Craig's List Camera Find...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
When I travel, one of the things I always do is check the local Craig's List. I've gotten great deals on various things in the past, like a $700 Rolex Submariner and a $900 Gibson Les Paul Custom. Well, yesterday I found what I think is a pretty decent score.

We're visiting my daughter and son in law in Seattle, and I found a local guy who was selling this Canon FP camera:

312624484_403401655189616_3203126039306932745_n.jpg

The camera hit the market in October of 1964 and, if I've done my math correctly (always suspect) the original price was right around $29. It's virtually identical to the Canon FX of the same era, the only difference being that the FX has an onboard light meter where the FP does not. The addition of the light meter added an additional $5 to the cost of the FX. Canon offered both because, at the time, hand-held light meters were prevalent, and someone using an on board meter was quickly labeled a neophyte.

Despite that, the FP didn't sell well and has become somewhat of a unicorn for collectors.

This is a shot from camera-wiki:

3984109753_b89defd9c5.jpg

Even more rare are the black-body versions. I haven't been able to track down any black-body FP bodies, and only three black-body FX's are known to still exist.

The lens is a 50mm f/1.8 FL. The FL lens mount was replaced by the Canon FD mount, which was introduced with the Canon F-1 in 1971.

So far as I can tell, the camera is in perfect operating condition, although both the body and the lens will require a good cleaning.

And the best part? It was only $60.

It's been a long, long time since I've used a 100% manual camera, so I'm looking forward to messing with this. My daughter has a photo studio in downtown Seattle, so we'll go there to process the film I shoot. I'm not looking to capture any Bruce Davidson level stuff, but I'll share some shots if I get anything decent...

I used to buy and sell film camera's quite a bit years ago.

One of the reasons I opted to go with Nikon for digital is that you can still use the old lenses.

You can still get film for those things?

I have a photographic memory, but I ran out of "brain" film long ago.

One of the reasons I opted to go with Nikon for digital is that you can still use the old lenses.
Aren't there focusing issues? I still have my old Nikkormat FT2 that has been all around the world with me (the film advance arm actually froze on me at the top of Mount Fuji) And I would love to not see it in a landfill, but there doesn't seem to be any market for film cameras any longer.

Aren't there focusing issues? I still have my old Nikkormat FT2 that has been all around the world with me (the film advance arm actually froze on me at the top of Mount Fuji) And I would love to not see it in a landfill, but there doesn't seem to be any market for film cameras any longer.

No issues in general with most. I'm not saying every lens they ever made still works but many do.

You can still get film for those things?

I have a photographic memory, but I ran out of "brain" film long ago.

Yes, I shoot AGFA film in my Leica's

Yeah, that's pretty much my only bitch with Canon...

Forum List

Back