DOD Seeking to Replace the Humvee

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
It's been around for thirty years and some feel it's time to replace them. But, Congress has a say-so. And, as normally happens, it won't depend upon which model is “best” but which manufacturer has the biggest clout in congressional committees.

oshkosh-jltv.jpg

lockheed-martin-jltv.jpg

am-general.jpg

Read the story @ Here are the 3 military vehicles vying to replace the Humvee - Business Insider

They field tested some of the trucks in Afghanistan. I thought they were ridiculously large and expensive.

There's NO WAY we can afford to replace $50K vehicles with $800K (?) vehicles. (They don't specify a price tag I noticed)

Besides that there are THOUSANDS of MRAPs the DOD is scrapping. There is no need to make a new truck, these things are awsome. They are just as manuverable as these new trucks. When the pentagon pisses and moans about budget cuts it's amazing how they're never called to task by ANYONE in congress or the media for how much they waste. When they do make cuts, it's the soldiers and personel who suffer.

http://archive.defensenews.com/article/20140105/DEFREG02/301050007/Majority-US-MRAPs-Scrapped-Stored

I think the program is not a total replacement, but to replace Humvee's that have to be modified for combat or near combat purposes.

So running around on a base will still be done in a Hummer, going out on patrol would be in the new vehicle.

And in case you didn't know, demilitarized Humvees routinely come up for sale at military bases for low, low prices.

They seem to be better than the MRAPS but are still impractical because of their size and cost

Forum List

Back