Danger of US rules of war

bornright

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Texas
My question is who would join the military if they knew in advance the rules of war that would be placed on them before signing up. I joined the Marines during the Vietnam War and we had some very stupid rules of engagement that were placed on us. There is no doubt in my mind that it is even worse now. There is also no doubt in my mind that these rules have killed so many American personnel. It would be great to hear from the ones that have served in these recent wars their opinions.

My question is who would join the military if they knew in advance the rules of war that would be placed on them before signing up. I joined the Marines during the Vietnam War and we had some very stupid rules of engagement that were placed on us. There is no doubt in my mind that it is even worse now. There is also no doubt in my mind that these rules have killed so many American personnel. It would be great to hear from the ones that have served in these recent wars their opinions.
Roosevelt was the last President to allow Generals and Admirals to conduct wars. Since then it's been micro-management by inept presidents, the worst being the lump of shit who occupies the Oval Office as we speak.

I'm curious if you recall any of those rules during your time of service.

The only rules of war should be those that give us a clear advantage.

In other words, crush the enemy with any means that permit us to destroy them with minimum loss of our personnel, and at the cheapest price.

All the nonsense over collateral damage is nothing more than self-castration.

Roosevelt was the last President to allow Generals and Admirals to conduct wars. Since then it's been micro-management by inept presidents, the worst being the lump of shit who occupies the Oval Office as we speak.

Just wondering how many Obama's got killed and how many Bush Dubya got killed.

Bush seemed to be willing to dispense with US soldier's lives. He put Bremer in charge and got the Iraqi Army and Police turning into insurgents. Such a stupid decision, anyone with half a brain could have worked out what was going to happen.

But then if you look at the fact that the Republicans like war, like having a large military, get lots of funding from the defense industry, having a protracted insurgency in Iraq suited their needs. Having ISIS does also.

Presidential candidates can now talk about how they're going to be tough on ISIS, just as they'll be tough on crime at home. It sounds good to people. They've always done it.

War is too important to be left to the Generals.

Or the Presidents...

Dr%2BStrangelove%2B4%2BRipper.jpg

Bush seemed to be willing to dispense with US soldier's lives. He put Bremer in charge and got the Iraqi Army and Police turning into insurgents. Such a stupid decision, anyone with half a brain could have worked out what was going to happen.

But then if you look at the fact that the Republicans like war, like having a large military, get lots of funding from the defense industry, having a protracted insurgency in Iraq suited their needs. Having ISIS does also.

Presidential candidates can now talk about how they're going to be tough on ISIS, just as they'll be tough on crime at home. It sounds good to people. They've always done it.
Nobody likes wars. Nobody wants wars. But if there must be a war, the only way to win is to turn the conduct of war over to the Generals and Admirals and say, "Git 'er done." That is the only way and there are no other ways.

Nobody likes wars. Nobody wants wars. But if there must be a war, the only way to win is to turn the conduct of war over to the Generals and Admirals and say, "Git 'er done." That is the only way and there are no other ways.
situation_room_6.jpg

I can relate many stupid ass ROEs.

situation_room_6.jpg
Where's Bubba?

Every time I think, thank God, they learned their lesson, those stupid sheep are just going to elect those they have unelected for obvious reasons before. So, I am not going to vote and we all should boycott our elections in the western hemisphere.

Then again in Iraq it was won by the Generals and lost by the politicians, like Bremer etc. They took over AFTER the war was supposedly won.

yes....but I am more interested in what is going on now and the future.

With Military service being voluntary perhaps it is just that all have a clear concise list of what the rules of engagement there will be before they are sent to battle. There is no greater morale destroyer than some of these rules of engagement. As a military man you feel as though the government places no value on your safety perhaps because they don't.

With Military service being voluntary perhaps it is just that all have a clear concise list of what the rules of engagement there will be before they are sent to battle. There is no greater morale destroyer than some of these rules of engagement. As a military man you feel as though the government places no value on your safety perhaps because they don't.

You know that's not how it works or will ever work. ....Marine...because a macro list of ROE would not take into account Military Lawyers taking part in battlefield operational planning, secret lists of untouchable targets, etc, etc

You know that's not how it works or will ever work. ....Marine...because a macro list of ROE would not take into account Military Lawyers taking part in battlefield operational planning, secret lists of untouchable targets, etc, etc
It may be more from non military politicians. Politicians that have never served in battle or even in the military make way to many decisions on how to do war. They do not have us in mind.

During WW2 the strategy was to

What were the so-called "stupid rules of engagement" during the Vietnam War? Anyone who was there knows that there were no rules of engagement. During WW2 the strategy was to kill civilians and hope that the government surrendered. During Korea civilians who got in the way were eliminated and in Vietnam civilians casualties weren't considered in military operations. The problem with Vietnam was that the idiots who ran the war thought that killing civilians would convince the enemy that had endured a hundred years of killing civilians to surrender. Even NK general Giap said the NK were finally exhausted after Tet but it took the American media and Walter Cronkite to convince LBJ that the war was lost.

What were the so-called "stupid rules of engagement" during the Vietnam War? Anyone who was there knows that there were no rules of engagement. During WW2 the strategy was to kill civilians and hope that the government surrendered. During Korea civilians who got in the way were eliminated and in Vietnam civilians casualties weren't considered in military operations. The problem with Vietnam was that the idiots who ran the war thought that killing civilians would convince the enemy that had endured a hundred years of killing civilians to surrender. Even NK general Giap said the NK were finally exhausted after Tet but it took the American media and Walter Cronkite to convince LBJ that the war was lost.
You must watch a lot of movies.

Yeah, nothing worse than a president who thinks that he is the Commander in Chief of the Military. Whatever could give one that idea? It's like they believe in "the supremacy of the civil over the military authority" or some such commienism!

No one who actually fought in Vietnam would make such an erroneous statement. Crippling ROE got a lot of good American boys killed. And btw you mean NVA instead of NK. And killing civilians was both policy and recreation for the VC.

Forum List

Back