a child to the US, as though 1) a 25-year-old man is a toddler in short pants, and 2) she wrapped a bow around his neck and presented him, with 3) him having no say in it. HE died. She didn't. I'm very sorry for her loss, but I would personally be ashamed of myself for trying to shoehorn myself into my adult children's life choices and sacrifices, as though they're nothing more than adjuncts of myself.

The least we can do for both of them - which also happens to be the CORRECT thing to do for both of them - is to continue the legally-required process they began, and consider his sacrifice as a factor, not the entire decision. If he was truly the patriotic American I assume him to have been, then he wouldn't have wanted the US to break the rules for him.

Why did I even bother to post the article if you're not going to read it?

She came here from Peru legally. Her son joined the military at 18 and was serving.

He got his US Citizenship from serving in the military, and then was sponsoring his mother so that she could have permanent status green card.

The application was almost finished when he was killed last month by that lunatic who shot up a mental clinic in Baghdad (her son was one of the victims).

Now? Because her sponsor was her son, her application to stay here is in danger.

I think she should be allowed to stay. She's been here legally for the past 20 years, and has given her own family in defense of this country.

That qualifies in my book.

Aren't you assuming?

I agree with others ... she hasn't done a thing and she didn't "give" anything. HE joined.

I would be more willing to argue she should be a US citizen IF the US allowed her stay for 20 years because SHE did that.

She gave her son. Is that not enough? We let all kinds of scummy bastards into this country every day. This woman, who has lived here legally for 20 years has given more than most.

The answer to that is to stop letting scummy bastards in, not to break the rules for even more people.

Oh wait...

No dunce, do you think just because he served in the armed forces, she should get a free ticket to america? Why don't we post a sign at the border "Come join the military and your family gets to be legal citzs".

Not because her son served. Back up here.

Her son was the citizen sponsoring her permanent residency. The permanent residency which was basically a done deal.

When you lose your sponsor, your application is pulled and you have to start over, which can include going back to your native country and starting over from scratch.

She lost her sponsor. Not because her sponsor changed his mind, or OD'd on heroin, or went to prison - but because he was killed while serving in Iraq. The fact that he was also her son just adds to the situation.

Under these circumstances and considering she'd already been here 20 years and gone through the checks and hurdles and hoops, what purpose does pulling her application because her son/sponsor was killed in uniform serve? Justice? Pfft.

I am actually ignoring that fact that you are comparing this poor woman to a Russian serial killer. The comparison is outrageous. This statement doesn't make you smart, it makes you a load that should have been swallowed.

Please don't try to pretend you're doing ME a favor by ignoring it, when we both know you're doing it for yourself, because you don't want to answer the fact that we don't KNOW if the comparison is outrageous or not. That's the whole point of having INS investigate people before giving them citizenship, asshat.

I only have to look smarter than you, and I could do that in a coma.

You do get that she has already been checked out right? She has already been investigated. She was on the last step. Now who looks like an asshat.

The reason I was ignoring it is because I find it absolutely reprehensible that you would compare a Gold Star mother to an executed serial killer. For what? To stroke your own ego? Fuck off.

Really? She's already been checked out? Then why are they still checking her out? Oh, I remember. You cavalierly declared, with absolutely no supportive proof, that this is just the INS being "fucked up".

Once again, the fact that a puerile ass clown like you finds something I said "reprehensible" is just proof that I need to say it again, only louder. How do you know that just because her son died in the military, that makes HER a good person, Miss Cleo? Did you pull your crystal ball out of your ass and "divine" that there's nothing wrong with this woman, the same way you "divined" that the checking-out process is finished, and that the INS is just jerking around for the hell of it?

By the way, love the repeated "fuck off". Just one more proof that you're too immature to have anything worthwhile to say. You apparently can't even cuss creatively.

Forum List

Back